Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW26: Halfway Down

Robin M

7 hours ago, Nan in Mass said:

Another peril of homeschooling is that your less booky adult children expect you to continue to supply them with reading matter, so the annual hunt for adult male reading matter is on, since some are joining us for vacation and some are shipping out soon. In order to go on vacation, I need to leave books with my mother.  Her burn rate is about a book a day, if I am not there.  Fortunately, she likes to reread, so I don't need a summer's worth of new books, but that is still a lot of books.

I've been thinking about this all day and have a few recommendation!

For your mother ... if I remember from past posts she and my grandmother had similar reading tastes. So here are books that I've read recently that I though my grandmother would have enjoyed:

• Everything Mumto just recommended
  • The Inspector Gamache series - Incredible setting in Quebec. Wonderful characters. Won oodles and oodles of mystery awards.
  • The Red House Mystery by AA Milne - he wrote this as a spoof of the who dun its of the day so it doesn't take itself seriously but it's delightful.
  • I hesitate to recommend this because she's probably read them but just in case ... James Herriot
  • A lessor known PG Wodehouse series ... Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Henrietta's War - A charming "homefront" look at life in Devon during WWII

And now for the young gents in your life. I'm borrowing books from my DH's read shelf. He's no longer young (43!) but he is a gent that likes a good book.

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I meant to reply to last week's question about summer/winter. Summer in Florida is just a date on a calendar because we experience summer weather from April to October. While I don't want to live in a climate with actual winter, I'm not a fan of our summer heat and humidity. I stay in the air conditioning as much as possible during the worst months. As I thought about it though, I realized there is something I do like about our summers. Thunderstorms. I love to read during a thunderstorm and we get them almost daily during the summer months. As long as you plan your errands around the storm, they're wonderfully cozy.  I just took a video of today's storm to show you all. It lasted for about 45 minutes. The rain is slowing down and the thunder is getting more distant. Soon the sun will be back out. Fingers crossed the upload works. This was taken from my front porch looking across the street.

I wish I was there. I LOVE thunderstorms. It's so cool when the sky just goes completely dark in the middle of the day and then the temperature drops. I love to wake up to them early in the morning and listen to the thunder outside. As an added bonus I generally get a kid that wants to cuddle with me when that happens too.

• Like 7

Finished:

Katherine Wentworth by DE Stevenson - It probably says something about my personality that I love books where there's almost no conflict. By the end of chapter two you know who our heroine is going to end up with and you know it's not going to be "messy" with love triangles or conflict.Things happen and they're stressful but you just know it's all going to turn out alright. This definitely fits into that category. On the Stevenson scale of "0 - nothing happens and this book is boring" to "5 - oh this is just so charming and lovely and I want to live in post-war Scotland" I'd rate this about a four. (Scotland)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I meant to reply to last week's question about summer/winter. Summer in Florida is just a date on a calendar because we experience summer weather from April to October. While I don't want to live in a climate with actual winter, I'm not a fan of our summer heat and humidity. I stay in the air conditioning as much as possible during the worst months. As I thought about it though, I realized there is something I do like about our summers. Thunderstorms. I love to read during a thunderstorm and we get them almost daily during the summer months. As long as you plan your errands around the storm, they're wonderfully cozy.  I just took a video of today's storm to show you all. It lasted for about 45 minutes. The rain is slowing down and the thunder is getting more distant. Soon the sun will be back out. Fingers crossed the upload works. This was taken from my front porch looking across the street.

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

@Lady Florida. I watched your video, and it was very soothing. I used to spend a lot of time in Florida, and I found those daily storms scary! But I am a total sissy when it comes to lightning. I thought your comment about timing errands was telling - it did seem like the timing of the daily storms is predictable. That is not true here (MD).

I grew up in south Texas and when DH and I moved away, I missed those summer thunderstorms. It was so lovely to sit on the porch and enjoy the sound of the rain.

• Like 6

Love the thunderstorm, Kathy!  I remember the ferocious storms we used to get in Georgia with all the thunder and lightning. Great when cozy inside the house.  

Wonderful to hear from you Nan. .  Your guys might want to give James Rollins a try if they like intense thrillers or Dean Koontz for some interesting psychological thrillers. Your mom may  like Menna Van Praag's House at the End of Hope Street or one of her other books.  If she likes art history mysteries - check out Iain Pears.      I love that you are finding exercise and pleasure with dancing

Speaking of dancing, I just watched Mamma Mia.  I loved Abba growing up so thoroughly enjoyed the movie and now have all the songs stuck in my head again. If any of you need a movie to lift your spirits, this is the one. 

I found my I book to finish spelling TULIP.  Ilona Andrews new Iron Covenant series which spins off the Kate Daniels stories starting with Iron and Magic.

"  

Hugh d’Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, Warlord of the Builder of Towers, served only one man. Now his immortal, nearly omnipotent master has cast him aside. Hugh is a shadow of the warrior he was, but when he learns that the Iron Dogs, soldiers who would follow him anywhere, are being hunted down and murdered, he must make a choice: to fade away or to be the leader he was born to be. Hugh knows he must carve a new place for himself and his people, but they have no money, no shelter, and no food, and the necromancers are coming. Fast.

Elara Harper is a creature who should not exist. Her enemies call her Abomination; her people call her White Lady. Tasked with their protection, she's trapped between the magical heavyweights about to collide and plunge the state of Kentucky into a war that humans have no power to stop. Desperate to shield her people and their simple way of life, she would accept help from the devil himself—and Hugh d’Ambray might qualify.

Hugh needs a base, Elara needs soldiers. Both are infamous for betraying their allies, so how can they create a believable alliance to meet the challenge of their enemies? 

As the prophet says: “It is better to marry than to burn.” 

Hugh and Elara may do both. "

• Like 6

I just finished the memoir My Grape Year (Grape Series Book 1)  by Laura Bradbury which was a light and pleasant read detailing the author's year in Burgundy when she was seventeen.  If you read this, prepare to be made VERY hungry as much delicious food and wine is consumed.

"At the age of seventeen in a last-minute twist of fate, Laura Bradbury is sent to Burgundy, France, for a year’s exchange. She arrives knowing only a smattering of French and with no idea what to expect in her first foray out of North America. With a head full of dreams and a powerful desire to please, Laura quickly adapts to Burgundian life, learning crucial skills such as the fine art of winetasting and how to savor snails.

However, the charming young men of the region mean Laura soon runs afoul of the rules, particularly the no-dating edict. Romantic afternoons in Dijon, early morning pain au chocolat runs, and long walks in the vineyards are wondrous but also present Laura with a conundrum: How can she keep her hosts happy while still managing to follow her heart? Follow along on Laura’s journey to I’amour in My Grape Year."

I was inspired to read this book after reading the transcript of this audio interview ~ An Interview with Laura Bradbury.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

Wow, Friday already and I am just opening this thread!  And I haven't looked at my Brit-Trip list in a while. This morning, though, I was happy to see that I'd read my Norfolk book some time ago, and I do have something planned for Cornwall, though I'm not too excited about it: Frenchman's Creek by Daphne DuMaurier.  I had loved Rebecca as a teen but found that as an adult she isn't really my cuppa.  

I am reading Barchester Towers for a wild card (and I need several) and love it. But I haven't had a lot of reading time.  It appears I am going back to work!  A job sort of fell into my lap last week, I interviewed and was told to expect an offer letter any day now; I'm already scheduled for orientation next week, assuming the offer is something I'll accept. It would have to be a terrible offer for me to refuse.  I haven't worked in 21 years and had been having a hard time getting anyone to talk to me.  My husband has been laid off as of today, with no prospects yet, so the timing is... well, lucky, fortunate, providential, take your  pick.  :-)

My reading will suffer!  I think my family will too. So I'm trying to get things planned out, stock up the pantry, spend more time on driving lessons with my daughter and finish some paperwork decluttering I was going to get to real soon now.

I have grown to love thunderstorms too!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Nan in Mass said:

Apparently it crosses over to dance, as well.  Another peril of homeschooling is that your less booky adult children expect you to continue to supply them with reading matter, so the annual hunt for adult male reading matter is on

My son (just turned 21) recently chewed up the Genghis Khan books (fiction) by Conn Igullden.  Birth of an Empire was the first; I think there are four.  I had seen the first on the library shelf and tossed it his way.  He managed to get the others on his own (well, mostly; he lost his library card long ago so had to take mine).  I believe the author has other historical fiction series, if that's the sort of thing that appeals.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

From Book Wenches:  The Many Delights of What We're Reading --June

The comments are very important with this link ? ..........Great list of books Kareni!

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Wow, Friday already and I am just opening this thread!  And I haven't looked at my Brit-Trip list in a while. This morning, though, I was happy to see that I'd read my Norfolk book some time ago, and I do have something planned for Cornwall, though I'm not too excited about it: Frenchman's Creek by Daphne DuMaurier.  I had loved Rebecca as a teen but found that as an adult she isn't really my cuppa.  

I am reading Barchester Towers for a wild card (and I need several) and love it. But I haven't had a lot of reading time.  It appears I am going back to work!  A job sort of fell into my lap last week, I interviewed and was told to expect an offer letter any day now; I'm already scheduled for orientation next week, assuming the offer is something I'll accept. It would have to be a terrible offer for me to refuse.  I haven't worked in 21 years and had been having a hard time getting anyone to talk to me.  My husband has been laid off as of today, with no prospects yet, so the timing is... well, lucky, fortunate, providential, take your  pick.  :-)

My reading will suffer!  I think my family will too. So I'm trying to get things planned out, stock up the pantry, spend more time on driving lessons with my daughter and finish some paperwork decluttering I was going to get to real soon now.

Congratulations on the job!  As mom who hasn’t been employed in my field in decades that is a huge achievement.  I was just telling hubby that I doubt that I could even talk my way into the lowest level job in the department that I used to be supervisor for, my company disappeared long ago so that would another issue. ? I am really proud of you......The timing does seem  providential for your family.  

I spent a month or so reading DuMaurier a few years ago but I didn’t get to Frenchman’s Creek.  Some of her short stories were quite good but I found that I didn’t love her books as much as I anticipated.  I have reread Rebecca a few times.  I still liked it when I preread it for did a few years ago but am discovering I loved anything I could pass on to dd  at that time!  

Thunderstorms......I have spent years in Florida and love the summer storms.  The predictability always amazes me!  Yes, I enjoy the thunder and lightning too.  As a side note, in England there is rarely thunder and lightning which is strange.     It can be an incredible storm with none.....but as someone who has gotten caught miles from shelter on field trips many times there I came to believe that the missing lightning is in my best interest. Lol. Weather forecast is unpredictable too, if we stay inside because it might rain we would never go anywhere!  A storm with lightning in England is major.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I am reading Barchester Towers for a wild card (and I need several) and love it. But I haven't had a lot of reading time.  It appears I am going back to work!  A job sort of fell into my lap last week, I interviewed and was told to expect an offer letter any day now; I'm already scheduled for orientation next week, assuming the offer is something I'll accept. It would have to be a terrible offer for me to refuse.  I haven't worked in 21 years and had been having a hard time getting anyone to talk to me.  My husband has been laid off as of today, with no prospects yet, so the timing is... well, lucky, fortunate, providential, take your  pick.  ?

Wow. Good for you! I hope you love your job and I'm sorry about your DH's job. That timing is ... I need a word that means "lucky" and "fortunate" and "blessing" in equal parts.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, marbel said:

A job sort of fell into my lap last week, I interviewed and was told to expect an offer letter any day now; I'm already scheduled for orientation next week, assuming the offer is something I'll accept.

Best wishes with the new job, Marbel!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I thought that was someone else....

erm?  This came up in my email and I thought, I don't remember saying that.  LOL!  I have no idea why they included that in the synopsis. Don't recall it being mentioned in the story.    Now I'm curious and will have to look for it. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, marbel said:

I am reading Barchester Towers for a wild card (and I need several) and love it. But I haven't had a lot of reading time.  It appears I am going back to work!  A job sort of fell into my lap last week, I interviewed and was told to expect an offer letter any day now; I'm already scheduled for orientation next week, assuming the offer is something I'll accept. It would have to be a terrible offer for me to refuse.  I haven't worked in 21 years and had been having a hard time getting anyone to talk to me.  My husband has been laid off as of today, with no prospects yet, so the timing is... well, lucky, fortunate, providential, take your  pick.  ?

Congratulations Marbel!  How exciting and what a grand new adventure for your family.  I'm sure you've got a long honey do list that will keep your hubby busy while you are working.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Congratulations Marbel!  How exciting and what a grand new adventure for your family.  I'm sure you've got a long honey do list that will keep your hubby busy while you are working.  

LOL our house is one big ol' honey-do list and he is looking forward to working on that, but he also needs to get back to work.  My little job won't come close to supporting us. and at his age (mid-50s) he can't wait around too long, kwim?  :-)  No early retirements for us.   :-)   Actually, since I am older, and started working at a younger age than he did, I've put in more years... if I count the homeschooling years.  Which I do!  :-) :-)  

It is going to be interesting.  I'm half terrified, half excited about getting back into the professional world. 

• Like 5

I've been participating in my library's summer reading program and needed to read a mystery; consequently, I re-read Murder In Thrall  by Anne Cleeland  which I enjoyed once again.

"Can London's most elusive killer elude the keen minds of Scotland Yard's most unlikely pair of detectives?

An Irish redhead of humble beginnings and modest means, Kathleen Doyle is the antithesis of Chief Inspector Michael Sinclair, Lord Acton, the brilliant but enigmatic lord with a knack for solving London's most high profile homicides. When a horse trainer is found dead at a racetrack, the duo's investigation does little to deter the killer at large. Jeopardizing the case are their colleagues at CID headquarters, whose nosing into the nature of Doyle and Acton's after hours relationship threatens to lay bare the most classified information of all. As the murders pile up, Doyle and Acton uncover something far more sinisiter than they could have imagined. Now that they know too much, their partnership could be very brief indeed. . ."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

I read 14/25 books of the bingo squares

I read about 12 books that I am sure they fit in the Brit Trip, I read also about 5 books I don’t know where to fit in.

I was ahead and now behind of my reading goal this year, but hopefully summer will make everything well.

Meanwhile I am studying Christmas songs and the Deutsche Messe for choir ?

• Like 9

Just a quick wave hello! We got home Thursday after 27 hours of travel, spent most of yesterday doing laundry in a jet lagged fog. I'll post more tomorrow with the start of the new thread.

Quick synopsis -- Australia is wonderful, and we managed to cover most of the country in 2 weeks. I had lunch with Rosie but not StellaM (Melissa) who was battling bronchitis. Photos and reading updates to follow.

• Like 8