Menu

I figured out how to share puppy videos . . .

gardenmom5

I started loading them to youtube . . .

I had tried to send them, but they were too big.

he kept  knocking over his water dish - it was as fun a game as any toddler tossing stuff of their high chair.  so, I got dishes he couldn't knock over.  so - he barked like crazy.  I put food in it hoping he'd get over it.  he was quite suspicious. you can see, he was ready to flee even after he started eating.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Oh my word!!!  I need a puppy!  What kind is he?  Gosh, this is the cutest video!  You made my day, gardenmom! 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

What a cutie! 

He's definitely NOT a lab. Ours doesn't have time to notice the bowl, because ...  FOOD!!!!

Australian labradoodle multi-gen. sm-med.   he'll be about 17" and 25lbs.  they back breed for coat, shape, and size.   he had the confirmation they wanted -and if he'd been a girl, they'd have kept him for breeding.  (would you believe his dad is black and his mom is brown?)  he's very sweet.

dd wanted something soft.   they have three types of coats with the doodles.  his is the nice fleece coat, not as curly as a poodle, and not straight/shedding like a lab.

he's finally starting to learn to like fetch.   but doesn't play more than a few rounds. . . unlike the lab at the dog park where the woman was using a throwing helper . . 30 minutes later . . the dog was like - throw it already!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 11:33 AM, gardenmom5 said:

Australian labradoodle multi-gen. sm-med.   he'll be about 17" and 25lbs. 

Must be bred with a miniature poodle. I would guess the lab drives the desire for food, and the poodle drives the observation that it's a new bowl. ? Makes for a fun reaction to watch!

26 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Must be bred with a miniature poodle. I would guess the lab drives the desire for food, and the poodle drives the observation that it's a new bowl. ? Makes for a fun reaction to watch!

somewhere was a miniature poodle.  that would have been several generations back, as he's a multi-gen as his grandparents were sm/med labradoodles. (and probably their parents too. -the breeder has the parentage info on her website.)

so poodles bark at new things?  he freaked out at dh's cowbell - after i rang it.  then there was the sprinkler .. he now likes to try and eat the water.  but barked when it was new.  even though he's past that 100 days - we're still trying to introduce new things to him.

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

somewhere was a miniature poodle.  that would have been several generations back, as he's a multi-gen as his grandparents were sm/med labradoodles. (and probably their parents too. -the breeder has the parentage info on her website.)

so poodles bark at new things?  he freaked out at dh's cowbell - after i rang it.  then there was the sprinkler .. he now likes to try and eat the water.  but barked when it was new.  even though he's past that 100 days - we're still trying to introduce new things to him.

We have a lab and a standard poodle. I don't know that our poodle would bark at new things, as he's not a barker at all. He also 6 years old, and we didn't have him in the puppy stage. Our lab is a puppy, and he'll react to things like new sounds, water, etc. But when it comes to food, he only cares about consuming it!

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

We have a lab and a standard poodle. I don't know that our poodle would bark at new things, as he's not a barker at all. He also 6 years old, and we didn't have him in the puppy stage. Our lab is a puppy, and he'll react to things like new sounds, water, etc. But when it comes to food, he only cares about consuming it!

the standard poodles I've known - hardly ever barked.  it was significant when they did.

they were crossbred with australian labradors to make a labradoodle.  I don't know enough about their personalities.  (supposedly they're less 'mouthy' than a goldendoodle)

36 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

He is adorable!  I love how he stopped barking twice to just look at you with a  "this doesn't concern you?  you should do something...help!" look.  What is his name (if you don't mind saying)?  I just want to hug him!

Cedar Augustus.

2ds, who can be . . . a smart alec, added the Augustus.  which is apropos as 1dd was a classics major.

I wonder why they call them Australian labrador instead of Australian retriever? Labrador is a place - the mainland part of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The full name of the common breed is Labrador retriever. There are other kinds of retrievers (curly coated, Chesapeake Bay, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling, etc.), but I've never heard of the Australian labrador. Kind of strange. It's a cute dog, though.

Edited by wintermom

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I wonder why they call them Australian labrador instead of Australian retriever? Labrador is a place - the mainland part of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The full name of the common breed is Labrador retriever. There are other kinds of retrievers (curly coated, Chesapeake Bay, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling, etc.), but I've never heard of the Australian labrador. Kind of strange. It's a cute dog, though.

Labrador is a place that gave rise to a breed that is now bred in other places.

the first Austrailian Labradoodles were bred in 1988 in Austraila, where it is an officially recognized breed.

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Labrador is a place that gave rise to a breed that is now bred in other places.

the first Austrailian Labradoodles were bred in 1988 in Austraila, where it is an officially recognized breed.

I think it's probably because of the "labradoodle" term. Maybe other places have their own twist on the original labrador retriever and poodle mix as well, and this is the Aussie's contribution to the mix. I'd not seen that soft, fuzzy look before. And they seem a lot smaller than the labradoodles I see around here, where they use standard poodles. 

44 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I think it's probably because of the "labradoodle" term. Maybe other places have their own twist on the original labrador retriever and poodle mix as well, and this is the Aussie's contribution to the mix. I'd not seen that soft, fuzzy look before. And they seem a lot smaller than the labradoodles I see around here, where they use standard poodles. 

Labradoodles were bred in Australia first.1988. that's where the breed originated.   Bred as a hypoallergenic service dog. 

They are officially recognized by the Australian Kennel Clubs as a distinct breed, with specific conformations and breed requirements.  they arrived in the US much later, and are NOT recognized by American Kennel Clubs.  in the US - there are a lot of backyard breeders who will slap a poodle and a lab together and call it a labradoodle.  they can do that because the AKC doesn't recognize the breed, so there is no registration.  you get a lot of inconsistency that way.

Labradoodles have three types of coats. the curly poodle coat, the fleece coat, and a straighter coat.  

they come in two sizes - standard, and sm/med.   the sm/med has miniature poodle in it's background. there's a strict limit to how much poodle is allow in it's background - .  then it's back to only the labradoodles for breeding.  his australian doodle background goes back generations with no poodle.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Labradoodles were bred in Australia first.1988. that's where the breed originated.   Bred as a hypoallergenic service dog. 

They are officially recognized by the Australian Kennel Clubs as a distinct breed, with specific conformations and breed requirements.  they arrived in the US much later, and are NOT recognized by American Kennel Clubs.  in the US - there are a lot of backyard breeders who will slap a poodle and a lab together and call it a labradoodle.  they can do that because the AKC doesn't recognize the breed, so there is no registration.  you get a lot of inconsistency that way.

Labradoodles have three types of coats. the curly poodle coat, the fleece coat, and a straighter coat.  

they come in two sizes - standard, and sm/med.   the sm/med has miniature poodle in it's background. there's a strict limit to how much poodle is allow in it's background - .  then it's back to only the labradoodles for breeding.  his australian doodle background goes back generations with no poodle.

That's interesting that Australia started doing it for service dog purposes. Our poodle is part of the breeding program for guide dogs for the blind in Canada, and was recently bred with a lab. The litter is definitely the "shaggy" coat version that sheds (we boarded one of the puppies for a while). Thinking that "hypoallergenic" in only a hopeful term in many cases. Our lab is a puppy in the guide dog for the blind program and has obedience classes with our poodle's litter. The labradoodles are hilarious to watch! They have huge feet, long legs, big lab heads and bodies, and shaggy coats. Not quite the dignified service dog look. ?

Edited by wintermom