Menu

Hives with bug bites-treatment?

Rachel

My 6 year old is very sensitive to bug bites, he will get a dozen mosquito bites that swell up and get hard when no one else even got a bite. 

He played all afternoon in our backyard yesterday and got a ton of bites in his pelvic region. I don’t know what kind of bug, maybe chiggers although he has no bites around his ankles and no one else got bites. My husband treated him in the middle of the night with topical Benadryl because that was handy. It didn’t help much with the itch in certain areas. This morning I used Chiggerex on some (main ingredient Benzocaine it seems to work the best) and we tried apple cider vinegar. Then I realized they were spreading and turning into hives. I gave him children’s Benadryl about 30 minutes ago and haven’t seen a change yet. If he gets worse I’ll take him to the doctor. 

Anything else you recommend? 

Oh and the bug spray is handy, he just didn’t want to use it ?

Allergy to the benzocaine? Treatment, unfortunately, is just not to use it again. :blink:

FWIW, I get big reactions to mosquito bites & bug spray only means less bites, not no bites. I've seen mosquitos fly right past my DH to get to me (and smallest ds who also reacts hugely). I currently have three very red, raised, itchy ones from Tuesday night (and a couple of other very obvious ones that don't itch as much).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Did you take him, Rachel?

Benedryl got rid of the hives! We happened to see a friend and they think it was chigger bites. Since the Benadryl was working I didn’t take him in and he has quit itching. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Allergy to the benzocaine? Treatment, unfortunately, is just not to use it again. :blink:

FWIW, I get big reactions to mosquito bites & bug spray only means less bites, not no bites. I've seen mosquitos fly right past my DH to get to me (and smallest ds who also reacts hugely). I currently have three very red, raised, itchy ones from Tuesday night (and a couple of other very obvious ones that don't itch as much).

That’s how he is and how my husband is, bug spray keeps the number of bites down although I don’t know that it would help with chiggers. 

He’s looking way better today. The hives are completely gone and most of the bug bites are no longer itching. He does have a couple on his privates driving him crazy. I put him in one of my t-shirts and told him not to wear underwear or pants and that seems to be helping.