Menu

Chemistry and Physics help!

BusyMom5

I am trying to find a good program or good sources for physics and chem next year.  Kids will be 5th and 8th... but I also have a 2nd grader who will want to join in if possible.  My high schooler will be doing a lab chemistry, too.  Main focus is 5th and 8th grade level, though.  

I'e been looking on tpt for Stem units, but can't' decide.  Any reviews?  My kids like notebooking and hands on.  I need easy to plan, bc I also have a baby.  Also looked at Science Fusion modules, we've tried one and liked it.  Just no way 2nd grader could do it.  5th graders could read and keep up imo.   Also looking at Noeo, it looks adjustable in age. 

What have you used and loved?  I'm thinking simple machines, balloon cars, fire works, small motors, gravity experiments like an egg drop, mentso in a coke bottle, baking soda volcanos,  ect.

Have you looked at Exploration Education? It is super hands on and would be an intro to Physical Science - a combo of Chem and Physics - at the 5th and 8th grade levels. Personally, I prefer the text to be deeper, but it is certainly a just fine option. I really did like the hands on stuff and the fact that their kit includes everything you need apart from batteries for the things you build. We have made the race car, electrical circuits and glider plane so far. Next up will be the motor and whatever is solar powered. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carrierocha said:

Have you looked at Exploration Education? It is super hands on and would be an intro to Physical Science - a combo of Chem and Physics - at the 5th and 8th grade levels. Personally, I prefer the text to be deeper, but it is certainly a just fine option. I really did like the hands on stuff and the fact that their kit includes everything you need apart from batteries for the things you build. We have made the race car, electrical circuits and glider plane so far. Next up will be the motor and whatever is solar powered. 

I agree! We spent some time at his booth at the convention and it looked great! If I had middle schoolers doing physics I'd be all over it.

My DS used Exploration Education Advanced. It really worked well for him and I would absolutely recommend it. Your fifth grader would do the regular part, three days a week, and your eighth grader would do advanced five days a week.  Not sure, but maybe your little one can even tag along, watch and “ help”. 

What about Ellen McHenry’s The Elements and Carbon Chemistry? There’s also ACS Middle School Chemistry (free curriculum). We really loved RSO’s Bio 2 and I know she has written an Astronomy course for that same level - doesn’t cover all of physics but I would venture to guess it is well done and easy for students to use semi-independently.  She breaks things down into different schedules (eg 3, 4 or 5 days a week) and gives very clear instructions to student and to teacher.  

I had not known about Exploration Education,  thst looks perfect!  My 10 grader will want to do it, too.   Havery any of you use it?  Reviews?  What all should I order to get 2 5th graders, an 8th grader and 10th grader?  Does each kid need the supplies kit, or can I have them share?

On 5/7/2018 at 4:59 AM, BusyMom5 said:

I am trying to find a good program or good sources for physics and chem next year.  Kids will be 5th and 8th... but I also have a 2nd grader who will want to join in if possible.  My high schooler will be doing a lab chemistry, too.  Main focus is 5th and 8th grade level, though.  

I'e been looking on tpt for Stem units, but can't' decide.  Any reviews?  My kids like notebooking and hands on.  I need easy to plan, bc I also have a baby.  Also looked at Science Fusion modules, we've tried one and liked it.  Just no way 2nd grader could do it.  5th graders could read and keep up imo.   Also looking at Noeo, it looks adjustable in age. 

What have you used and loved?  I'm thinking simple machines, balloon cars, fire works, small motors, gravity experiments like an egg drop, mentso in a coke bottle, baking soda volcanos,  ect.

RSO chemistry and physics for grades 2-6 would work perfectly for your younger two.  You might need to supplement or use a higher level for the older one though.  That's exactly the kind of thing they do.

Layers of Learning is a great supplement to almost any curriculum. There are plenty of hands on projects for chem and physics.

https://layers-of-learning.com

Mr Q Science goes on sale for 1/2 price very January. It is worth the price of the curriculum just for the ESP labs.

https://eequalsmcq.com

Free ESP lab worksheets

http://eequalsmcq.com/BlankLabSheets.htm

Bill Nye the Science Guy videos are not to be missed. The demonstrations and labs can often be repeated at home. Those that cannot are even better to watched.