Menu

Latin for 7th and 8th grade

Entropymama

For ds14 and dd12 - both went through Prima Latina in early elementary, then got about halfway through Getting Started with Latin in late elementary before going to a Classical school for a year (so they got daily Latin there). 

I've just brought them back home (from a regular school, so no Latin this year) and am trying to figure out where to put them. I'd thought I'd use Latin Alive, but it's kind of pricey. Is it worth it? Is there anything else good for middle schoolers with a decent amount of prep? It's not going to be a main subject for us, so I'd like to do 20-30 minutes three times per week. 

Do you use this on its own or with Lingua Latina?

On its own. There are worksheets to print out to go along with it.

It's not for everyone but my kids went from dreading Latin to loving it. It's so fun to see them now reading in latin and translating sentences fairly easily. Even my 7 year old. (though the author wouldn't suggest using it for that age. She just sits in but is learning so much)

Edited by 3girls4me
  • Like 1

You could do First and Second Form in one year at that age.  Some classical schools do that with new students coming in at those levels.  Honestly, I think they are much easier to understand than Henle!  The layout is clearer and more organized, IMO.  Or just do a Form a year and ease into it.  First and Second are much simpler than Third, though, when the work really steps up a few notches.

We are using Latin Alive and like it, but I think what you choose can depend on your goals. 

Two years of Latin as foundation for other language study and vocab enhancement? I'd go with Visual Latin. Dwane is funny! 

Or intending to go all the way to upper levels and AP? Lots of good choices. 

How much are you involved and are you comfortable teaching Latin? 

Latin Alive moves slower, covering the basic grammar in three years instead of two. It then has a year of readings, ancient through medieval, as the last year. It includes the history and culture elements that are included on the National Latin Exam. My Dd likes the DVD lessons. 

Henle is rigorous and thorough, but dull and doesn't match up well with either the NLE or the AP. 

I have a friend who loves, loves Latin for the New Millenium. Beautiful book. 

• Like 1