Menu

What is a good missionary unit study for co-op use? NT

charlotteb

I could imagine using something like Missionary Stories with the Millers and jumping off into the various countries. You could do something like...

Start with a story (see what time period and country) (Let's use Gladys Alyward for example)

What were the challenges the missionary had to face--use those kind of questions to recap the story

Pull in map work to show the country, and if the missionary traveled

Add in cultural elements, such as food and clothing--maybe cook a dish from the country

Use Kingfisher and maybe another resource or two to research the time (like a context page)

Research any practices that may have hindered the missionary (some were cannibals, some countries were closed, etc)

Look at the current country policies ( Voice of the Martyrs is a great resource)

Add in some verses to memorize about missions--and if the missionary had a favorite, memorize that one, too.

I'd also pick a current missionary and do things throughout the entire time you will be holding the class--write support letters, find out if they need anything and try to send it, hold a fundraiser maybe, commit to praying at the beginning of each class for the missionary, etc.

Finally, I'd try to develop missionary hearts in the children. What can they do to share the Gospel? I'd stress deeds at this point over words, but that's just me. Being kind, doing works of service, holding one's temper, obeying Mom and Dad, having a devotion time (with help)-- actions even the littlest kids can take--and they help one's faith formation.

Oh dear. I just realized you are probably only asking for a curriculum that is open and go--I'm sorry!

MFW Exploring Countries & Cultures would be outstanding. It's designed to be used with multiple ages in a family/group setting. What ages will be involved? There are additional suggestions for the junior high age group, but you wouldn't *have* to have them, particularly since a co-op setting is usually an extra to what the kids are doing at home.

If you look down this page, you can see that there are some fun books that can be used with younger kids, too. http://www.mfwbooks.com/ecc.htm

Edited by Donna A.

MFW Exploring Countries & Cultures would be outstanding.

Our co-op a couple of years ago did part of this. They read the YWAM biography of Nate Saint, had a little book club discussion about it with some mom guidance such as the ECC guide gives, did some of the activities, and ended by watching the video.

We also had a missionary family visit one week. Excellent. They brought pictures, taught a faith-sharing song, had their kids answer our kids questions, and did some activities.

... we used a missionary lapbook from hands of a child - or just part of it. Big hit. I used it with a 2nd grader and 5th grader (the older one got more out of it, though).

I have some of the YWAM missionary biographies. Very good. They also have the unit study guides to go with. They are usually pretty inexpensive.

HTH,

Patty

Teaching with God's Heart for the World by Ann Dunagan.

I'm not sure where you purchase this but you should be able to find it used. A wonderful wonderful missions minded study!

Some fantastic FREE downloads here:

http://www.harvestreport.net/resources.htm

The first one has short bios with pictures! What a great resource and at a great price:o)