Menu

Anybody seen this blog post yet?

13 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Good for her! I'm often skeptical about the accuracy of IQ tests--I don't think they are fool-proof.

Yep, they don't really seem diagnostic of anything useful in a lot of cases. I feel so sorry for the special-ed teacher who broke down crying because she "failed" the poor kid--who would ever have imagined that there's such a disability as being nearly blind due to a neurological problem while having 20/20 vision at the same time?! It really brought home to me that even the professionals, helpful though they certainly are in many circumstances, can't possibly be experts in each individual child. This mom's confidence that the IQ results were wrong came from her experiences with him in the home, outside the academic setting.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 12:20 AM, MerryAtHope said:

Good for her! I'm often skeptical about the accuracy of IQ tests--I don't think they are fool-proof.

My ds has had IQ tests vary by as much as 50 points! Disabilities can impact IQ tests in a way that completely invalidates them. I'm so glad the mom believed in herself enough to stand up for her child instead of giving up on him.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mom22ns said:

My ds has had IQ tests vary by as much as 50 points! Disabilities can impact IQ tests in a way that completely invalidates them. I'm so glad the mom believed in herself enough to stand up for her child instead of giving up on him.

We had that here too.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mom22ns said:

1 hour ago, EKS said:

We had that here too.  

Posts like these make me wish for the gaping mouth emoticon! Good gravy that's just crazy!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OKBud said:

Wow that's amazing! 

I wonder what it looked like when he was asked to draw something when he was little. Wouldn't everything look completely different to him than it does everyone else? Or just written words and numbers for some reason?

Good point. On the other hand, I think we tend to assume kids are "typical," and there's a "typical" explanation... like "he's just not that great at drawing." My DSS13's colorblindness wasn't noticed for a surprisingly long time, because he was an early reader and knew that, for example, "trees have green leaves," so he would figure out which crayon was green based on the words on the wrapper and use the "correct" color even though he couldn't tell red from green or pink from gray. I think he was about 8 before his cover was blown ?  Getting corrective glasses for him was really cool--he had never "seen" a terracotta pot or a morning glory flower before.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, OKBud said:

I wonder what it looked like when he was asked to draw something when he was little. Wouldn't everything look completely different to him than it does everyone else? Or just written words and numbers for some reason?

I would guess it was chalked up to fine motor issues. Many disabilities are often co-morbid with poor fine motor skills. It would be interesting to know if he had enough artistic talent to make things look the way he saw them though. I would be fascinated to see what he saw!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, OKBud said:

Wow that's amazing! 

My daughter has convergence insufficiency.  In her particular case, it didn't affect her ability to draw.  She's always been really good at it.  My educated guess is that CI affects small and close visual tasks when your eyes have to almost cross to focus, but her drawings were always larger than printed letters.  So the CI didn't interfere with that to any serious degree.

Now, a weird twist is that she had trouble learning to write letters.  She could draw these complex pictures but still struggle to remember that the lower case j hangs below the line, or she'd mix upper and lower case letters, or make all letters the same height (so k and a would both be tall letters).    But have her complete a realistic drawing of one of our cats and she's golden.  But then again, cats are a lot bigger than written text, so maybe it's not so strange after all.

By the way, she did eventually master proper printing when was about 11, but it took way longer than expected given her exceptional fine motor skills and excellent visual memory.

My official conclusion: Brains are weird.  Try to figure out who your child is and how they learn and then roll with it.

• Like 2

What a wonderful story!!

My DD had convergence insufficiency along with a 5-6 second lag time that it took her eyes to focus when she shifted her gaze from one thing to another. Vision Therapy was a miracle for her. So glad it helped that young man too.

• Like 1