Menu

Article on methanol in re neurological issues including asd

Pen

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987715002443

FWIW. —  In case this would be of interest to someone. Note, I was already informed by someone on Learning Challenges that Snopes apparently thinks this is not true or not significant and apparently ????? that methanol is safe for human consumption.  I am not interested in a debate on that. 

56 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

Is there methanol in bottled orange juice?

Apparently it develops in all bottled and canned fruits and vegetables and their juices.

The longer the time in the bottle the more it would probably have.  So, I don’t know, but am thinking that a company in our area which bottles fresh squeezed orange juice with an expiry date only a few days away probably would be pretty free of it   And I think someone told me that frozen juice doesn’t have as much methanol build up .

Except currant and tomato  apparently have methanol even when fresh. 

The traditional Italian method of preparing tomato sauces where the tomato sauce summers a long time is supposed to get rid of the methanol so long as there is no lid keeping it in. 

But I expect orange juice would be yucky if simmered for several hours. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

That could be an interesting new avenue to explore. I hope that more studies will be generated to confirm or rebuke this theory. I am left with several thoughts:

I would think that there are also plenty of women who drank aspartame-containing-beverages and did not birth children with autism, so I wonder what other mechanism would be in play. 

And...this seems like a fairly easy thing to change, if accurate, that could help curtail the rise. But, I hate to see autism linked to something that is related to maternal consumption/anything decisions. If it is accurate, then of course it's better to know. I just know that it is easy for moms to bear so much blame/shame/guilt for stuff like this as it is. It feels like the weight of the world is on every decision we make for our children!

• Like 5

If bottled / canned fruit and vegetables are a problem then I would think that would also apply to baby food in jars. 

I also hope more will be learned to know if this has an impact or not and it may be that more than one thing has an impact. 

@jewellsmommy I don’t think mom’s should feel responsible for doing things they did not know to be a problem. If they tried to be healthy for their baby to best of ability what more could be done?

Interesting article! I read a little about methanol and dietary sources just to see what else popped up, and it sounds like some people might produce more methanol in their gut than other people do. 

We are not big juice people or artificial sweetener people, but I do have a really messed up gut.

https://cot.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/cot/cotstatementmethanol201102revjuly.pdf

This is an earlier article, but it's interesting that they talk about folic acid in here. It makes me wonder if there is some validity within a subset of people but not across the population as a whole. Isn't folic acid something that works differently for people with MTHFR, for example? I know very little about this, just that MTHFR seems to make some people really suspectible to all kinds of things.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Interesting article! I read a little about methanol and dietary sources just to see what else popped up, and it sounds like some people might produce more methanol in their gut than other people do. 

We are not big juice people or artificial sweetener people, but I do have a really messed up gut.

https://cot.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/cot/cotstatementmethanol201102revjuly.pdf

This is an earlier article, but it's interesting that they talk about folic acid in here. It makes me wonder if there is some validity within a subset of people but not across the population as a whole. Isn't folic acid something that works differently for people with MTHFR, for example? I know very little about this, just that MTHFR seems to make some people really suspectible to all kinds of things.

That was interesting.   

21 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Vitamin D and serotonin in the gut may play a role in autism.

Glyphosate’s effect on beneficial gut bacteria by way of the shikimate pathway may play a role as well.

This all sounds interesting.

I think glyphosate is much worse than it has been made out to be   by some people   But I have not heard anything specific about effects on beneficial gut bacteria or shikimate pathways

Vitamin D and serotonin in the gut being too low? Or too high? Or something else entirely?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pen said:

This all sounds interesting.

I think glyphosate is much worse than it has been made out to be   by some people   But I have not heard anything specific about effects on beneficial gut bacteria or shikimate pathways

Vitamin D and serotonin in the gut being too low? Or too high? Or something else entirely?

The effects of low levels of Vitamin D.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140226110836.htm

Rhonda Patrick, researcher mentioned in the link above, studies autism. She has a number of interesting articles about it.

There’s also a triple-board certified doctor who has written about glyphosate and autism. Can’t recall his name.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

The effects of low levels of Vitamin D.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140226110836.htm

Rhonda Patrick, researcher mentioned in the link above, studies autism. She has a number of interesting articles about it.

There’s also a triple-board certified doctor who has written about glyphosate and autism. Can’t recall his name.

Wow. If getting D levels raised could lower asd rate that would be wonderful. Mouse studies look impressive. 

8 hours ago, Pen said:

If bottled / canned fruit and vegetables are a problem then I would think that would also apply to baby food in jars. 

I also hope more will be learned to know if this has an impact or not and it may be that more than one thing has an impact. 

@jewellsmommy I don’t think mom’s should feel responsible for doing things they did not know to be a problem. If they tried to be healthy for their baby to best of ability what more could be done?

I agree. They absolutely should not feel badly! You can only work with the info you have and most moms are doing the best they can. Some women feel guilt about things they shouldn't though. I tend to be one of those who looks back and says, "If only I had zigged instead of zagged..." Even if I was going on the best info I had. Then there are other people in our lives that try to instill guilt in us, like the mother-in-law that would read that article and tell her dil, "see! I told you that diet sodas were bad! I told you how I only drank water when I was pregnant..(blah blah blah)." You see this type of thing over foods with picky eaters or moms who have to put kids in daycare or vaccinations or breastfeeding/bottles etc. 

• Like 1

I'm certain my D levels were low during pregnancy.

I've got one twin with autism and his twin brother who isn't on the spectrum at all. 

And that's not at all uncommon with fraternal twins--who are no more likely to be concordant with autism than any other siblings in separate pregnancies. But, if I recall, with identical twins the concordance is near 100%.

I've not looked into this recently, but it always comes to me when I read articles talking about mother actions during pregnancy and autism. It feels off given what I know about twin studies. And also with the, I'm near certain, truth that lots of different genetic things underlie autism. So my son's autism is probably not the same genes as my friend's child. And whatever maternal factors triggered my son's genetic differences, if any, wouldn't likely be the same as the child with different genetics. Right?