Menu

nm

Ann.without.an.e

You need to go back. It could be that the pneumonia hasn't healed, or that it damaged your lungs. It could be that you have a latent case of asthma underlying everything. It could be that you have a new infection. You deserve to be healthy! Going to the doctor when you are suffering is not "running to the doctor", it's taking good care of your body.

• Like 5

You need to go back. It could be that the pneumonia hasn't healed, or that it damaged your lungs. It could be that you have a latent case of asthma underlying everything. It could be that you have a new infection. You deserve to be healthy! Going to the doctor when you are suffering is not "running to the doctor", it's taking good care of your body.

Yup  - DH ended up at the Dr's 3 times this winter so far because of pneumonia and lung issues. Definitely not "running to the Dr." to take care of yourself. I was given prednisone and a z pak for pneumonia back in November and the prednisone helped immediately, so sounds like there's something new going on. I still have a little wheeze when I breathe out, but aside from that I'm mostly (finally) healed. Pneumonia takes forever, I swear! Take care of yourself.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Yup  - DH ended up at the Dr's 3 times this winter so far because of pneumonia and lung issues. Definitely not "running to the Dr." to take care of yourself. I was given prednisone and a z pak for pneumonia back in November and the prednisone helped immediately, so sounds like there's something new going on. I still have a little wheeze when I breathe out, but aside from that I'm mostly (finally) healed. Pneumonia takes forever, I swear! Take care of yourself.  :grouphug:

Thanks.

How soon did the prednisone start working?  I just took the third dose. 

Wait... did you take the antibiotic and not the prednisone?  And now you're doing just the prednisone?  When the doctor prescribes two things, he wants you to take both things.  They complement each other.  In my unskilled, but dealt with many times knowledge foundation, the prednisone does something to enhance the antibiotic and them together are what helps and conquers the lung thing.

Don't do the prednisone by itself, three months later.  Steroids are not things you want to mess around with unless you are doing exactly what the doctor says.

Please go back to the doctor, and make sure you mention what you've been taking and when.  They need to know especially about steroids (the prednisone).  It's kind of a big deal.

• Like 6

Wait... did you take the antibiotic and not the prednisone?  And now you're doing just the prednisone?  When the doctor prescribes two things, he wants you to take both things.  They complement each other.  In my unskilled, but dealt with many times knowledge foundation, the prednisone does something to enhance the antibiotic and them together are what helps and conquers the lung thing.

Don't do the prednisone by itself, three months later.  Steroids are not things you want to mess around with unless you are doing exactly what the doctor says.

Please go back to the doctor, and make sure you mention what you've been taking and when.  They need to know especially about steroids (the prednisone).  It's kind of a big deal.

Yes, I didn't originally take it because I don't like taking meds.  I decided to take it because a friend said it would decrease the inflammation and I need it.  I have no idea.

I would find a good pulmonologist.  I had two doctors (internal medicine and pulmonologist) misdiagnose me with asthma, and prescribe prednisone, when I actually had mycoplasma (walking) pneumonia. It does't show up on x-rays.  Luckily the third doctor caught it.  It took two back to back courses of Zithromycin to clear it, and then I found out through further testing that I had also developed allergies and I started hyposensitization for that.   I wouldn't have done well just sticking to the first two doctors.  The pred didn't help me either.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I would find a good pulmonologist.  I had two doctors (internal medicine and pulmonologist) misdiagnose me with asthma, and prescribe prednisone, when I actually had mycoplasma (walking) pneumonia. It does't show up on x-rays.  Luckily the third doctor caught it.  It took two back to back courses of Zithromycin to clear it, and then I found out through further testing that I had also developed allergies and I started hyposensitization for that.   I wouldn't have done well just sticking to the first two doctors.  The pred didn't help me either.  Good luck!

I just talked to a friend who is NP and she is suggesting to go straight to a pulmonologist as well. I need to look into if I need a referral.  

• Like 1

You should go back now, not later. You should definitely not self-medicate. Also, like another poster mentioned, when the doctor prescribes a certain treatment course, they’re doing so for a reason. Next time instead of not talking half of the prescribed medication, ask the doctor why they’ve prescribed each one and if you feel uncomfortable taking it then explain that. It may be that they can prescribe something different or can exp,ore a different treatment approach or it may be that upon understanding what the purpose of each medication is, you’ll feel more comfortable taking it. Plus, unlike most irl friends and friend on the internet, the doctor has a medical degree, has seen you, and is qualified to diagnose you. ;)

Prescription medication is not evil in and of itself, neither is going to the doctor. Please take good care of yourself and go in to the doctor so that they can help your sort out what is going on. You deserve to be healthy. You’ve got people who love and care for you and would want you to take care of yourself. Go back in. Don’t self medicate and don’t delay. Go in.

• Like 4

A couple of weeks ago I was put on antibiotics and prednisone for what the doctor dubbed broncho pneumonia or something like that.  I initially started the antibiotic, but delayed the steroids for a a day and a half due to my schedule (I didn't want to start them at night, and I was going to be out and about the next day and was worried about feeling off with a high dose of steroids when I was going to be away from home.). Anyhow,  the antibiotics didn't help much -- I think I was primarily viral, but once I started the steroids things improved.  Not immediately -- it still took a few days to notice a change, and even longer for the wheezing to go away.  My steroid dose was 40 mg for 5 days.  I did taper down at the end of that because I had my own steroids on hand, and I didn't want to stop abruptly, although new research indicates that tapering down isn't always necessary.  FWIW, I am generally on a 5 mg maintenance dose of prednisone for arthritis, but the 40 mg dose was a steep increase, obviously. 

• Like 1

Well, none of us likes taking pills, and prednisone tastes awful, but you know better. You really do know you have to take the medicine as prescribed.

On the plus side, the doctor has seen this before and won't judge you when you fess up to not following directions.

• Like 3

Thanks.

How soon did the prednisone start working?  I just took the third dose. 

Within 2 hrs of the first dose. I took it at the same time as the z-pac for pneumonia.

I don't like taking medicine either, but I highly suggest giving your Dr a call to let them know how you're doing. 

• Like 2