Menu

What do you do on "Family Night?"

Kris

We just had our first "Family Night" tonight and I loved it. Nothing spectacular -- pizza and a movie. But it occurred to me lately that though my son and I are together all. the. time. we rarely *do* anything together that couldn't be classified as "work" or "school." The "Family Night" concept rattled around in my head for awhile, but like The Kid said last week when I announced Monday would be The Day -- "How can we have family night if Dad isn't here?"

Well -- true enough. But he can do it with us when he *is* here!

So -- just wondering what y'all do on "Family Night."

Board games and card games are a favorite around here... or sometimes just popcorn and a movie. We all watched Bride and Prejudice together a couple weeks ago. :)

And every so often DS and I (not usually DH) will do some fun baking together -- the Christmas cookies, or something.

Board games and card games are a favorite around here... or sometimes just popcorn and a movie. We all watched Bride and Prejudice together a couple weeks ago. :)

And every so often DS and I (not usually DH) will do some fun baking together -- the Christmas cookies, or something.

This is pretty much what we do too. Either pizza and a movie, or board games. When they were little we would have a picnic w/ some sort of finger food for dinner, spread a blanket on the floor, and watch a movie while we ate. Lately one of my dd's discovered the card board boxes w/ all the photos of when they were little, and she likes us to go through them together!

Family games, Mad Libs, movies, hanging out in the kitchen cooking, sometimes just hanging out talking. I think that we spend more time together than most families. I think that we might spend more time with some our neighbors kids than their families do. This seems to be hang out central which is really kind of strange because we are the weird homeschooling family. I came downstairs this evening to find one of the neighbor's kids in my living room alone watching a movie and eating popcorn. One of my teens saw her playing alone outside and invited her inside. All the other kids were already upstairs playing and she didn't know it.

I do live in a great neighborhood though. All the neighbors have each others phone numbers and we all keep tabs on the kids when they are playing outside. We bake each other food and hand all of our kids clothes down to the next kids in size. The neighbor next door just picked fresh flowers and gave them to my teen today. So she got to practice the art of flower arranging. I have no idea how I got off on this track. :tongue_smilie:

For us, Family Night is Friday so that the kids can stay up a little later than usual (they go to bed at 7 for the littles and 7:30 for the olders). We either do movie and a popcorn or some sort of game (board game [or in my case bored game-honestly, how challenging can Candy Land be?], card games, dominoes, chess lessons). I make pizza for supper and enough for leftovers on Saturday. We don't do Family Night every Friday as our nerves can't handle trying to direct a game with four small kids, but when it does go smoothly, it sure is a lot of fun.

We do a lot of what others said, like board games, movie night, baking projects (this is a great time for kitchen stuff - carving pumpkins, apple turkeys, gingerbread cookie decorating), we also sometimes go somewhere, like sledding, ice skating, swimming, etc. It's a very big deal around here!