Menu

CLE through high school math?

I hope you are not all tired of my math threads by now ? I really still need help!

I am considering switching my upcoming 7th grader to CLE.  She would need to go through the 600's and maybe even some of the 500's to get caught up with their scope and sequence. Her multiplication facts are solid, she's great at division, good at fractions and decimals and just recently started percents but understands them.  She's had barely any exposure to order of operations, simplifying equations, solving for y, negative numbers.

I think she needs a spiral approach and she loves workbooks. Is there any reason why I can't consider switching her to CLE for the long haul?  They have Geometry and Algebra II now and even Functions and Trig. Will it prepare her for the SATs?  She is not going to be a scientist or a mathematician, I can guarantee it. But she is college bound and I want to prepare her well for the SATs and of course for real life.

If I'm not mistaken, CLE Algebra is the last level they have that is their own.  The other levels, Geometry and up are from different publishers with a CLE schedule so the approach isn't quite the same as up through Algebra I.  That's why a lot of people end up switching after Algebra I.

• Like 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but CLE's Geo, Alg 2, & up aren't Sunrise Editions. They haven't been revised like Alg 1 & below. (My memory is same as JanOH's)

My kids need spiral, too. But I wouldn't use the old CLE math books (everything not labeled "Sunrise").

Key To ... is workbooks. Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, Key to Percents, even Key to Algebra.

I'm using Russian Math 6 (inexpensive download) as a pre-algebra for my dd#3. She would still need to work the problem on separate paper, IMO, as there isn't a huge amount of room on the pages. Some of it is out-loud. Explanation followed by lots of problems to work. End of chapter is a review.

I see you've looked at Saxon. IMO, just about everything from here (pre-alg) on up is write-out-problem separately. She'll need to get used to it soon because there is definitely a need to learn how to write out math.

Ok, the last one that is Sunrise is Algebra 1

https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/175 

So is the CLE Algebra 1 a solid program?

I don't like the Key To... workbooks at all.  We tried them for fractions, and ended up with Math Mammoth which was much better for her. I know MM is mastery, but the teaching was excellent and then we just did lots and lots of practice. 

I moved my older kids to CLE and have no regrets about it.  One is in the 700 level and the other is in 600.  I'm not sure what we'll do about algebra...Many families move away from CLE so they can use Algebra I and II from the same publisher.  I though CLE was working on Algebra II before Geometry, but I can't remember where I heard that.  I feel like they will have a solid math background no matter which algebra program we end up with. 

I think she'd be fine going with level 600.  There is so much review!  My kids hadn't covered many of the topics presented.  We switched from MUS and they hadn't done much with decimals or geometry and nothing with exponents and order of operations.  We just took the first book a bit slower and they had no problem picking everything up. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Ok, the last one that is Sunrise is Algebra 1

https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/175 

So is the CLE Algebra 1 a solid program?

I don't like the Key To... workbooks at all.  We tried them for fractions, and ended up with Math Mammoth which was much better for her. I know MM is mastery, but the teaching was excellent and then we just did lots and lots of practice. 

We are using CLE Algebra 1 and I am super happy with it.  We did both 700 and 800 before moving to it and it went very well.  I have no regrets thus far.  I have no idea what we are going to do when we finish Algebra I.  I'm trying not to think about it.

So I emailed them yesterday and asked about the high school courses.  They said Algebra II is being field tested right now. No info on Geometry. 

I'm between CLE and Saxon 7/6. I think CLE will be much better for her, but we are going to have to start at the 600s and fill in along the way with random things she has not been exposed to.  Hopefully she can do 600-800 over the next two years, using summers, and be ready for Algebra I in 9th grade. 

• Like 3

I am in a similar situation with my DD that will be in 8th grade in the fall.  She's been using TT for the past couple years, but midway through Pre-Algebra this year I realized she was retaining nothing and we switched to LOF for a while.  While searching other options, I had her try some CLE samples and she really enjoyed it and for the first time didn't complain about math!  To help make sure to fill any gaps before beginning 800 next year, I had her work through CLE's Math Development Skills sets.  They have 3 available: Algebra; Geometry; Fractions, Ratios, and Proportions and they review material from 200-800.  I had her skip all the 800 level sheets since it would be new material next year.   You mentioned maybe even needing to review some of the 500 material, these booklets may be a good way to accelerate through some of that or at least pinpoint areas to work on.  We've found them helpful as a review in general as well as to fill in holes to prepare for next year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

So I emailed them yesterday and asked about the high school courses.  They said Algebra II is being field tested right now. No info on Geometry. 

I'm between CLE and Saxon 7/6. I think CLE will be much better for her, but we are going to have to start at the 600s and fill in along the way with random things she has not been exposed to.  Hopefully she can do 600-800 over the next two years, using summers, and be ready for Algebra I in 9th grade. 

Thanks for this Info!  OT, but does anyone know how long it takes to go from field testing to selling the program?  I will be SOOO happy if Sunrise Algebra II is available in 2-3 years.  

4 hours ago, ASmith said:

To help make sure to fill any gaps before beginning 800 next year, I had her work through CLE's Math Development Skills sets.  They have 3 available: Algebra; Geometry; Fractions, Ratios, and Proportions and they review material from 200-800.

I didn't know they had these!!  I'll have to look at that!  Perfect!

1 hour ago, TX Native said:

Thanks for this Info!  OT, but does anyone know how long it takes to go from field testing to selling the program?  I will be SOOO happy if Sunrise Algebra II is available in 2-3 years.

This is what the e-mail said:

We are definitely working toward getting Geometry and Algebra II updated to the Sunrise Edition; however, curriculum revisions are a time-consuming process. Algebra II is actually being field-tested now, but we don’t have a projected availability date at this time. I would expect, though, that it will be available within the next couple years. The geometry project is not as advanced as Algebra II.

I’m sorry I can’t give you more definite answers. Hopefully this will help you plan a little bit. Let me know if there is more that I can do for you.

• Like 1

We used CLE from 500 through Algebra I. I agree with others that you want to look elsewhere after that point. CLE Algebra I seems solid. I have one child finished with it.  He did redo a few of the later units because he felt he needed solidifying before moving on to the next unit. We hadn't encountered that in previous CLE levels. I may decide to do some type of Algebra I assessment with him, as we've got some time to kill before I want to start Geometry. But I'm pleased at this point with his mastery of the CLE content.  I decided on Teaching Textbooks Geometry to follow Algebra, but I don't plan to stick with TT beyond that. I'm not sure yet where we'll head for Algebra II. I'm not worried about using a different program than I did for Algebra I. 

I had to switch another child to a different program half way through CLE Algebra I. The CLE lessons were just too long for him day in and out.  We needed more flexibility. I'm using Lials with him, and I found that completing half of CLE Algebra had resulted in mastery of about half the material in Lial's Algebra. I do think Lial's tends to have less pretty answers and more problems, including word problems, generally compared to CLE. But the content seems equivalent so far. I may run this kid through CLE chapter reviews and tests after Lials. Maybe. I like the spiral of CLE.