Menu

Quick! Tipping tree removal crew?

Night Elf

I just asked the owner if it's usual to trip the crew doing the actual work. He said he leaves it totally up to the customer, it's not a requirement and that they appreciate it if you do. So I'm thinking $20 a man. They are cutting up and removing a fallen tree and taking down another dead one to cut up and haul away as well. Do I tip the foreman too?

When I asked the owner just now how many there are he said 4. I don't think that includes the foreman. So maybe that answers my question. Does $20 sound fair?

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sounds more than fair to me.  But to be  honest, I don't have the money to tip people like that. 

DH just got a bonus at work and we were so excited. Then a tree fell in our front yard. They came out to remove it and the owner saw another one that was about to fall and showed it to my DH so DH knew he wasn't just being scammed so we agreed to get that tree taken care of too. With the way it's leaning and where it's rooted on the inside of a ditch, it would probably fall on our house. So those guys are working hard and I just figured I should give them something above their salary. I was thinking $10 each but when we decided on the second tree I figured I'd bump that up to $20 each. I hope to catch them before they leave but if they leave without telling us I won't worry about it. I think the owner is coming back after the job is finished to talk to us about our satisfaction and to be sure the work got done the way we wanted it done and then we write him a check. He said cash would be good too. Um, who has $1,000 cash lying around? Egads!

• Like 1

With the cost of tree removal, I don't know that I could manage to tip the workers.  Of course they would appreciate anything, even a $10 bill is enough for lunch or a beer or two after work.  

I tend to "tip" with food and drink while people are working.  That is probably not as appreciated as cash.  :-)  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

$1k for two trees sounds like a bargain from where I sit, so I might tip. But prices for work like that vary so much locally.

They were our cheapest quote. It was $450 to cut up the tree and stack it, or $600 to cut it up and take it away. We went with the $600. The other quotes I got started at $1000 and $1200 just for the one tree. So when the guys got here today and the owner showed up and saw our other tree, he said they'd cut it down, cut it up and haul it away for an additional $400. We didn't think that was a bad deal.

• Like 1

Agreed. I mean, we're in a city and there are special challenges, but our neighbors just spent several times more than that for a single tree. My mother lives in a way less expensive state and has several she'd like to take down because she's concerned about their age and the safety of it and she said her last quote was closer to 2k for the tree. It's a big one, but still.

With a rate that low, I think I would tip if you can manage it. 10-20 seems fair. I also think it's okay to tip the crew a singler larger amount and let them split it up.

32 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Agreed. I mean, we're in a city and there are special challenges, but our neighbors just spent several times more than that for a single tree. My mother lives in a way less expensive state and has several she'd like to take down because she's concerned about their age and the safety of it and she said her last quote was closer to 2k for the tree. It's a big one, but still.

With a rate that low, I think I would tip if you can manage it. 10-20 seems fair. I also think it's okay to tip the crew a singler larger amount and let them split it up.

The owner said there were 4 guys when I asked how many there were to tip. I don't think he was including the foreman. I hope it's okay not to tip him. I'm assuming the owner would have said 5 if he meant for the  foreman to get a tip as well. Or maybe it's the foreman and 3 guys out there. I don't know. They're in the trees and I can't count them.

• Like 1

$20 is more than I would tip, but I live where $10 and a cold soda is the standard for workers like that.  

Every contractor around here who mentions cash payment will give a little bit of a discount if we pay cash. It’s worth asking about. 

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Wow, I’m scared now, lol, because my sisters want to have a dangerous tree removed for my parents as an anniversary present. But dang. Even split by thirds, that’s significant. 

• Like 1

Huh, it didn't even occur to me to tip tree removal people. We just spent quite a bit having several trees removed and a bunch of brush pulled out and hauled off, and several stumps ground. They gave us a quote for the job, and that's what I paid.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mimm said:

Huh, it didn't even occur to me to tip tree removal people. We just spent quite a bit having several trees removed and a bunch of brush pulled out and hauled off, and several stumps ground. They gave us a quote for the job, and that's what I paid.

Yeah. Me too. I might offer lemonade though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

Wow, I’m scared now, lol, because my sisters want to have a dangerous tree removed for my parents as an anniversary present. But dang. Even split by thirds, that’s significant. 

yeah, I have bad news.   It is expensive in the metro area.

I just had several old trees taken down.  It was lots of monies.   I didn't even think about tipping... but I had at least 6-8 guys.  It took them 2 days.   Now I feel bad.

• Sad 1

So much for quick. They didn't finish the job. We left to go to the grocery store and when we got back their trailer was parked in our turn around and the guys were gone. I guess they'll show up today although I'd be surprised if they worked on a Sunday. The weird thing is the owner didn't even text me to let me know what was going on. At least I know they will be back since they left their trailer. ?

• 1 year later...