Menu

Singapore math question

Smiles

My son will be a 5th grader soon and I'm wondering about math. We have always used Singapore. I'm finding he needs to go over things a little more than what Singapore does. He needs more review. He can get it, it just takes a while and lots of review. We are finishing 4A and on the last review in the textbook he really struggled mainly fractions and area and perimeter. I've considered switching to something different but I don't want to bounce around. I just feel that he needs more review. I guess I'm wondering what you would do? He does the textbook, workbook, and the metal math in the back of the instructors guide. I considered getting the extra practice books but I'm not sure. He has always been the type that needs to go  over things a little more to get it. I'm just afraid to bounce around too much, afraid I'll mess  him up! Thank you for your time! 

If you are otherwise happy with Singapore at it's really just the one or two sections that he struggled with, maybe you can find some additional worksheets online that you can print for free. I have also had success getting a Math Start or similar book from the library that illustrates the concept. If you feel he needs extra practice on every section, I don't know. Singapore does have those extra practice books, but personally I feel that the textbook and the workbook include an awful lot of practice and review as it is. And I don't even have the IG. So possibly he would be better off with a different curriculum that presents the concepts in a way that makes more sense to him, rather than heaping on additional work. 

• Like 1

I make a review page that my kids do each day outside of math time. I write 2-5 problems they need extra practice with in a notebook for each child. I've been doing this for about 2 years now, and it's working pretty well to keep concepts in mind. Also, slow down if you need and take longer to cover the material. There's no rush to finish. Understanding the concept is key.

Fractions and area and perimeter come back around in level 5 of Singapore.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I have thought about doing the extra practice book, I just don't want to be too overwhelming. I even considered changing to CLE math. He doesn't do this with everything but I do feel like book 4A has been a big struggle, I'm not sure why. He has his math facts down pretty solid. The area and perimeter throws him I think because its a few different steps, I'm not sure. It took him a good while to get equivalent fractions down but he does have that down a lot better now. Mixed fraction throw him off and adding and subtracting fractions throw him off. I have a soon to be 4 th grader that will probably be in the same book as him and he doesn't have any trouble, that probably won't go over well with my older son. It's just weird and interesting that both of these kids are mine and they are so different! My 5 th grader is a perfectionist and he loves art, science, read aloud, geography and building things. Hates spelling and hasn't been too wild about math! I may just stick with Singapore and do the review somehow! I don't know I'm torn, he may need a different approach! I wish there was a homeschool fairy that would tell me exactly what I need to do! Thank you all! 

The extra practice books are good.  We used one for the grade four year.  We only did the bits out of it that he really needed.  I hear you though because I frequently find myself questioning whether Singapore is really right for us due to the lack of repetition.  Ultimately I keep coming back to it though.

also I recently posted about another thing we are using which is web based and it's called Matholia.  It uses Singapore scope and sequence.  You buy a subscription.  It has been a bit fiddly to set up and occasional glitches but it's been really good for extra practice because the kids can keep going over until they get three stars and they get instant feedback if they didn't get it right.

• Like 1

I am such a huge fan of SM that I would never recommend anyone to switch! ?

One of the reason I like SM so much is bc it's spiral.  There will be review of 4A in 5A, but if you are worried, you might want to get extra practice and just throw in a few exercises a week from that while still moving ahead.

We are in the middle of 5A and my kid has done so much fraction work at this point that  I wonder if he thinks math is just fractions, fractions, fractions.

But like I said, I think SM it the best of the best, so I might be a little bit biased LOL

Good luck!!

• Like 1

i have one kid like that who math just doesn’t stick with lots of practice needed

I agree with stick with the program and just throw in lots of extra practice either the SM extra practice books or key to... even just a little behind to keep reminding them what they learned last month. Singapore is fairy quick to get through so supplementing is totally doable and that way  you don’t loose continuity cuz you are  doing the same program throughout.  I feel when you get to book 5 and 6 is when Singapore really gets good, so I wouldn’t want you to give up before that. 

when I get to book 6 we do every possible review problem in the textbook, feels like year 6 is mostly review anyway and kind of short

• Like 1

I have one more question! Do you all use the instructors guide, textbook, and workbook and that's it? I notice there are a lot of different ones you can get. Intensive practice, extra practice, word problems, wondering if we should be doing one of those also.