Menu

New med making me sleepy

Scarlett

I have unexplained cysts on my fingers.....we are in round 2 of blood tests to rule out an autoimmune....and I don't sleep.  So to help with the insomnia and the joint pain Dr. prescribed me amitriptyline.  He knows I am sensitive to meds...so started me out at 1/2 a pill.  Last night was my 5th night taking it....and I am so sleepy I can barely type. Maybe I am taking it too late at night....not sure...but if this doesn't ease up there is no way I can keep taking it.  I literally just fell asleep in my chair at my desk as I was typing this!  Ugh!

Anyone with any experience with this?  

I took it for headaches, though I don't remember having that side effect, probably because I was also on prednisone at the time, which made sleep almost impossible.

Most drugs like that take about 6 weeks to adjust to.  I'd move the dose back to like 7 pm and see if that helps.

I had to quit taking a medication because it made me so sleepy.  I fell asleep at the wheel for a split second and decided I was done with it.

Please, please do not drive until you are sure that the medication is completely out of your system.

• Like 3

I take that for IBS issues. Completely knocked me out the first two-ish weeks, but after that much better.  Had no idea how poorly I was sleeping before (because I was getting up twice a night to walk off cramping intestines and dry heaving!).  Now I sleep through it.

I take it about 7:00ish and am falling asleep just before 11:00pm, and I’m not sleepy during the day, unless I’ve stayed up too late the night before. The only side effect now is very vivid, memorable dreams every single night.  That can be annoying.

I take amitriptyline for back pain. Scarlett, how many milligrams are you taking?

When I first started taking it (75 mg), it put me out like a light. Now I take mine around 7 p.m. hoping that by 10 p.m. I'll fall asleep.

Fyi: it causes very dry mouth. I just keep a water bottle or something to drink nearby.

Alley

I just got home from the doc with a bottle of this medicine. The purpose for me is to help me sleep and with headache pain. After reading this thread, I'm really glad he is starting me at 10 mg. Within two weeks, I'm to increase it to 20. Hopefully I won't have the same side effect you are experiencing because I am already exhausted all the time. I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy.

6 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I just got home from the doc with a bottle of this medicine. The purpose for me is to help me sleep and with headache pain. After reading this thread, I'm really glad he is starting me at 10 mg. Within two weeks, I'm to increase it to 20. Hopefully I won't have the same side effect you are experiencing because I am already exhausted all the time. I'm sorry you are feeling so lousy.

Well today was MUCH better......last night was the 6th night I took it....second night of taking it earlier.,. I slept really well from 9:30 until 3:30 and then so so until 6:00.  Taking it earlier has definitely helped.  And I do believe my joint pain is improved.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Well today was MUCH better......last night was the 6th night I took it....second night of taking it earlier.,. I slept really well from 9:30 until 3:30 and then so so until 6:00.  Taking it earlier has definitely helped.  And I do believe my joint pain is improved.  

This is so good to know! I didn't remember that I had to take my new meds last night until bedtime so remembering this thread I skipped taking it at all. I'll try better today to remember that I need to take it early. Maybe I'll set an alarm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

This is so good to know! I didn't remember that I had to take my new meds last night until bedtime so remembering this thread I skipped taking it at all. I'll try better today to remember that I need to take it early. Maybe I'll set an alarm.

I forgot until 9:30 last night.  But I still took it and I am fine today.  I think it is worse sitting at my desk....working around the house I don't feel sleepy at all.  I will check in when I work at the office next Tuesday!.

• Like 1