Menu

Give me your best, low cost, easy to use resources for delayed 6 year old

Ottakee

My friend just took in a delayed just turned 6 year old little boy with severe medical needs.   He is slated for public school 1st grade in the fall but she is going to push for repeating K.  He is between 4-5 in most things but has gaps so is missing some younger preschool things as well.

I am going to be getting her the I See Sam books/materials to slowly start with.   What other resources, books, apps, etc would you suggest?  They have a 1:1 aide for him this summer so things she can do with him would be awesome.  Library books that are "must reads", preschool workbooks, idea books of crafts/activities for fine motor, etc.

Child can NOT eat orally and can NOT get wet....other than a standing water table type thing due to his ports.

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

R&S ABC series wkbks (skip B)

ETC ABC books

CLE Kinder set

Look at Memoria Press Simply Classical

Good Ideas.  I used the R&S ABC books with mine and the ETC ABC books and some of the CLE K stuff.

• Like 1

Is his medical problem something that will prevent him from traveling? I think a weekly or twice-weekly "trip" to some place like the zoo, the park for a nature walk, the children's museum, another museum, the movie theater, etc. would be beneficial. An increase in experiences like this helps learning. Simple science projects like growing plants or making slime are another thing to add in.

Does he have any particular motor difficulties? If not, I'm thinking she'll want to focus on activities that help prepare for writing - anything that uses the tripod grip, for example. Squeezing a water dropper, using tweezers or chopsticks to move small items (lots of games involve this, or he can sort small objects by shape, by size, by color, by whatever metric is interesting - that's doubling up on the education!), stringing beads or lacing cards, playing with play dough (if you google for "fine motor play dough" you'll get lots of ideas for specific activities), putting coins in a penny bank or charity box (counting up the value of the coins first is another education metric, donating to charity builds character... and it keeps him distracted while the adults pay!), ripping paper (collages?), using scissors (she can score bundles of old magazines off of ebay, I'm sure, and have him cut out pictures that start with a certain sound or that all fit a certain category - remember, lefties should always be given access to proper left-handed scissors, which are jointed differently from right-handled scissors. It's not enough to change the handles!), making balls of tissue paper (again, collages?)... honestly, there are probably tons of ideas you can find by googling for "prewriting therapy", "fine motor therapy", or "prewriting montessori"

• Like 2

Great ideas.  I will pass them on.

They are very rural but they do have a library they can visit and maybe the school playground.

All of those fine motor things are great ideas.  Little guy is spent a lot of time in hospital so missed out on a lot of typical toddler/preschool experiences.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 1:10 PM, Paradox5 said:

R&S ABC series wkbks (skip B)

ETC ABC books

CLE Kinder set

Look at Memoria Press Simply Classical

I was coming on here to say this exactly.  CLE 2 is a fabulous start to schooling.

If it isn't too much work for him I would add Explode the Code primers.  This would allow him to be focusing on 2 different sounds each week which are also presented differently, by combining CLE 2 with ETC.  These he would finish in less than a semester most likely allowing reading lessons to begin in earnest second semester, as a solid foundation would be laid.

I would add library books and Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons once he finishes the above workbooks.

If he enjoys computers, the site ASDReading (dot com) is great. Although it was created (by Reading Kingdom) for ASD kiddos, after using it with my boys I can say I think it would work well for any child who is more of a visual learner. My 9 year old (dyslexic, ASD) has progressed so, so much over the past two months of using it -- far more than he has in the past two years with OG, frankly.

Miquon is pretty low cost and great for the younger years for math. 

• 1 month later...

Abeka letters and sounds k workbook (about 14$) and basic phonics flashcards(find used everywhere). You really dont need the rest abeka sells. Or christian liberty press adventures in phonics workbook($10) and their flashcards. If you can find your flashcards or want to use index cards to make some you could do this for either too. I assume you know how to teach phonograms;) Just drill them as they come up in the books.

• Like 1

I think explode the code has too much reading in the workbook too fast. Example level one has 2 sentences to read then pick the best for a picture...

I do like the get ready, set, go for the code(ABC) to learn the consonants though. Great for preschool or a k who doesn't know consonants;)

Memoria press first start reading is great and very OG compatible. I've used it with AAR when I need extra practice. All you need are First Start reading A-D I think for kindergarten. E is in the MP 1st grade set. You also don't have to buy them all at once. You may want the teacher book for word lists you dictate excetra. It does have a lot of handwriting in it- great for reinforcement but hard if child isn't ready. It includes spelling with the phonograms too. It is more OG than Spalding. You can see samples at Rainbow resource and memoria press is very helpful if you call them. 

The complete set with all books for k and 1 and teacher books. You can buy them separately too:

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/FSRCMP

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m bumping this with a similar question - we have used (successfully) the same Spalding-ish program for each kid, but it is still buried in a box from the move and I need something cheap in a workbook format for my bright five year old.  I don’t care one way or another for religious content, just quality phonological instruction.  Which program can I pick up for her in the meantime while I’m trying to find my box with Logic of English in it?  

It’s honestly been years since I’ve had to think about this - LoE has worked for each kid.  But we won’t be able to unpack fully for another few months ?

Have you looked at ProgressivePhonics.com? I'm using it with my second child, and even though he's a different learner than the first, both have done/are doing really well with it. Plus it's free.

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’ve not checked it out, I’ll go look!  She is bright and quick, but I’m not sure how much of s challenge this will be.  Unfortunately this is my most gifted kid, at a time when I have the least resources (money AND time) to devote to her.  Oy.

My two that have used it are both, in my opinion, gifted. Well, the older also took a test that said so, haha. I think this is a fantastic program that might be better known and respected if it weren't free, ifykwim. It's usually true that you get what you pay for, but this is one of those great free things that do exist. I hope it works well for you and your daughter. It isn't workbook based, though there are nice coordinating worksheets at some levels. We spend about ten to fifteen minutes on it doing a worksheet and then reading together. I know you have got to be very pressed for time in your house!

Edited by xahm
Adding info