Menu

Homeschool Spanish Academy, high school vs adult?

DD13 has had two semesters of college Spanish. She can’t do Spanish 3 due to scheduling, and I mostly want her to keep going and practicing, as well as have foreign language on her transcript each year. Her intended college major does not require any more FL credits.  I’m looking at HSA because it seems like it might be a good option. I am wondering, though, if the adult program (which seems more focused on conversation) might not be a better option than the high school one.  

" She can’t do Spanish 3 due to scheduling "

If the HSA doesn't work out, would one of the online options for the college work out? (and maybe find someone to talk with for practice?)  While looking up fall stuff for my middle dd, I noticed that tn ecampus has an asynchronous  section of the third course and thought I'd share that info.

Trinqueta is currently finishing up high school 3B. She spends the whole class talking, about 20 minutes general conversation and 30 minutes discussing the grammar and practicing it. The grammar lessons add structure and a bit of homework and the tests and quizzes add accountability. Their grammar is intensive and includes topics not normally covered in Spanish as a foreign language classes. I've learned some stuff I never covered formally but just sort of picked up as a speech pattern without understanding the underlying grammar. They get a learner over the hump and into really speaking Spanish. I've been surprised at how willing Trinqueta has been to speak Spanish with relatives after a year of HSA.

• Like 2

OP, one thing to keep in mind is that college courses usually cover twice what high school courses cover.  Occasionally, they don't move as quickly, but it's fairly safe to say your dd has probably covered at least 3 years of high school level material and possibly 4.  Whatever provider you go with should be able to tell you what material she should have already covered to be successful in the new class.

3 minutes ago, klmama said:

OP, one thing to keep in mind is that college courses usually cover twice what high school courses cover.  Occasionally, they don't move as quickly, but it's fairly safe to say your dd has probably covered at least 3 years of high school level material and possibly 4.  Whatever provider you go with should be able to tell you what material she should have already covered to be successful in the new class.

Except that she only took 2 semesters of college Spanish.  Spanish 1 at the college level should, in one semester, cover more or less the same amount of information as a year-long Spanish 1 course in high school.  And then the same for Spanish 2.  I would think she is ready for either a year-long, high school Spanish 3 class like HSA or a semester-long college Spanish 3 class (though if the in-person class does not fit into her schedule, I personally would choose HSA over an online college option). 

Wendy

IMO, I'd go with the adult version trial & see what you think. (Trial should be free.) If she doesn't like it, she can try the high school one. They'll evaluate where she is in the first session. She found a tutor she liked right away, but has used two others (one she has fun with & another she disliked).

DD#1 did get placed lower in HSA high school level than what she'd covered in classes, but we, too, are not looking for credit, just continued practice in grammar & conversation. She's getting reinforcement of grammar in a structured syllabus. We use it as reinforcement only.

• Like 2