Menu

Correct pencil grip

I can’t believe I am typing this, but if you had a 9h grader with incorrect pencil grip, left handed, and with terrible handwriting, what would you do? 

Teachers at PS never corrected this child saying left handed people often write that way. I would care only that his handwriting is scandalous. 

How terrible are we talking about. Can teachers grade his handwritten answers to his homework? 

For example DS12’s handwriting isn’t as pretty as DS13’s. His German teacher can grade his handwritten sentences and short paragraphs. Whoever graded his AP computer science A exam two years ago could read his handwriting. His summer chemistry teacher and current math teacher can read his handwriting enough to grade his handwritten quizzes/tests answers to FRQs. 

Both my kids probably can qualify as ambidextrous and their left hand grip is one of those HWOT ones (https://www.lwtears.com/files/HoldOnYouHavetoTeachGrip.pdf). My left hand grip is correct while my right hand grip is wrong because I’m actually a left hander with a weaker right hand. 

My current 9th grader is a sulky teen. I’ll work on the handwriting being legible to teachers and for things like AP exams. I did pass my exams from 1st grade to postgrad with a wrong grip so correctly a grip would be low on my priority for a 9th grader unless he is dealing with wrist pain/arm strain. DS13 had wrist pain with the correct grip. He had to strengthen his right hand over the years.

ETA:

The position of paper in this link is how we write with left hand http://handedness.org/action/leftwrite.html

Edited by Arcadia

DS has dysgraphia. When we switched from homeschooling to brick and mortar school at the beginning of fifth grade, he was evaluated by an OT as part of his IEP. They said that by that age, handwriting is pretty set. So he had accommodations put into his IEP, but no therapy.

I think it's unlikely that a teens are going to improve their handwriting skills, unless they, themselves, desire to.

If they are motivated, you could look for an OT that is willing to work with a teen.

14 hours ago, Storygirl said:

DS has dysgraphia. When we switched from homeschooling to brick and mortar school at the beginning of fifth grade, he was evaluated by an OT as part of his IEP. They said that by that age, handwriting is pretty set. So he had accommodations put into his IEP, but no therapy.

I think it's unlikely that a teens are going to improve their handwriting skills, unless they, themselves, desire to.

If they are motivated, you could look for an OT that is willing to work with a teen.

So you think keep the grip he has and work on handwriting or change the grip first? He is using something called lateral tripod grip. I can’t believe they have names!

arcadia, I don’t know how bad it is. I think it’s bad enough that I am worried about grading issues if he takes AP exam.

He is motivated now that he is facing exams, but we don’t simply know what to do. 

Edited by Roadrunner

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Arcadia, I don’t know how bad it is. I think it’s bad enough that I am worried about grading issues if he takes AP exam.

Let me figure out how to take a photo with my phone and post the photo (done that before but forgot). DS12’s handwritting is ugly but legible. Also does he write better with pen or pencil because some AP exams are pen only. So I would work on handwriting practice with a pen if I am short on time. My kids strongly prefer pencil and would only use pens for exams if pencils aren’t allowed.

I find it easier to work on handwriting than grip once habit has set in for years. However I would ask the pediatrician for a referral to an evaluation if his handwriting is illegible and/or causing him pain. Our insurance needs pediatrician referral for in-network evaluations.

• Like 1

I have found this research report on pencil grips very interesting. (PDF download)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/4108/TMP.objres.23.pdf%3Fsequence&ved=2ahUKEwiEvvv4_b_dAhUPGnwKHWuoA58QFjAPegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw0IuncfQfnxg1UA1btqPbRt&cshid=1537116832830

The lateral tripod grip falls in the category they name "power grip with ease" --grips in this category were found to be quite efficient.

There really isn't one grip that is best for everyone.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1