Menu

Easy science experiments?

My kids beg me for science experiments. Literally. And I'm just not "with it" in a lot of areas right now. The last two years in a row, we were more focused on nature (I use the word "focused" a bit loosely here...), and we did lots of group activities with friends that had to do with animals and plants. But they really want science experiments that they can do, so I'm thinking that maybe next year we can just build some sort of science around various experiments. This next year, kids will be 9, 7, 5, and 3. I don't need lots of books (for them), as I'm cool with putting a hundred books on any topic on hold at the library and reading through them whenever we want. But I need some sort of spine that involves lots of easy experiments I can do with stuff mostly from the grocery store.

I found a website that lists half a dozen different ideas for growing crystals, that I thought could be fun for a month if we just hit up the grocery store for extra salt, sugar, and borax and get books from the library, but I need more than just one month of crystals to make them happy next year, I think.... lol. Does anyone have something like this? We did do the Inquiry in action for a while, and my kids had a great time with that a few years ago. Maybe I should just do it again?

We've liked much of what we've done with BFSU.  The lessons are all hands on and really easy to accomplish with minimal special equipment (I think in the first book the only thing I bought was balloons).  We're going to continue with the second book, but the lessons this year have satisfied my kid after coming from Mystery Science.

We love the Stratton House Home Science Adventures.  They have everything ready to go in the kits, along with simple, helpful worksheets.  These have been my favorite science experiment kits!  They are a bit pricey, but I don't get to experiments if I have to buy a bunch of things ahead of time.

• Like 1

I have BFSU and while I think it gives a good foundation I do not think it is easy to put together a lesson and has been kind of a pain in my rear... but I will finish it because I'm just like that. 

If you really just want a book of experiments I think the "Kitchen Science Lab for Kids" by Heinecke is fun. We've done a few experiments from that... like sugar crystals and just picked up a library book whenever I got around to it... that sounds like it might be more up your alley. (I also have her "Outdoor Science" book but was not quite as impressed with it). 

• Like 1

Usborne Books, which  you can find at almost any book store, has several books with easy-to-do, hands-on activities.

Also, if you have a teacher supply store near you, you might be able to find these nifty science-in-a-box things. I wish I could remember who makes them. :-( But they are inexpensive, and they do things like weather and magnets. Everything you need is in the box, and they are not inexpensive.

Don't overlook your local public library.