Menu

Extreme Morning Sickness linked to two genes

PrincessMommy

This is contrary to my personal experience of HG during my twin pregnancy but regular ole morning sickness during my other singleton pregnancies. I think there must be more to it than "just" genes.

You're morning sickness was peculiar to having twins (something I've heard can be common with twins), but what the scientist was studying was women who suffered with HG during "normal" pregnancies and compared them with people who don't suffer.  

• Like 2

I saw this earlier. I'm excited because I should have my DNA results back from GenesForGood any day now and I'll be able to check for this gene. 

I also agree there are probably other causes as well. I know personally there was doubt if it was actual HG or HG like symptoms caused by an underlying thyroid issue. 

This is interesting.  I have pretty bad morning sickness (not HG) and so does my sister.  But my mom had none.

Can anyone find the specific gene SNPs in question?  The raw data on 23andMe shows there are more than 40 SNPs between the two genes, at least that they test for.

This is interesting.  I have pretty bad morning sickness (not HG) and so does my sister.  But my mom had none.

Can anyone find the specific gene SNPs in question?  The raw data on 23andMe shows there are more than 40 SNPs between the two genes, at least that they test for.

the research study I participated in years ago sent out an update one day and said that early evidence was 1) identifying a combo of genes involved and 2) that it might be y chromosome involvement.

Seems like a significant number of responses had mothers with no or normal morning sickness but had fathers who had experienced extreme vomiting including significant weight loss during their partner's pregnancy.  Or had identified paternal aunts with extreme morning sickness and not maternal aunts.

Will be interesting to see if the second part works out.  My father was horribly sick with every pregnancy and his sisters were as well ( and he had 4 sisters and all of them had morning sickness from start to finish).  Two of his brothers would get sick as well but not to the degree he did.   Don't know if his mom or dad would get sick or not.   I'm not up on genetics and hope that if it is Y carried that means it ends with me and my daughter won't have it???? The boys wouldn't have the gene right if it is on the  Y???

• Like 1

the research study I participated in years ago sent out an update one day and said that early evidence was 1) identifying a combo of genes involved and 2) that it might be y chromosome involvement.

Seems like a significant number of responses had mothers with no or normal morning sickness but had fathers who had experienced extreme vomiting including significant weight loss during their partner's pregnancy.  Or had identified paternal aunts with extreme morning sickness and not maternal aunts.

Will be interesting to see if the second part works out.  My father was horribly sick with every pregnancy and his sisters were as well ( and he had 4 sisters and all of them had morning sickness from start to finish).  Two of his brothers would get sick as well but not to the degree he did.   Don't know if his mom or dad would get sick or not.   I'm not up on genetics and hope that if it is Y carried that means it ends with me and my daughter won't have it???? The boys wouldn't have the gene right if it is on the  Y???

That is interesting.  I wish i knew more of my paternal family history on this subject.  My dad had no sisters, and my grandfather had 2.  Its not something we ever talked about.

FWIW, I'm the only one in my immediate family who had this... and my oldest daughter didn't have it in any of her pregnancies.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, Supertechmom said:

Something that is passed down through the male and affects them as well as some female relatives is likely X linked. It wouldn't affect women in the family at all if it was Y-linked.

2 hours ago, Ravin said:

Something that is passed down through the male and affects them as well as some female relatives is likely X linked. It wouldn't affect women in the family at all if it was Y-linked.

Well that's what I thought but the researcher kept stating y link and I was like okay not sure how that gets passed to females but I don't have the genetics degree.  But they felt it was showing passage from father to daughter and not mother to daughter. So my daughter should not have it but my brother's daughter did.  ???