Menu

Book Sleuths Please Help

ashfern

I read a series of books back in the 80's. It was a group of kids who solved mysteries. Their base was in a junk yard and one of the characters lived there with his grandparents. Does anyone remember or know where I can look to figure this out?

8 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

For female-led mysteries, we just finished the first Ninja Detective book (there are two) as an audiobook, but it might be a bit below her level.  It's not deep literature, but fun and the main character is a 12yo girl.  Has she read The Westing Game?

Thanks for those suggestions. She's really only started an interest in reading for pleasure so I'm eager for anything that she'll find interesting. Plus the 10 yo can read it too.

Does sound like the three investigators for sure.

As far as mystery books with girl characters:

Nancy Drew
Dana Sisters
Lots and lots of books by Enid Blyton: 5 Friends etc.

All these books are of course older so they may not always be politically correct. Whether or not that matters to you will of course depend.

• Like 1

The Three Investigators! I loved those books, and it was the first time I encountered Alfred Hitchcock. Thanks for reminding me of them. I think one of the three boys had a sister who featured occasionally - maybe that's where the girl came in.

For other mysteries featuring girls, I remember reading a lot of Trixie Belden books, too.

• Like 1

Oh, I love Trixie Belden. Enid Blyton's books (there are a lot!) are very wholesome and have a mix of female and male protagonists (usually a group of kids). The Secret 7 is one of her series. 

It's not a mystery, but I also loved the Noel Streatfield books - Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, etc. all with female protagonists.

6 hours ago, debi21 said:

The Three Investigators! I loved those books, and it was the first time I encountered Alfred Hitchcock. Thanks for reminding me of them. I think one of the three boys had a sister who featured occasionally - maybe that's where the girl came in.

For other mysteries featuring girls, I remember reading a lot of Trixie Belden books, too.

My kids said there was a girl who was in some of the later Three Investigators books.  They think she was Jupiter's rival.  I'll have to look through my set this weekend to check on this.  ETA: Google is faster.  She's a neighbor girl named Allie Jamison and she's in two of the books:  Singing Serpent and Death Trap Mine. 

Adding my vote for Trixie Belden ?

15 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

What does "wholesome" mean in this context? The Wig in the Window is, imo, age appropriate, but it's a proper murder mystery, not a case of the missing cupcakes dealio.

Just non adult content. She'd be fine with a proper murder as long as it's not super graphic. We watched Sherlock together (after I had watched it) and she enjoyed that.