Menu

I'd love your best creative ideas on improving AM disposition!

I realize that I set the tone, but...

Some days I can see the connection, but other days there just seems to be no way to get these kids out of their morning funk! I have 3 or 4 grumpy kids that are constantly fussing at each other during the morning (especially when mom needs morning peace and quiet!).

I have 5 ds and a 4yo dd. No problems with my little girl (yet?!?), but the boys.. Arghh!

Any ideas on improving the morning tone and getting these grumpy kids to have hearts of gratitude????

Thanks,

Kim

I let my dd's wake up slowly now. I put on music they like, and don't go in their room until a couple of songs have played. Then I give them another song or two to get moving.

I don't get TOO chipper with them, as that can be more annoying than anything first thing in the morning (I'm not a morning person, either.) It doesn't always work, so sometimes they eat breakfast in shifts. I'm sure many would disagree with my strategy, but every family is different and my dd's will either grow out of this post puberty or post teen years, or they'll learn strategies to cope just as I have developed mine. I don't drink coffee, so that's not my strategy, but I haven't punched anyone in the nose for waking me up since I was 8 ;)

My dd's like to read the Bible, so I have them do that in the mornings and it often helps. But I wouldn't force it if they hated it because I don't want them to hate it.

Yesterday I suggested to ds (13) that we could all take turns being the one to set the alarm and wake each person up. He didn't like that idea at all, but it was a lot easier to wake him up the next morning!

I feel your pain. My oldest is quiet in the mornings, but she's old enough to work on her own, so she doesn't need to have interaction. My 3rd born is sweet and good natured 95% of the time, and is a morning person, but the other two are just miserable in the mornings. Unfortunately, they inherited it from me.:glare:

I'll be watching this thread to see what others suggest.

:lurk5:

Lori

I'd set a rule that anyone over say the age of 7 can't talk first thing in the morning until mom says it is okay.

We are not morning people. Most days that the three of us are home in the morning not a word is said for at least the first 30 minutes out of bed.

By the time I ready to decide what breakfast will be we are all fairly reasonable.

Are you sure everyone is getting enough sleep?

If that's OK, how about a glass of water or something first thing? Dehydration can make you grumpy and a good night's sleep can mean it's been too long without water. Rosie's juice idea is a good one too. My kids will spring out of bed for Coke. (not necessarily recommending that on a daily basis)

With so many children, you may not find this practical, but I think it's nice to get each child up individually and spend a few moments snuggling or chatting quietly - giving good quality individual attention. Keeping it happy and friendly.

I think I like the music suggestion too.

I read this, hit the post reply button and somehow I got my own solo post which looks quite strange without the intended thread. :001_smile: So here's what I wrote, hopefully showing up where it was supposed to be!

I have been searching for an answer on this for a couple years.

My middle child, and only son (now 11), can be absolutely miserable to be around in the morning. I have searched for patterns such as not enough sleep, too much sleep, needs to eat, but bottom line...it really doesn't matter what the outside circumstances are...he's a bear. So here's what I do. I try to give him a little space for a bit. I make sure he eats. He usually starts with devotion. And then I draw the line. He does not like being away from everyone in his room and he knows the later he starts school the less play time he has so if he is not respectful and at least basically polite, he leaves the group and goes back to his room. He is not allowed to turn our peace into grumpiness. He knows I will count this time towards afternoon play time so if he has to spend his play time in his room getting his attitude right then he doesn't get to play with friends later. In spite of what sounds to me like pretty good boundaries...he's my kid that doesn't learn anything easily (in life...not in school) and we occasionally have to go back to this same ole lesson again...and again...But where I used to get frustated thinking he hadn't learned a thing the first time, I now realize that we really are making progress in the attitude, discipline, respect area. It just doesn't come naturally easy to him or his strong will. But my rule is you can be upset and need to talk about it, you can be tired and not want to talk at all, you can not feel well and not want to participate...but you aren't allowed to impose a bad mood or disrespect on the household.

My boys are larks, so I can't speak from experience, but if they were slow starters I'd have them drink a small glass of oj first thing. Maybe I'd even put it by their beds. A little glucose and water is just what some folks need to prime the pump. It's what I've heard suggested for people who aren't hungry for breakfast. 'Prime the pump.'

Also, if people are not speaking kindly to one another, I require silence. That helps a lot.

As a slow morning starter myself, I suggest more time to wake up. Nothing I do or have ever done makes those first 2 hours (yes a full 2 hours) any more pleasant for me or those around me. I have learned to just keep my mouth shut and be as civil as I can but so far (in almost 40 years) that's the best I've been able to do.

If you have to wake them up, they are probably not getting enough sleep. Put them to bed earlier- kids that age still need 11 hours sleep. And you need at least 8.

Are they eating cereal for breakfast, or other forms of sugar? Give them all, including you, a high protein breakfast with little or no sugar.

Some people are just not morning people- we only have one in my family, dd14. But I am not willing for her to start later than the rest of us because she has afternoon activities, so she gets to sleep in on Saturdays. She gets up, has a shower (usually longer than she should) and spends a good half an hour getting dressed, doing her hair etc (she has lots of curly hair). Then she does her chores. Only then is she ready for breakfast. Then music practice. Then finally, school. However last term, I had her also go for a walk around the block before school to wake up her brain a bit more. She is still not really in gear until mid morning, but she manages.

Now if it were *me* that were not the morning person, I would organise our schedule around *me*. :)

my son is often ready before even me, so I have him read until I can go over his maths with him.

Your kids are young. It will get easier, I promise. They still need you a lot.