Menu

Online CLEP prep classes?

So glad we're back!   I  have questions! ;)

So, I'm fairly sure there's an online place with free(?) CLEP test practice, and then they even give you a voucher to get the price of the test itself back once you've completed - or something like that?

I need info - dd has actually agreed to do it!  

And... has anyone's kid actually taken one of these and then successfully taken the CLEP?

Are you thinking of this site?  https://modernstates.org/   I thought this was the review site that gave vouchers, but maybe not....   

Another site that helps with CLEP test prep is https://study.com/, but there's a fee after the initial free trial.  You can enroll at a significant discount through https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/; however, a nonrefundable renewal fee is charged to your credit card automatically at the extremely expensive normal rate UNLESS you specifically cancel your account or renew via the co-op before your automatic renewal date.  Read the sign-up instructions very carefully!  Also, there are two enrollment options - one is the cheaper version (premium) where you sign up locally to take a CLEP after, and the other is much more expensive (college accelerator) and involves dual credit, but you have to work it out with the college to be sure it will be accepted.

Thank you, that looks like it!

It would be nice if I got a voucher for the test, but that's not a requirement.  I just need prep that's specifically aligned with the test (and having it free is very nice).  I'd also love more practice tests and questions, but I guess it is what it is...

We paid and used Instacert for several that we couldn’t find good materials for.  It worked really well.  I think Speedyprep is the one with the refunds.  We subscribed and were able to use it for more than one.

If you library has REA guides they were the best free resource.  

What exam is she working on?  We did several ......

• Like 2

I have the REA guide but the kid has to actually have the perseverance to work through it.  She's currently working on Calculus with a tutor, but she's not doing any practice problems - he assigns them, she doesn't do them :( .  Now she says she just wants to do the prep class; I'm trying to convince her she should at least get through the material with the tutor before doing test prep - I think of those as being review once you've already gone through the material in a real course - NOT a full course! Am I wrong?

If she really wants to quit the tutor, I was thinking maybe I could sign her up for the Ohio State Calc 1 MOOC that was at Coursera, but I just checked it, and it's gone!!!  Anyone have a rec of another good MOOC or course that teaches Calc1 (rather than just review for test?)

4 minutes ago, sewpeaceful said:

Khan Academy is free and teaches Calc 1.  Everything else I know of has fees of some form.  

How does it teach?  Just click on a video if you need it, or something more?  

One thing I liked about the Ohio State Mooc was it had a weekly quiz (graded), as well as daily 'homework' that was not.  Where did it go???

No idea how they do it with upper level math but you can create a khan Academy account for free and play around.  For younger grades it showed a video and had practice problems.  The student had to get 5 correct in a row before they could proceed to the next lesson if I recall correctly.  It might be worth creating an account and having your daughter give it a whirl and see what you both think.  If nothing else, it is one more curriculum option out of the way?  :)

1 minute ago, sewpeaceful said:

No idea how they do it with upper level math but you can create a khan Academy account for free and play around.  For younger grades it showed a video and had practice problems.  The student had to get 5 correct in a row before they could proceed to the next lesson if I recall correctly.  It might be worth creating an account and having your daughter give it a whirl and see what you both think.  If nothing else, it is one more curriculum option out of the way?  :)

I can ask her, but she's tried Khan Academy in the past and didn't like it at all.  If it's just the same-old video with practice, I doubt she'll want to do it.

Oh!  And depending on your budget, this might work for you too?  https://diveintomath.com/clep-ap-prep/

At the end of the day, the real question is why she isn't doing her work for the tutor.  Does she not like the tutor?  Does she not understand the material?  Too many other things on her plate?  Changing curriculums or programs may or may not improve her situation....  I'm sorry if I have stepped on your toes saying this... please know my heart is to genuinely help not upset.  Peace.

Modern States was mentioned.  So far we've done well with them.  My middle dd just passed biology one today.   She did a high school course 4 years ago (apologia). Did the brush up course.  For practice tests, our library has the Peterson's clep tests, and we got the REA biology clep book on used market.   She's also done same thing with modernstates with sociology, and US history 1 and 2.  yes, we got some vouchers through them. and yes, they sent checks for test center fee.  Something was weird with biology voucher and never got it and ran out of time and needed to register.  oh well.  still. good price.   Check your library for the GALE Testing and Education Reference Center.  At our library, those are the Peterson's CLEP practices. (I had to pay out of city fee for that library as my city's library, just a mile or so away across city lines did not have access.  well worth that nominal fee)

But yep, with the college she'll transfer to, she has 13 credits with those exams.

(edit to update: This week (month after original reply) she took and passed Pre Calc CLEP.  used modern states again, and REA and Peterson's practice.   and by the way?  Modern States offered to pay the biology fee after we passed and explained the tech issue we had with the voucher upload request.  awesome!   The pre Calc course and topics and problems matched up well with test content. )

21 minutes ago, cbollin said:

Modern States was mentioned.  So far we've done well with them.  My middle dd just passed biology one today.   She did a high school course 4 years ago (apologia). Did the brush up course.  For practice tests, our library has the Peterson's clep tests, and we got the REA biology clep book on used market.   She's also done same thing with modernstates with sociology, and US history 1 and 2. 

Did she find that the info in the Modern States bio and sociology courses matched the CLEP tests pretty closely? DS is studying for both of those at the moment, using InstantCert plus the REA books.

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Did she find that the info in the Modern States bio and sociology courses matched the CLEP tests pretty closely? DS is studying for both of those at the moment, using InstantCert plus the REA books.

Biology yes. 

Sociology: I  mentioned this on another thread, but not this one yet.  sorry.  She did the older course so I can't really compare apples and orange on it.  She had never taken sociology before and did pass.  She practiced with petersons and rea for that.  She's average student.

• Thanks 1