Menu

Need a new mattress

bethben

Any suggestions?  We are wanting to stay away from pillow tops and foam.  All we know about those is that your body makes a indentation in the mattress within a year or so and then it's not as comfortable.  We would prefer something that is non-pillow top and then we can add our own foam top and just change those out instead of having to constantly buy a new mattress.  

We got a memory foam one off amazon ( sleep innovations) that has a gel cooling layer.  So far six years later, no issues and no body indentions.  It used heavily in our camper. Sleep innovations also makes a wonderful gel topper that you will have to pry away from my DS. He loves that thing.  

Our home one is a memory foam one that is almost years old and no body indentions and is just as good as the day we got it. Don’t rule out a good memory foam one.  They have improved since they first came out.  

53 minutes ago, ClemsonDana said:

We got a Purple mattress last summer and love it.  Ours is the original, so it doesn't have much of a topper like some of the newer options do.  

What made you decide to get an original and not the new one? I've been looking at these (both versions)...

@Janie Grace, when we got ours they didn't have the new kind yet.  I'm not a fan of pillow tops anyway, so when we get another one we'll probably get the original again.  I don't expect to need to replace ours for years, but our son is going to need something longer than his twin bed soon, so we're planning to get a purple twin XL when he needs it. 

Do the newer memory foam mattresses get hot?  That's my other problem-  I tend to really heat up a mattress.  Even in winter I'm throwing off covers and we keep the vents closed with the window slightly cracked open at times.  Right now, I'm sleeping well on a blow up mattress on the floor because the bed is too squishy and so very hot.

1 hour ago, bethben said:

Do the newer memory foam mattresses get hot?  That's my other problem-  I tend to really heat up a mattress.  Even in winter I'm throwing off covers and we keep the vents closed with the window slightly cracked open at times.  Right now, I'm sleeping well on a blow up mattress on the floor because the bed is too squishy and so very hot.

Gel cooling layer will be your friend.  It really does keep you from getting hot.  Not all memory foam mattress have it so look for one labeled with it.  It keeps me from making the room part of the North Pole. 

You can buy a gel cooling topper to try.  They are not too much and easy cheaper way to see if you like it.

Saatva. We got ours over a year ago and still like it. Conventional spring with foam layers underneath but you are not sleeping on foam. Top layer is organic cotton. 3 degrees of softness / firmness are available - or were available when we bought.

Delivery was quick and they took the old mattress for a small fee. 

• Like 1

The last time we needed a mattress we contacted a timeshare place that we had stayed at for a week and asked how to get a mattress like theirs.

This worked out fantastically--we had already done the 'try before you buy' thing, and we ended up with extremely comfortable mattresses that are supposedly built to be more durable than home ones.  The jury's out on that, but the comfort is unbeatable.

I had heard of the indentation problem so every time one of us sleeps alone there for some reason, we sleep in the middle of the bed to try to prevent that.