Menu

Can You Recommend a book to help me with the "Birds and the Bees" talk"?

I already own a few, but it's not helping us with the day to day conversations that I'd like to have. We're talking 5th-6th grade boys here.Ideally I'd like to see a book that gives conversation starters, discussion questions and some kind of framework for us. I can't send my husband down there to just talk about sex-it will go nowhere. He needs a subject, a way to bring it up, and some guidance...as do I. There's got to be something good out there. What is it? Not sure that it matters, but we're Catholic.

Have you seen the UU Church's series? 'Our Whole Lives,' I think it is called.

(I have a girl, not a boy, but I suppose if I had a boy he'd get the same reading list dumped on him, including the books about periods and boobs, lol.)

We use this series: https://www.amazon.com/Sex-New-You-12-14-Learning/dp/0758649576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520084916&sr=8-1&keywords=sex+%26+the+new+you

That particular book is for 12-14yo boys but there are different levels, starting from preschool all the way through late teens. One set for boys and one for girls. We own both full sets (since we have one of each) and I've found them to be very easy to use so far.

Seconding It's Perfectly Normal.

If you're liberal minded, sex positive and you want to hand it off, most UU churches allow outside kids to take OWL for a small fee and most UU churches run some year or other of it most years - as in, they may alternate which grades they offer it for, so it just depends.

• Like 2

I know about, but have never read, Beyond the Birds & the Bees by the Popcaks. I've heard it talked about on Catholic radio, and I have a few friends who read everything by this couple. It's written to the parents. In trying to remember the exact name, I just looked on Amazon.  Read the reviews, especially the 3 star reviews, to see if it's a good fit for your parenting ideology. 

I used the book mentioned above by Laura Corin and Rosie. It's an entire series, with books aimed at different age groups. It is written to the kids. We read it together, every book beginning with the first one, which I think is 5 years old? As we aged into older books, there were topics covered in a way contrary to Church teaching (ma$turb@tion comes to mind, I can't remember if there were more ....) but it was a good conversation starter and way to introduce Church teaching in a gentle way. We hang with some hardcore Catholics who are all fire and brimstone, and with some super lax Catholics who openly oppose Church teaching, but we're somewhere in between. These books would have been taboo for the former and perfectly acceptable as-is for the latter. For me, we read the book in its entirety and added Church teaching where appropriate - to include the reminder that anytime one of the kids wanted to go to Confession outside of our normal routine, we'd take them with no questions asked, and also a refresher on washing sheets on hot and leave time for them to air-dry. Covering all bases! LOL

Ascension Press has a Theology of the Body course for middle school students that might be good to include in a health unit. 

• Like 1

I already own a few, but it's not helping us with the day to day conversations that I'd like to have. We're talking 5th-6th grade boys here.Ideally I'd like to see a book that gives conversation starters, discussion questions and some kind of framework for us. I can't send my husband down there to just talk about sex-it will go nowhere. He needs a subject, a way to bring it up, and some guidance...as do I. There's got to be something good out there. What is it? Not sure that it matters, but we're Catholic.

We haven't started it yet (waiting for summer), but The Talk came highly recommended from a Christian (Protestant, but raised Catholic) friend whose husband has used it with her son.  

Two other companion volumes by the same author are here and here.   

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings