Menu

Cursive book

BakersDozen

I taught "clock-face" handwriting from The Writing Road To Reading,  both print and cursive letters are grouped by formation/stroke . There are a few home made workbooks available online for this font (search Clock-face handwriting practice and you should get a hit or three, but after that just hand the kids a pen and a blank notebook and require they write neatly.

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

The D'nealian books do that.
We're using Spencerian this year which starts out teaching strokes and then letter formation by stroke.  It's very distinct, though, so probably not what you're looking for.

What are you using for Spencerian and how do you like it?

7 minutes ago, Gil said:

What are you using for Spencerian and how do you like it?

I'm using the basic brown books.  So far, we both like it a lot.  My 8yo is transitioning to a fountain pen this year and the pages are sturdy enough that the ink doesn't bleed through if he holds his pen in place.  I'm having him do a rotation through the pages for 5 minutes per day, so our week last week looked something like this:
Day 1: set timer, go over stroke 1, pointing out where to start, where to finish, and good posture. Practice for the rest of the time
Day 2: set timer, go over stroke 2 & 3, practice one line, then practice stroke 1 again.
Day 3: set timer, practice a half line of stroke 2, then half line of stroke 1, then turn to the third page in the book that shows how 2 and 1 combine to make the letter i.  Practice using the two together.
Day 4: set timer, practice stroke 2, practice stroke 1, combine for letter i for the rest of the time.

So, it is slow, but it is careful work.  After he gets the basic strokes down it'll go a bit quicker through the alphabet and copywork.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 2:55 PM, Moonhawk said:

Pretty sure New American Cursive was by stroke, not letter. I can't find any of the workbooks to check, but I vaguely remember that being the case.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/penmanship/new-american-cursive-1/

I will warn that this has very little instruction in it, and my DD found it confusing. 

We have liked Catholic Heritage Curriculum better (cursive is grade 3), which actually seems to group in an unusual way - by most used I think. The idea is that by the end of the first week they are reading and writing real words, using only letters they have been explicitly taught. My DD found this very exciting, and has liked it much better than NAC.