Menu

Textbook Donation Ideas, Please

Familia

Better World Books has a donation box at our local community college. The proceeds from the books are to go back to the college. I checked the box a couple of weeks after dropping the books off. All of the college textbooks were gone though a couple of the high school textbooks were still in the box. I don't know if the students scavenged them or Better World picked them up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

Better World Books has a donation box at our local community college. The proceeds from the books are to go back to the college. I checked the box a couple of weeks after dropping the books off. All of the college textbooks were gone though a couple of the high school textbooks were still in the box. I don't know if the students scavenged them or Better World picked them up.

If the requirement is that the books be donated to a 501c3, Better World Books is not a 501c3.  In fact, it is a for-profit organization.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

If the requirement is that the books be donated to a 501c3, Better World Books is not a 501c3.  In fact, it is a for-profit organization.  

Yep.  This irritated the head of our Library Friends group to no end.  

We were selling books for a few dollars and putting the money into library programs.  They were getting books for free and selling them for much more than we would have, then keeping most of the money.

Some of our colleges habe had groups that help various student populations (minority, native Hawaiian, first gen college, veteran).  A group like this might welcome current textbooks.

For older textbooks see if you can find a group sending academic books to an overseas college setting.  However I would watch the age of the textbook.  Some would be too old to be usable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Yep.  This irritated the head of our Library Friends group to no end.  

We were selling books for a few dollars and putting the money into library programs.  They were getting books for free and selling them for much more than we would have, then keeping most of the money.

Better World Books has books given to them for free.  They take title of these books.  Some they sell, which results in profits.  Some they donate, which because they are donating their property, results in a tax deduction for them!

8 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

Better World Books has books given to them for free.  They take title of these books.  Some they sell, which results in profits.  Some they donate, which because they are donating their property, results in a tax deduction for them!

I would prefer that they go to a non-for-profit but if our CC gets something for them, the books get used, they are easy for me to donate, I am good. I have to make decluttering easy or it doesn’t happen. That said, I understand how this doesn’t work for all. 

8 hours ago, jdahlquist said:

I would prefer that they go to a non-for-profit but if our CC gets something for them, the books get used, they are easy for me to donate, I am good. I have to make decluttering easy or it doesn’t happen. That said, I understand how this doesn’t work for all. 

5 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

I am curious regarding the arrangement that the CC has for getting something for the books.  I have looked at Better World Books and cannot find anything specific about how these relationships work.  There is wording like "your donation 'may' help" and "we give a lot of money away" but I can't find any way of knowing how much this is actually happening.

I am asking because I have found myself in a similar position as the OP, in that I am in an organization that has about 400 books that need to be used for its charitable purposes and I am having a difficult time finding outlets that meet our requirements.  

On 5/9/2018 at 1:33 PM, jdahlquist said:

I am asking because I have found myself in a similar position as the OP, in that I am in an organization that has about 400 books that need to be used for its charitable purposes and I am having a difficult time finding outlets that meet our requirements.  

Would a not for profit college not qualify as recipient? 

15 hours ago, regentrude said:

Would a not for profit college not qualify as recipient? 

Yes, any not-for-profit college would qualify, if it is really going to the college as the recipient, such as to the college library.  They cannot go to an individual professor or student.  Finding universities with a process to take them and that are willing to take them has been difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, Familia said:

That is a splendid idea for our high school texts!  The college texts need to benefit a charitable organization as a scholarship 'pass it on' policy.

Many homeschool organizations are official non-profits, even smaller ones. And many high school students use college textbooks, or it could also help them in their first year of college. 

Freshmen at our son's college just began a textbook exchange cafe as a leadership development project.  So, our son has chosen to sell the textbooks he can, donating the proceeds to the scholarship fund itself, then donate the remainder of the books to the book cafe.  He took a little bit from many of your collective suggestions and put them together - Thank you!

With this, he is pleased to help the flagship book cafe get a footing, helping students in two ways.  

• Like 3