Menu

After rod and staff English 8?

Dudley

We never made it to 9/10. I tried getting them through some older WTM reccs (Stewart English) but we never managed to finish them. They were just so DONE with grammar by then, and they were using it in their writing. So we channeled that extra English time into writing.

(My next set of kids didn't even make it to R&S 8, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask...lol)

I'm not planning to continue after level 8. My ds already has very few grammar problems in his writing, so I don't see the need. If at some point he does start to have trouble, we can always go back and do some of the level 8 lessons over. I only assign him the even numbers or the odd numbers for each lesson, so literally he hasn't even done half the exercises in this book. 

Sounds like you've done a thorough job on Grammar and you're done!

Most homeschoolers complete formal Grammar instruction along about 8th grade or so, and then move to *using* the tool of Grammar in Writing (rough draft writing, revising, proof-editing), and in Speaking (oral presentations, Speech & Debate, public speaking, etc.). And, of course, as part of learning a Foreign Language.

If you are concerned your student is getting rusty during high school, you can add in quick bites of Grammar review by doing something like The Chortling Bard 1-3x/week.

• Like 1

We have stopped after 8 for the older two. My third is going to do 8 next year. He had a harder time with grammar, so we will either do it more slowly or do 9/10. 

For a child who has done well, writes grammatically and does well on the SAT practice grammar part, 8 is enough. 

My child scored a 90% on the language portion of her PSAT this year, scoring highest in grammar. Thanks, R&S. ? After 8 for her, we have continued on w/9/10 at a slow rate. She reads a lesson or two a week. She rarely does any assignments from it, but does the editing sheets when there is one.  I don't plan on dropping it, but it isn't a focus. Actually, R&S grammar hasn't even been a huge focus for us ever. We have always done it 2-3 times a week. We have almost never finished a book in a school year. Sometimes we have done 1 book over two years. Once I just skipped a level altogether. My current 8th grader is only in the 6th grade book. So we will just keep moving through and probably never get to 9/10 for her, or at least not finish. But she will get through 8 over the course of high school, slowly but surely. In your case since your child has time, I would keep 9/10 in your reading stack. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 5:20 PM, Faithseed said:

We used Fix-it Grammar after R&S 8 just as consistent and constant review. Just takes a few mins per day. 

I was actually thinking fix it. But was struggling alittle bit with placement, where did you start?

Heidi, I would say in 5th grade we did the equivalent of 4th grade Rod and Staff and we never did grammar again until in 8th grade when we watched school house rock videos. Interestingly a homeschooled boy  was the only kid in our class that knew the 8 parts of speech and how to indent paragraphs.

Brenda

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 6:23 PM, Dudley said:

I was actually thinking fix it. But was struggling alittle bit with placement, where did you start?

We started at the beginning. It's quick and easy, but still very good. For the first book, (9th grade-ish), we did one "week" per day, as long as we had the time. After that, we scheduled it as time permitted. Honestly, I don't think either of my 2 graduated children got past the 2nd...possibly the 3rd book (I'd have to look and I'm too lazy), but they both scored wonderfully on the ACT in grammar. The purpose was only to keep skills sharp, and Fix-it did that for us.