Menu

Tried and True gluten free turkey gravy recipes

whitestavern

Potato starch is also great for gravy--use less than you would for corn starch. I would not eat gravy with coconut or almond flour, honestly. (I don't tolerate coconut, but when I did, I liked it only in very specific recipes. Almond flour is okay, but again, only in very specific recipes.)

I didn't know there were directions for making cornstarch gravy, but I usually just add some water to my starch to make it stir-able and then whisk it a little at a time into the simmering broth. When it starts to get thick, then I figure I have enough. I wouldn't overthink it.

P.S. If you use an OVEN BAG to cook your turkey, you will need to be sure you don't put regular flour in it (most directions say to shake flour inside the bag)!!! Corn starch, GF flour, potato starch--those work fine.

Thank you all! I didn't even think about cornstarch, duh! That'll work :)

A spinoff... if you use almond and coconut flour, what do you use it for? Baked goods maybe? I don't usually cook gluten free, but I bought these two to have on hand just in case. Now I'm wondering what I can do with them, lol.

They're both great for paleo diets.  They're both high in fat and calories.  I've stopped using both of them because I'm the type that can feel hungry on a 4,000 calorie high-fat low carb diet, but am often satisfied with less than 1,400 calories of low fat food (as long as I'm eating enough veggies).

Coconut flour expands a great deal - a heaping teaspoon in some egg and cocoa with some sort of sweetener can make a great microwave mug brownie.  Similarly, a tiny amount of coconut flour in egg can be used to bread and fry or bake something. 

If you're not concerned with not using grains and want to fry something, using masa (fine ground corn flour typically used to make corn tortillas) with a bit of salt, pepper, and dried parsley makes much more delicious breading than coconut though, and it's much cheaper.

If you're looking to use them up I'd find an almond flour cookie recipe, bake multiple batches for your guests and send them home with some.  Coconut flour expands so much you're not going to use it up.  Offer it to your guests, to your cross-fit paleo eating friends, or if it's unopened, donate it to your local food pantry.

• Like 1