Menu

Just get it figured out already (opioid prescriptions)

Pegasus

I understand that opioid use is a complex issue but we need to find the balance between appropriate use and facilitating abuse.  DD recently had oral surgery and the doctor gave her a prescription for pain medication after surgery, recommending that we have it filled and she start taking it before the numbness wore off. We took DD home and DH went to fill the prescription. The pharmacy didn't want to fill it. *sigh*

• Like 2

Sorry you had to deal with that. Shake my head that the pharmacist doesn't seem to understand that
it's not the pharmacist's job to determine the validity of a prescription. That's up to the doctors.
The pharmacist's job is to FILL the order and explain what it is and how often to take it. End of story.

I agree this whole thing has gotten out of control. Many docs have prescribed it so much they've created addicts.
They've prescribed it so much, creating drug-seekers, that now those who REALLY need it have a hard time getting it.

Here's a thought, doctors - DON'T prescribe it for the long term! Give what is necessary to deal with the pain of the issue while
figuring out a SOLUTION to the issue. Then wean the patient OFF it. Don't give it so much that those who TRULY need it can't get it!

• Like 5

I am surprised as well that the pharmacist would take it upon himself to decide whether to fill the Rx or not. He should have called the doc if he had concerns about dosage. Have you been able to obtain it through a different pharmacy?

While there is a big push for pharmacists and prescribers to curb the issue, depending on the state, there are databases where you can see if the patient has been getting opioids, so that can help.

To give blanket grief to customers as a preventive is not really a solution either.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Filling for a relative is a classic diversion behavior, because there is a kinship relationship there that gives legal cover for accessing medication on their behalves,  and if the patient isn’t present then it’s a judgment call as to whether the need is legit or someone is using family to gain a higher quantity of pills, or out and out stealing the prescription.  

I understand protections for providers--both pharmaceutical and medical. I have one in the family. But professionals are not above making their own job easier by treating patients as one-size-fits-all potential offenders. I guess I have heard too many stories (and been on the receiving end) about practitioners who don't want to take the extra step to treat patients like people and not like obstacles. My family member who works in healthcare finds the attitude of making everything the patient/customer's problem prevalent and rather entrenched to one degree or another, and not just about opioids. 

When my mom was dying of cancer, 2 years ago, we came to a place where the Norco just wasn't taking care of her pain and we had to move on to the Oxy.  My parents live in a tiny town with exactly 2 pharmacies, a little mom & pop place and Walmart.  My parents have always gone to the little place.  I went in with her prescription and they told me that they don't keep the oxy in stock because of the frequency of theft so they would have to take a photocopy of the scrip & they would order it.  It would arrive in 24 hours and then with the original scrip I could pick it up.  I came in the next day.  It wasn't ready, nor was it ready the next.  By day 3 they admitted to me that they hadn't ordered it because she already had a prescription for a pain reliever (norco) and they just didn't think it was a good idea.  I just about lost my mind.  Keep in mind I have known the pharmacist my entire life.  He knows my parents, he knows me, I know his kids.  It was bonkers.  We went to the Walmart & the filled it with no questions asked.

At the same time around a week before my mom went into the hospital for the last time we ended up in the emergency room.  While we waited and waited for someone to see her, it was time for her next pain pill.  I could see she was in pain, and I had her pills in my bag, but I didn't want to just give it to her without telling the doctor.  The ER doctor told me not to give it to her because he hadn't decided what to do about the immediate situation.  We sat there for another hour and I could tell she was in more and more pain.  I found that doctor again and told him that I needed to give her her pain medication and he told me I was turning my mom into a drug addict and that I needed to let her tough it out.  My mom needed to tough out the pain from the cancer that had destroyed her bladder, invaded her liver and her spine and was possibly in her brain.  I gave it to her anyway. 

I understand the need to not facilitate addiction, I do, but my mom was literally dying.  

Amber in SJ

Also I feel like I have posted about my mom dying about 17 times in the last couple days.  I need to shut up about it already.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

37 minutes ago, Amber in SJ said:

When my mom was dying of cancer, 2 years ago, we came to a place where the Norco just wasn't taking care of her pain and we had to move on to the Oxy.  My parents live in a tiny town with exactly 2 pharmacies, a little mom & pop place and Walmart.  My parents have always gone to the little place.  I went in with her prescription and they told me that they don't keep the oxy in stock because of the frequency of theft so they would have to take a photocopy of the scrip & they would order it.  It would arrive in 24 hours and then with the original scrip I could pick it up.  I came in the next day.  It wasn't ready, nor was it ready the next.  By day 3 they admitted to me that they hadn't ordered it because she already had a prescription for a pain reliever (norco) and they just didn't think it was a good idea.  I just about lost my mind.  Keep in mind I have known the pharmacist my entire life.  He knows my parents, he knows me, I know his kids.  It was bonkers.  We went to the Walmart & the filled it with no questions asked.

At the same time around a week before my mom went into the hospital for the last time we ended up in the emergency room.  While we waited and waited for someone to see her, it was time for her next pain pill.  I could see she was in pain, and I had her pills in my bag, but I didn't want to just give it to her without telling the doctor.  The ER doctor told me not to give it to her because he hadn't decided what to do about the immediate situation.  We sat there for another hour and I could tell she was in more and more pain.  I found that doctor again and told him that I needed to give her her pain medication and he told me I was turning my mom into a drug addict and that I needed to let her tough it out.  My mom needed to tough out the pain from the cancer that had destroyed her bladder, invaded her liver and her spine and was possibly in her brain.  I gave it to her anyway. 

I understand the need to not facilitate addiction, I do, but my mom was literally dying.  

Amber in SJ

Also I feel like I have posted about my mom dying about 17 times in the last couple days.  I need to shut up about it already.

No you do not need to shut up.  ?  

And I am astounded they were giving you grief about giving your dying mom pain med.  Ugh, that makes me angry.

• Like 4