Menu

Going in circles with Geometry

Anybody have any insight on a good selection for Geometry.  I have been searching old threads for all Geometry reviews and am still unsure.  My DD finished up Algebra using Lial's this year and it went well overall.  She learns best with good clean visuals, sequential learning, and small things that keep it interesting.  I would like a program that has Algebra review in some way.

Some programs that I have been considering:

Holt Geometry -  I actually own this one because I tutored a student who used it this past year.  I find it okay.  I like the amount of review.  But the presentation is very busy and I found the instruction to be okay.  Doable, but not terribly exciting and some of the lessons seem very long.

Jacobs Geometry - I'm curious how my creative daughter would do with its style.  She generally likes words and creativity, but I'm not sure how she'll do with the "discovery" approach.  While she likes things creative, she also likes them to be very clear in their expectations.

Jurgensen Geometry - I wish I could see better samples, but the Table of Contents seems to have a good flow.  I've heard great reviews, but my DD is very average in math.  She does fine, but it definitely isn't a passion of hers.

BJU Geometry - I like the layout a lot; colorful but without being too busy.  I like their system of adding in a bit of mixed review each day.  Again, not sure if it would be overkill or not for my DD.

Programs we are not interested in - TT or MUS.  I'm good at math and comfortable teaching it (I am a math tutor) and my DD doesn't like video programs.  I'm simply having trouble landing on one that would fit my DD best.

I used Jurgensen with one of mine who struggles greatly with math(and with the next child who doesn't struggle). I think it went quite well. I didn't require as much of her with regard to proofs as the next one who did it and I didn't choose the most challenging problems. I thought the layout was much nicer and cleaner than the Jacobs Geometry that I had used with the child before that(though I am using the Jurgensen from 1987-I don't know what the new ones are like.  There is algebra review at the end of the sections, though I will do algebra review differently next time around using my own system of review cards. 

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't call Jacob's "discovery" method -- at least the 2nd edition (which is what we used) is very incremental and mastery-based, with algebra review in each lesson. : )

If you just need a "get 'er done" Geometry, Math U See is very streamlined, straight forward, and has a very clean and uncluttered layout with not too many problems per page. Because it mostly focuses on the tangible aspects of Geometry (angles, area, volume, spheres, cylinders, etc.), and has very little on proofs, it is a "light" program. But it does have Algebra review.

One thing to bear in mind is that auditory-sequential learners / left-brain / logical-abstract thinkers who do well with the abstract topics of Algebra, often struggle with the concrete/tangible Geometry, while visual-spatial learners / right-brain / random-concrete thinkers who struggle with Algebra, do very well with Geometry.

And another thing to bear in mind is that you do NOT have to do every single problem or every single lesson. If BJU would be a good fit teaching-wise for DD, but too long, then just have her do selected problems.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2018 at 6:21 PM, Lori D. said:

Well, I wouldn't call Jacob's "discovery" method -- at least the 2nd edition (which is what we used) is very incremental and mastery-based, with algebra review in each lesson. : )

If you just need a "get 'er done" Geometry, Math U See is very streamlined, straight forward, and has a very clean and uncluttered layout with not too many problems per page. Because it mostly focuses on the tangible aspects of Geometry (angles, area, volume, spheres, cylinders, etc.), and has very little on proofs, it is a "light" program. But it does have Algebra review.

One thing to bear in mind is that auditory-sequential learners / left-brain / logical-abstract thinkers who do well with the abstract topics of Algebra, often struggle with the concrete/tangible Geometry, while visual-spatial learners / right-brain / random-concrete thinkers who struggle with Algebra, do very well with Geometry.

And another thing to bear in mind is that you do NOT have to do every single problem or every single lesson. If BJU would be a good fit teaching-wise for DD, but too long, then just have her do selected problems.

I agree. My son doesn't do well with true discovery methods like AoPS, and I didn't think of Jacob's Geometry as discovery at all. My ds did Jacobs via Derek Owens. We were very pleased with the course overall and the text.

I actually like (and teach from) Holt 2007 and find it easy to teach from-- but I use the 'Reteach' worksheets as the primary visuals for the lessons and the 'Practice B' worksheets for main homework-- then the text is for additional support and additional practice.  In other words if you have the Teachers One Stop Planner it is very easy to teach from and gives you some variety in assignments (the planner has the digital TE, quizzes, tests, worksheets and other supplements).

I also agree that Jacobs 3rd edition is very DISCOVERY based-- and many lessons are very unclear about expectations... ' draw this triangle and tell me what you think'.  It is NOTHING like the 2nd edition which is a very strong, well done text!

I'm not sure I have anything to add, but I LOVE the title of this thread...."Going in circles with geometry."  Very good pun!

My youngest used TT geometry.  My oldest did Saxon but supplemented with BJU.  Both used Geometry for the Clueless as an occasional reference.  Several IRL friends like LOF Geometry.  I've not used it so I can't comment

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HollyDay said:

I'm not sure I have anything to add, but I LOVE the title of this thread...."Going in circles with geometry."  Very good pun!

My youngest used TT geometry.  My oldest did Saxon but supplemented with BJU.  Both used Geometry for the Clueless as an occasional reference.  Several IRL friends like LOF Geometry.  I've not used it so I can't comment

Thank you. I tried ?

Thanks so much for the input everybody and for the video link.  That's an awesome resource.

We decided to go ahead and get Jacobs because both my DD and DH picked it out of the lineup.  I'm still not entirely convinced, but I do have Holt on hand in case we need it.

Thanks again!

20 hours ago, Janeway said:

I LOVED Jurgenson. That's all. I highly recommend it. It is a great choice for all levels. 

Can you offer what it is that you love about it? I've tried/discarded more Geometry programs/books than any other subject. I just ordered Understanding Geometry in a last ditch effort to just get this subject covered minimally and move on.

2 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

Can you offer what it is that you love about it? I've tried/discarded more Geometry programs/books than any other subject. I just ordered Understanding Geometry in a last ditch effort to just get this subject covered minimally and move on.

It is a very generic program. It could be used at any level. It has plenty of proofs but also plenty of calculations. It is not wordy. The pages are clean, not a ton of busy stuff.  It is easy to teach without tons of extra books, online planners, etc.