Menu

What Gifts are Your CHildren Making this Year?

Unfortunately nothing too exciting or unique this year, but they should turn out nice:

-hand painted wood picture frames decorated with dollar store jewels and various other craft items. Each child is making one for each grandparent and will include a picture of themselves in the frame

-Starbucks coffee mugs- the kind where you make a scrapbook page- these will go to some aunts/uncles who drink tea/coffee

I am thinking of having them make a few other items but haven't decided what yet so this is a timely thread for me.:bigear:

Knitted scarves! My daughter learned to knit this year and absolutely loves it! She is making scarves for everyone she cares about. Each scarf uses a different stitch pattern or other technique or is made from a different kind of yarn (like Fun Fur, cotton yarn, twisty yarn, wool for felting, etc.) so that she can challenge herself as she works.

We always take a family photo and give grandparents copies for Christmas. This year I found some photo frame kits at Lakeshore with markers to decorate them. They were on sale for $7.99 and I picked them up. We also will do some cookies that I will let the boys make as much by themselves as possible.

In the past, we have done handprint oven mitts, chocolate/sprinkle covered pretzels, and peppermint bark....what are your little ones making for the grandparents, etc this year? :bigear:

Melissa in St Louis

Crocheting and knitting cotton dish clothes. Nothing too exciting, but they are doing them all on their own and I think that is pretty neat. :D

My children all help with the food gifts which is what we give to grandparents, coaches, leaders, etc.

One of my 9 yo dd is in a 4-H group, and they are making Christmas Ornaments for each of the girls in the group. Apparently this is a tradition. This is our first year in the group. The leader sent me this link, and it has a lot of ideas.

http://www.nicolecrafts.com/

Jennie

My son is making snowflake ornaments for friends, teachers, etc. I bought unfinished wooden cut-outs, which he will paint and then finish with spray glitter.

My daughter decided to make God's eyes for her friends and dorm-mates. She ordered the supplies and has been working on them in her spare time at school. So, I haven't seen any yet.

The ornament thing is kind of a tradition in our family.

Otherwise, my son wants to make something out of wood for both his dad and his sister. I'm thinking he might like woodburning. We're headed to the craft store later today to see what we can see.

For the last several years, my daughter has personalized a nutcracker for her brother. (He dances, including in The Nutcracker, and has a collection of them.) I think it started when she dressed a nutcracker in a miniature of the cast T-shirt from his first production. Last year, she copied his Halloween costume. This year, I think she wants to dress the nutcracker in a ruff and robe like my son's choir wears. This one will be a bit tricky, since we need to find a nutcracker to start with that doesn't have a beard.

My 16 yr old is making socks and fingerless mittens for gifts this year. She used bulky yarn and had one pair done in less than a day. Socks aren't so quick, but she'll get a few pair done.

Paula

How does she do this? I would love to know if there is a website or source she is using. I love the idea. We made sox one year from very thick yarn and a knitting loom. They are heavenly in the winter!

My 'little one' is now 16yo, but what she is planning to make, I think almost any age could do. She bought white sweat shirts and fabric markers and we have an iron-on pattern book that has been laying around the house for 7 years now.......she will iron on the pattern and color the design. Voila! Instant gift. And they look really nice.

My 9dd and I are making "I'm Thankful for You" baskets for her coop teachers (we break on 11/20 and don't return until Jan, so we couldn't do Christmas). We will be doing Christmas versions for all the aunts and uncles. They will include:

homemade soap-this has been so much fun to do, and she can basically do it by herself now after a couple of runs with me. We found charms, little toys, etc to represent what they teach and put in the soap.

homemade brown sugar scrub, with a cute label we made-found the jars for 50 cents each at Michael's.

two fall colored taper candles tied together with a pretty ribbon

her art project made into bookmarks

mini cranberry-pumpkin loaves, mini pumpkin pies, mini pumpkin-choc. chip muffins, and some nice store bought chocolates

cute Mary Engelbreit notepads I got at Michael's for a dollar each

If we have time, we will try to make a magnet also. The Christmas baskets will have mini choc. chip pecan pies instead of Pumpkin, and some homemade candy (buckeyes and white choc. pretzels), homemade Christmas ornament of some kind, and I think we are going to try to make fabric coasters. whew, we've got a busy month ahead of us!

My kids are making an ABC book for their grandparents. A is for _______ with a picture (they use pictures or clip art) for things that they appreciate about their grandparents. We did it for one set of grandparents last year and it was their most special gift. It shows the grandparents that the kids are really thankful for all the little things they do for them. We are doing it for the other set this year.