Menu

History For 5th-8th Grade

Stacey

Some suggestions:

SOTW again (it's being done by some on this board :))

History Odyssey

Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon

My plan for second history rotation: Ancients: The Story of the Greeks and The Story of the Romans by H. A. Geurber and Landmark Book on Egypt fleshed out with books such as The Children's Homer and Plutarch's Lives and Henty books

Middle Ages: The Story of the Middle Ages ed. by Christine Miller (Contains H A Guerber's The Story of Old France and The Story of the English, some of Charlotte Yonge's writings, and is rounded out by Miller's own additions and more books to round it off OR History Odyssey Level 2.

Kids need to go to bed -- if you would like more ideas, PM me! :)

We used our local library for books on specific time periods, cultures, people, historical events, etc. Below are some we especially enjoyed in the logic stage years. We also read a lot of historical fiction. BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

general ancient-to-modern resources:

- Illustrated History of the World (Kingfisher)

- World History Encyclopedia (Dempsey Parr)

- Atlas of World History (by John Haywood)

specific time periods and/or cultures:

- Kingfisher Book of the Ancient World from Ice Age to the Fall of Rome (ancients)

- What Life Was Like series (Time-Life) (ancient Egypt, ancient China, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, Native American, etc.)

- Science of the Past series (ancient India, ancient Egypt, ancient China, ancient Mesopotamia, etc.)

- Metropolis series (Franklin Watts publishers) (ancient African town, Viking town, etc.)

- The Illustrated History Encyclopedia series (Great Civilzations of the East, Ancient Americas, Civilizations, Exploration & Conquest, etc.)

- The Usborne Internet-Linked Medieval World (middle ages)

- Rats, Bulls & Flying Machines: A History of the Renaissance & Reformation (Deborah M. Prum) (renaissance/reformation)

- Complete Book of U.S. History (School Specialty Publishing) (U.S.A.)

- History of U.S. (by Joy Hakim) (U.S.A.)

- Usborne History of The Twentieth Century (20th century world)

Edited by Lori D.
added info

We are using TOG (now on year 2) after using 4 years of SOTW. I have found it to be a wonderful continuation of what we learned in SOTW. SOTW gave us the love us history and a great foundation, and TOG has built upon that, adding in a deeper Christian worldview that I felt we were ready for. It has been a nice transition for us, and I love that they schedule SOTW as alternative readings because we review the chapters from SOTW that go with our current studies.

We don't do crafts and activities anymore. (Ok, never did but that's another story)

It has been a real blessing to us. As my dd gets older, I add in more age appropriate books, Teaching Company lectures, Annenberg Media lectures, films and documentaries.

The retention we get is excellent, her time line is a wonderful review and work of art. We have used a notebook time line since year one so as of now it is halfway through the Renaissance.

The mapwork is also quite good, though we don't always do it.

We're doing American history this year (5th) using Joy Hakim's History of US series and enjoying it very much. For 6th and 7th, I plan to use TRISMS History Makers. I'd always planned to repeat the four-year cycle after SOTW, but this seems like it will be a good fit for us and will match up well with my goals for my dc. I haven't thought ahead to 8th, but if we're happy with TRISMS, we'll probably stay with that.

Best,

SBP

We use Kingfisher and other history encyclopedias to introduce subjects; my son reads SOTW himself and outlines from it; and we continue to use other living books from home and library. He writes reports on history topics now and keeps a timeline, as well as doing the tests available from SOTW as part of beefing up the program for middle schoolers.

SOTW again; my 5th grader just does more reading and in-depth work than her sister (3rd grade).

It's a great jumping off point, imo. There are so many fabulous books that students this age can enjoy, so it's never a problem finding the extras, and SOTW gives one that framework to build on.