Menu

Book suggestions re end of WWII

We've been looking at the end of WWII from various perspectives in the Pacific region.

We've read Codetalkers, Keoko, Sachiko and The Year of Impossible Goodbyes.

So, we've had some US perspective, some South Korean perspective, some Japanese perspective and some North Korean perspective.

I'm not quite ready to let this go, but I've run out of book ideas. We like novels and narrative non-fiction.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The Chestry Oak (Seredy) -- goes through WW2 and after, starting in occupied Hungary and goes through 1946/1947 and immigrating to the U.S.

After the War (Matas) -- European Jewish perspective -- 1946-1948; teen who lost everyone in the war moves from Europe to Palestine and the start of Israel

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord) -- 1947, elementary-aged Chinese girl and her family are new immigrants to the U.S.

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (Coerr) -- 1955; 12yo Japanese girl who developed leukemia from radiation exposure from the 1946 end of WW2 Hiroshima atomic blast when she was a toddler

ETA -- aannnddd never mind... these are not Pacific-based-at-the-end-of-WW2 books. (:D

• Like 1

Well, I think Sadako is sort of an end of WWII book - it's an aftermath in Japan book. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head though, not for kids.

There maybe are some resources for the war in China, which is a topic in the Pacific that you didn't hit... I'm trying to think of what would be accessible to kids...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I appreciate your help.

Even the books that aren't specifically Pacific-based I'll be keeping in mind for future studies, so they're all appreciated.

I'll have a look at Journey to Topaz and also Double Victory. Thank you for the ideas.

My next plan would be to head into the Korean War, so I'm all ears for ideas to support this too.

Just in case anyone is interested, I've found this book: So Far From the Bamboo Grove.

This one is from the perspective of a Japanese family living in North Korea near the end of WWII. This should follow nicely after our current book, The Year of Impossible Goodbyes, which is the same setting and time-frame, but from a Korean perspective.

I found it here: http://www.hclibrary.us/pdfs/youth/booklists/hisficgrade4.pdf 

• Like 1

You might find Shin's Tricycle in the picture books at your library...or not, because the subject matter deals with the aftermath of the bomb dropped.  But it is a good, personal, story that is heartfelt.  I like to pair it with The Peace Tree From Hiroshima, another true story picture book that moves past the immediate dealing with the bomb and a few decades later.

• Like 1