Menu

Job situation help!!!

MedicMom

You guys know everything.

I went back to social work part time. I love the job. Part time is about 32 hours a week and flexible, so I work it around my kids’ appointments. We don’t have fantastic after school care so I add that into my situation as well.

They offered me full time today. I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot later on, and not be considered for full time again, but right now it just won’t work for us.

Do I be really honest and say I can’t due to childcare issues, or do I just say no and leave it at that? I would be interested later on, but until May I won’t have consistent after school care for a variety of reasons.

Depends on your relationship with the people who do the hiring, but I would say exactly what you've said here: I love this job and I would love to be considered for a full time position in the future, but right now I have to work around childcare availability and our children's healthcare appointments, so I cannot.  If you have another full time position that opens after May, please consider me then.

• Like 6

I think I would say, "Thank you, this is great!  I have been hoping to transition to fulltime employment!  I really appreciate your confidence in me!  What did you think of for a start date?  June?  That works for me if it's your schedule, too."  Then see what they say.  Because realistically they might say, No, right away, isn't that great?  in which case you could say, "You know, I really want to give this my full attention, and to do that I'd be best off having a little lead time.  What about May?" 

That way it's more mutual.

Regarding pinning this on child care issues, I don't know that I would do that.  I tend to avoid that kind of thing pretty hard, but then I have always worked in male fields so it's more drop dead crucial to prove that you're serious there.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Definitely don't say no and leave it at that! 

I would try to get them to agree to a May starting date. 

Failing that, I would try like heck to make child care arrangements, including paying too much until the new arrangements start in May. 

Is the baby in daycare? Some daycares would be open to the older kids after school for a limited time, even if that's not part of their usual offering. If the baby is with a relative, can you hire a sitter to be at the same place for after school hours? Can you ask a neighbor if they want the job, particularly as it is for a limited amount of time? 

In all honesty, if full-time was my goal, I'd even roll with "not fantastic" after school care. I'm assuming you mean it's not really up to par on being engaging and interesting for the kids, not that it's actually dangerous or anything. 

• Like 1