Menu

Jacobs Algebra Edition (cross posted)

Whenever I see links for Jacobs Algebra it's for the older 1979 edition (based on cover art). Is there any reason I should go for that one instead of a recent (2016) Algebra book by Jacobs? Here's the newer one https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Algebra-Harold-R-Jacobs/dp/0890519854/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0890519854&pd_rd_r=8Q216FFFKCWQFR0XX2N2&pd_rd_w=fxrp5&pd_rd_wg=H7eTY&psc=1&refRID=8Q216FFFKCWQFR0XX2N2

I don need recommendations for a completely different Algebra, just seeing if the 2016 is as good as the 1979. Thanks!

1979 edition for reference.

https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Algebra-Harold-R-Jacobs/dp/0716710471/ref=pd_sim_14_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0716710471&pd_rd_r=8Q216FFFKCWQFR0XX2N2&pd_rd_w=fxrp5&pd_rd_wg=H7eTY&psc=1&refRID=8Q216FFFKCWQFR0XX2N2

I'm pretty sure the 2016 would merely be a reprinting of the 1979.

One would think but I wasn't sure because the 2016 didn't say 2nd edition (or 11th edition or whatever). That, and I always see the older cover art which gave me pause to consider if the older text was the same as the newer (and why not show the current edition if the are truly the same?).

I was curious about this, too, so I looked at the review from Rainbow Resource. 

Copied and pasted:

Master Books assures us that there have been no changes in content even the problems in the exercises have remained the same. If you are familiar with the older text, one thing you will miss is some of the cartoons; however, some were kept in the text to add to the readability and a bit of humor never hurts. Although Master Books is a Christian company, this text doesnt proselytize there is no Christian content.

I have the older edition, and I think you can get a good used copy cheaper than a new Master Books copy. 

• Like 2

copy-pasting my reply on your cross post:

I just took 1 minute (no longer) and looked at the table of contents and first pages of that 2016 edition you linked at Amazon, and, without digging out our old Jacobs to do a side-by-side comparison, it looks identical to our 1979 edition.  :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I want to know why they took out some of the cartoons.  Is it because there was something "wrong" with them (from a religious perspective) or because the copyright holder didn't give them permission or something else?

I realize that the cartoons aren't the most important thing about the book, and I'm grateful that it is still in print at all, but, still, I'm curious.

• 4 weeks later...