Menu

Advice about dental fillings...

6packofun

So we took our 18yo dd to the dentist because she's been having pain on one side and I can SEE a cavity on the other side.  (molars)  She basically has cavities in most of her molars, one tooth is really bad and may need to be pulled, and she needs a better x-ray on the bad side because her wisdom tooth might be coming in sideways or there is some other issue causing so much pain.  *sigh*

We only recently got dental insurance so our dentist visits have, well, lapsed.  She is the first of our kids to have a cavity, though (that we know of), and I don't have any cavities at 46.  I have NO clue about whether resin is better than whatever other substance they use and the dentist also seemed to think we could fill some now, some later.  That may be to offset the costs since resin is only covered 50% by our insurance whereas traditional fillings are 90%.  I actually want what is best if her teeth are this bad, so cost is only a secondary issue, which is nice to be able to say.  lol

So is resin now preferred?  Also, when it comes to oral surgery, is that usually covered under dental or medical?  (This is probably obvious but it's been 2 decades since dh and I had our wisdom teeth out and none of our kids have had issues with them yet.)

Oh, and what do they do to fill in the space where a tooth is pulled?  She is freaking out and I really don't know what to tell her.

What is the alternative material?  Nobody offered me a choice. I thought they were all using resin.

I have two missing teeth on top that can't be seen so I left them.  Hasn't been an issue.  You can get something like implants, but that's quite expensive and I probably wouldn't bother unless it was in a spot that can be seen.  Other options are things like bridges (a fake tooth that clamps onto the other teeth or is removeable).  I had one once and I found it to be extremely uncomfortable.

Amalgam fillings last longer than resin, but many dentists don’t use it anymore.

Amalgam which are the silver ones contain mercury which is why they aren't used as much now. Our crappy insurance will cover those fillings 100% but I have to pay the difference for the other kind. I think it runs around $20 for the dentist I take the kids to.

• Like 1

You pay $20 for fillings?  Or do you mean it's a $20 difference?

The difference is only $20. I don't even look at what the insurance pays. If I ever get different insurance I won't go to this dentist anymore. They're pretty much the only dentist in my area that takes our crappy insurance. Guess I should be glad that we have dental insurance at all.

• Like 1

As far as just leaving a space where a tooth is pulled - I think more often they are recommending against that now as it can affect the bite and have consequences in the longer term.  But implants are expensive so many people don't bother.  I think it might be worth asking about though.

Could be me.  Some people say root canals aren't bad.  It was probably my least favorite experience of all time. 

I had a root canal while we lived in NZ - it cost a total of $600NZD (which was at the time like $400 USD), no insurance, and it was so relaxing that I fell asleep.  No drugs other than the local anaesthetic.

I have a very low pain tolerance, but there was no pain and the dentist was so nice and she smelled good and her voice was soothing and I was tired.

• Like 1

If this is a new to you dentist and he's saying SO much dental work, you really might want to get a 2nd opinion. Would just be wise. 

And no way would I let anyone put in amalgams. The resin alternatives are WAY safer and last quite well. Amalgams are unnecessarily toxic and out of date. I'm shocked they're still doing it.

But yeah, get a 2nd opinion on all those fillings. Our dentist (of 15+ years, trusted) brought in a junior, newbie, and this guy was a little trigger happy with his drill. Senior had to reign him in. It happens.

• Like 6

As far as just leaving a space where a tooth is pulled - I think more often they are recommending against that now as it can affect the bite and have consequences in the longer term.  But implants are expensive so many people don't bother.  I think it might be worth asking about though.

This actually worked out quite well for me because I have crowding, but you are right.  I was told that one of the spaces had closed so much that I couldn't even consider getting a partial to cover it if I wanted to.  I absolutely didn't want a partial, but I'm going to assume that even getting an implant without some rearrangement is not possible.

It's in a spot I don't care about at all though.

If this is a new to you dentist and he's saying SO much dental work, you really might want to get a 2nd opinion. Would just be wise. 

And no way would I let anyone put in amalgams. The resin alternatives are WAY safer and last quite well. Amalgams are unnecessarily toxic and out of date. I'm shocked they're still doing it.

But yeah, get a 2nd opinion on all those fillings. Our dentist (of 15+ years, trusted) brought in a junior, newbie, and this guy was a little trigger happy with his drill. Senior had to reign him in. It happens.

Yes I absolutely agree!  About 10 years ago my husband was told by a dentist he needed nearly every tooth in his face filled.  So he got a second opinion and the doctor didn't mention him needing any fillings at all.  So he stuck with that second dentist.  And in all that time he has had ONE filling.  One!  It's nuts, but some dentists seem to be very quacky. 

• Like 4