Menu

Ideas for learning math facts for a girl that HATES flash cards?

nukeswife

Hi all,

My dd is doing saxon 1 and although we love the program and she's doing well, She hates the flashcards. She doesn't mind the "Fact practice" but hates reviewing the flashcards which she still needs. She just kind of glazes over when I pull them out.

I would love to know if you've found anything else that works and your kids like. Oh, and not Quartermile Math, we tried that and she said it was "boring"

Thanks in advance.

You can get a set of Dominoes that goes up to twelve (12 dots/12 dots). Play Dominoes -- in order to put the Domino down, you have to add the numbers, or subtract the lesser number from the greater. This could get you through some of it. HTH.

http://www.domino-games.com/domino-rules/double-twelve.html

There are also triangle flash cards:

http://www.donnayoung.org/math/tricards.htm

Edited by Sahamamama

I hate flash cards for math or anything. I always loose them. I would play a game of 21 (Blackjack). That helped my younger son to learn his basic math facts and dominoes. Blackjack is where they have to get to 21 without going over. He learns that if he has 19 and his brother has 17, he has won the game. So, he is comparing which is greater. He also learned how to add. We also play monopoly and we make my younger son the banker. So, he has to do the adding and subtracting of the money. We always give him more than the price of the property so, he has to give change.

And best of all, scrabble!!! My son has to carry and borrow in Scrabble. Not only is he learning how to spell in scrabble, but he is also learning how to do basic math facts.

Math is a subject that I think you have to do some manipulatives in the beginning in order to solidify the information. I was shocked the other day. My younger son who I am struggling with math came to me and said his entire times table up to 5 times. I was soooo astonished. He is cranking out his multiplication facts. How is this possible when carrying and borrowing were so difficult to master? So, I vote for playing games. No matter what kind of a learner you have, manipulatives helps in math.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:seeya:

We use the card games from RightStart (there is a card game set you can buy separate from the curriculum).

:iagree: I highly recommend the RS Math Card Games set as a supplement no matter what curriculum you're using. It's a bit on the pricey side but it can be used for the entire elementary years so over time you'll really get your money's worth.

Thank you everyone.

After looking things over I decided to get the Rightstart Math games, since I also have an older son that could use some reinforcement in addition and subtraction and he's just starting multiplication.

While looking at their website I also looked over their math curriculum and it looked so good. My dd has been using Saxon and though it works she doesn't LOVE it like my older ds. My dh then looked over my shoulder and after checking things out for level B he said "Hey why don't you order that for Annika" We will need something to fill in anyway since we did half of Saxon 1 last year for part of her K year, so I went ahead and ordered Level B for her to use. She also has trouble with her "teen" numbers, mixing up 16 and 19 and can't seem to ever remember that it's "teen" not "ty" on the end, so she'll count "ten, eleven, twelve, thirty, fourty" etc, but really means teen. I figure we'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I have plenty in the budget for next year too so if it works we'll go ahead and order level C. If it doesn't work, I already have Saxon 2 from when my ds used it a couple years ago.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Sounds like my 9 year old, only I made her do them far, far too long.

As soon as I stopped pressing the issue she learned them.

We too used Saxon.

I would have her turn over her worksheet for the day and write out the facts that still needed to be worked on. She would then circle the ones she had a hard time with and sometimes would write them out again.

Someone else mentioned the fact practice sheets and we used this method too. Again, she would circle the ones she had a problem with and write those out again. For her, writing them kept her in tuned enough to finally begin remembering them...flash cards made her glazy; like you mentioned.

She now knows all her addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts very well!!!! It only happened this year when I got rid of the flashcards...funny how things happen.

emerald