Menu

Wwyd? Car repair

Scarlett

I googled "used Volkswagen parts" (without the quote marks. This URL is one near the top. It would be interesting to know if a place like that has the transmission the vehicle needs what it would cost you, including shipping, plus the Labor of someone removing the old transmission and replacing it with one you buy. And, importantly, would there be any guarantee on the transmission you buy?

https://www.chuckandeddies.com/used-volkswagen-parts/

I think I read that it is hard to find people to work on VWs in that area, so that would probably make owning a VW there not a good idea.

If you cannot get the vehicle operating again, look at selling it to a Wrecking Yard that specializes in VW parts.

7 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

I would definitely be car shopping with numbers like that.  $5000+ for a rebuilt transmission seems really high even for a VW but if you live in an area without a lot of VW shops, I can see why it would be pricey.

I wouldn't limit the search to cars newer than 2008.  There are many cares older than that which are still in reliable working order on the roads.    

I've always driven used to me Toyotas.  I have literally never had a service need beyond expected wear and tear items or a bill larger than about $500.  My Sienna is 15 years old and runs perfectly.  It's at 185K but Siennas of that vintage have been known to easily get past 250K.  We are shopping for a Prius right now to replace a Camry we sold last year and I am looking to get one with about 100K miles for less than 10K.  

Hondas are similar.  One of my best friends from college is still tooling around in the 2002 Civic she got for her college graduation.  It's past 300K!  

My mom had a vw that she got over 200k out of.  I believe it was the transmission that went in it but not sure.

Vehicles are just a gamble in general.  Even new ones can turn out to have problems and getting the lemon law to cover it can be a nightmare.  Our goal now is to help him get rid of this one, so he can save a bit of money and buy another.  He is 17, a rising senior....and working.....would have been nice if the this one we bought for him lasted longer than 6 months but that is how the ball bounces.  We will add a little to his savings if we can.  

I have control issues and I probably would not have bought this one but who is to say my choice would have been better.  

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My mom had a vw that she got over 200k out of.  I believe it was the transmission that went in it but not sure.

Vehicles are just a gamble in general.  Even new ones can turn out to have problems and getting the lemon law to cover it can be a nightmare.  Our goal now is to help him get rid of this one, so he can save a bit of money and buy another.  He is 17, a rising senior....and working.....would have been nice if the this one we bought for him lasted longer than 6 months but that is how the ball bounces.  We will add a little to his savings if we can.  

I have control issues and I probably would not have bought this one but who is to say my choice would have been better.  

Yes, any car purchase has risk but it is possible to reduce that risk, especially when you can spend more than $1-2K.   

One reason I stick to the same brand is that it's easier to learn the common issues. While Toyotas aren't the only reliable make of car, focusing my personal car knowledge on one brand means I don't have to keep relearning my cars.   I'm not a mechanic but I know what a well maintained Toyota looks like under the hood and then once I narrow in on the car I want (anywhere from 3-10+ years old depending on my budget level at the time), I take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.  I've passed on vehicles that didn't pass their muster and I won't give a second glance to a car where the seller doesn't let me do that.  When I am buying a higher mileage car, I ask to see service records for any of the major but expected repairs, like the timing belt.   It's why I feel I am driving a super reliable car even though it's old, high mileage and I paid $4k out the door for it last year (when my nearly identical Sienna was totaled because it doesn't take much to total a $5K van).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Yes, any car purchase has risk but it is possible to reduce that risk, especially when you can spend more than $1-2K.   

One reason I stick to the same brand is that it's easier to learn the common issues. While Toyotas aren't the only reliable make of car, focusing my personal car knowledge on one brand means I don't have to keep relearning my cars.   I'm not a mechanic but I know what a well maintained Toyota looks like under the hood and then once I narrow in on the car I want (anywhere from 3-10+ years old depending on my budget level at the time), I take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.  I've passed on vehicles that didn't pass their muster and I won't give a second glance to a car where the seller doesn't let me do that.  When I am buying a higher mileage car, I ask to see service records for any of the major but expected repairs, like the timing belt.   It's why I feel I am driving a super reliable car even though it's old, high mileage and I paid $4k out the door for it last year (when my nearly identical Sienna was totaled because it doesn't take much to total a $5K van).

Yes I agree.  

On 7/20/2018 at 3:09 PM, Scarlett said:

Well the owner of the shop called back and said the price is even higher than we thought.  No less than 5k and upwards to 5500. So we are done.  Well Dh and dss want to see if they can find some one to do a partial repair.  I don't think that is wise. ,but we are going to trailer it home and see what we can find out. 

Cars have been bad for you lately. So sorry.  

We had put a rebuilt engine into an old truck. We got another 2yrs out of it, but not without sinking more money into it.  i still get mad that we didn't pull the trigger on that thing sooner.  It would have worked out better.

But I totally get the lower insurance thing.  You need something old, reliable, but not expensive.  It's like trying to find a unicorn. 

I hope your son can find something.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

Cars have been bad for you lately. So sorry.  

We had put a rebuilt engine into an old truck. We got another 2yrs out of it, but not without sinking more money into it.  i still get mad that we didn't pull the trigger on that thing sooner.  It would have worked out better.

But I totally get the lower insurance thing.  You need something old, reliable, but not expensive.  It's like trying to find a unicorn. 

I hope your son can find something.  

Yes the VW has been an issue,. Trying to remember if we have had any other car trouble lately.  My rendezvous has certainly paid for itself. I am very thankful we have that extra car--otherwise dss would have to be taken to work and picked up which would be a big problem for our family.  Oh maybe you are thinking about the Prius getting damaged by the lawnmower.  I had already forgotten that.  LOL.

Dh called the salvage yard.  $250 and not a dime more.  So dh placed an ad yesterday to sell the car as is for $1200 bucks. And since it is still on the trailer we would deliver it too--but only this weekend, since we have to get the trailer returned to my boss.  Also I asked my boss for advice on unloading this car for more than what salvage would give us and he said 'leave it on the trailer and let me think about it over the weekend.'  

At first dss did not want to dump it for $250 or whatever but by the end of the day yesterday he told his dad that he should take whatever he can get because the longer a car like this sits for sale the less likely it will sell. 

The only person who would want this car is someone who thinks they are getting a fantastic deal AND who has the time, money and knowledge to repair it themselves.  

• Like 2

Contact the Agent or Company that has the Automobile Insurance and cancel that immediately.  Somewhere out there is someone with that model car who would love to have yours for spare parts. It would be worth a lot more than 4250 to them. The problem is how can you find them or v.v. and how long that will take. 

Possibly your boss will buy it since he said to leave it on the trailer temporarily.

Whoever does buy it, be sure you have in writing "AS IS, WHERE IS" and that it has a bad transmission. Other possible defects unknown.

ETA: A Wrecking yard that specializes in VW parts might pay more than that, if there is one near where you live.

Edited by Lanny
added ETA

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

Contact the Agent or Company that has the Automobile Insurance and cancel that immediately.  Somewhere out there is someone with that model car who would love to have yours for spare parts. It would be worth a lot more than 4250 to them. The problem is how can you find them or v.v. and how long that will take. 

Possibly your boss will buy it since he said to leave it on the trailer temporarily.

Whoever does buy it, be sure you have in writing "AS IS, WHERE IS" and that it has a bad transmission. Other possible defects unknown.

ETA: A Wrecking yard that specializes in VW parts might pay more than that, if there is one near where you live.

Yes Lanny, of course I will cancel the insurance on it.  

No, my boss has no interest in buying it. He just didn't want us to unload it and then have to reload it if he has an idea about who might take it off our hands. He is probably trying to decide if we could get more for it at auction than salvage.  I am guessing no but I am waiting to see what he says.  

I can't imagine saying, 'I have an 06 Jetta, so I think I will keep a spare 06 Jetta on hand for spare parts. '. 

Salvage yards do make their money on deals just like this....and the way they make their money is by only paying $250 for it and then having the space to keep it and part it out over time.  Salvage yards don't specialize in anything,...that is the whole point...they take anything and everything and put it into a big data base and part it out all over the country.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes Lanny, of course I will cancel the insurance on it.  

No, my boss has no interest in buying it. He just didn't want us to unload it and then have to reload it if he has an idea about who might take it off our hands. He is probably trying to decide if we could get more for it at auction than salvage.  I am guessing no but I am waiting to see what he says.  

I can't imagine saying, 'I have an 06 Jetta, so I think I will keep a spare 06 Jetta on hand for spare parts. '. 

Salvage yards do make their money on deals just like this....and the way they make their money is by only paying $250 for it and then having the space to keep it and part it out over time.  Salvage yards don't specialize in anything,...that is the whole point...they take anything and everything and put it into a big data base and part it out all over the country.  

There are many people who have a favorite car, maybe they are restoring it,  and if they live in the country, where they have space to store another car, would be very happy to have one to remove parts from, as needed.

I hadn't thought about selling it at auction and that it an interesting idea on the part of your boss! 

I respectfully disagree with you regarding that "Salvage yards don't specialize in anything".  Many of them do. Especially in very large metropolitan areas.

A friend of mine married a man whose family owned a Wrecking Yard in the Dallas area.  Some of them will take any make of car, others limit to certain makes.

And yes,  of course, a Wrecking Yard makes their $ by parting out a vehicle. That might take several years or more. When they've sold everything that can be taken off of it, it is crushed and sold for scrap and recycled.

The 2 or 3 times I purchased things (for 2 or 3 different cars) from Wrecking yards, and I got good components, I was  thankful they had them, because it saved a fortune over buying from a dealership.

I am sorry your DS had such bad luck with that VW.   Try to buy a make and model that was much more popular and sold in much larger quantity in the area where you live for him. Possibly something in the Toyota line. Or a Chevy or Ford.

So, car is still sitting on my boss's trailer in our driveway.  No bites at all to sell it on line even though dh lowered the price to $750 Sunday morning.  Still haven't heard from my boss.

But.  A family friend has a 95 Honda Civic for sale.  $1500.  For my ss $1200.  This is the car I wish we had found the first time around.  Friend has been driving it....it has some little issue that the husband will explain in detail to dh.....but basically dss is THRILLED and he wants it.  Dh and I haven't talked in detail yet since he is trying to get actual work done, but  I feel he will get this car.  

Oddly enough dss has $1287 in savings.  LOL  

Hopefully dh will just drive this hunk of junk Jetta to the salvage yard tomorrow and get it off our property.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

So, car is still sitting on my boss's trailer in our driveway.  No bites at all to sell it on line even though dh lowered the price to $750 Sunday morning.  Still haven't heard from my boss.

But.  A family friend has a 95 Honda Civic for sale.  $1500.  For my ss $1200.  This is the car I wish we had found the first time around.  Friend has been driving it....it has some little issue that the husband will explain in detail to dh.....but basically dss is THRILLED and he wants it.  Dh and I haven't talked in detail yet since he is trying to get actual work done, but  I feel he will get this car.  

Oddly enough dss has $1287 in savings.  LOL  

Hopefully dh will just drive this hunk of junk Jetta to the salvage yard tomorrow and get it off our property.  ?

Sweet find it is good when you know the history of a car, we love Civics here, dh has a 94. His looks utterly horrible but it still runs well at 200K + miles. I agree with posting on FB marketplace, we used to always sell on Craigslist but the last few things I sold I had no real bites on CL but ended up selling it through FB and it was so easy to list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soror said:

Sweet find it is good when you know the history of a car, we love Civics here, dh has a 94. His looks utterly horrible but it still runs well at 200K + miles. I agree with posting on FB marketplace, we used to always sell on Craigslist but the last few things I sold I had no real bites on CL but ended up selling it through FB and it was so easy to list.

Turns out it is a 94 not a 95.  Has a dent in one door but as we all know a dent in the door is preferably to a transmission that doesn't work.  ?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 12:43 PM, Scarlett said:

I can't imagine saying, 'I have an 06 Jetta, so I think I will keep a spare 06 Jetta on hand for spare parts.  

I haven’t seen that with a 10ish year old VW but I have for 1960-1980s VW in several models.  Some people really like their VWs.  I know one person who drives a little VW Fox and has a whole other VW Fox on blocks in the shed to use for parts. It’s probably because the parts are so old and expensive.  I’ve seen people do that with the old Bus models too.  I can’t see any one doing it for a 2006 Jetta but maybe in 20 years.  ?

Is there a VW forum you could post the listing on?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

I haven’t seen that with a 10ish year old VW but I have for 1960-1980s VW in several models.  Some people really like their VWs.  I know one person who drives a little VW Fox and has a whole other VW Fox on blocks in the shed to use for parts. It’s probably because the parts are so old and expensive.  I’ve seen people do that with the old Bus models too.  I can’t see any one doing it for a 2006 Jetta but maybe in 20 years.  ?

Is there a VW forum you could post the listing on?  

I will look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Turns out it is a 94 not a 95.  Has a dent in one door but as we all know a dent in the door is preferably to a transmission that doesn't work.  ?

Very much so (dh has more dents than you can count, one from where I backed into it in the driveway, oops!)! I hope it's a great car for him. How many miles does it have? 

• Like 1

With that mileage and an already known problem-  I would take it to a mechanic to get a look over before buying it.  I would hate to see him out all his savings into the car and discover in 2 months, it was not a good car.  

And just based on what you have said on here about the car, it shouldn’t be more than 1000.  KBB has a nice pricing section you could use to show the person selling if you decide to get the civic. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

With that mileage and an already known problem-  I would take it to a mechanic to get a look over before buying it.  I would hate to see him out all his savings into the car and discover in 2 months, it was not a good car.  

And just based on what you have said on here about the car, it shouldn’t be more than 1000.  KBB has a nice pricing section you could use to show the person selling if you decide to get the civic. 

48 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It needs tires. Maybe shocks.  No real problems.  Dh talked to our friend today.  Honestly I am thrilled to get a car I know has been going up and down the highway daily.....

• Like 2

With that mileage on it I wonder if it has had a Major or Minor (Rings and Valves) Engine overhaul?  It would be nice to have a Mechanic do a Compression Check on each Cylinder.

Very nice to buy a car you or someone  you know is familiar with.   When I moved from Texas, a friend put my Toyota Station Wagon  in their Driveway. A smart 16 year old girl bought it. It had all of the maintenance and repair data, from the day I bought it Brand New.