Menu

Dilemmas of Food and in Consideration of the Other People Expecting to Eat as Well

Ginevra

No, that is not right.

I would *like* for the family to all find quinoa or riced cauliflower a perfectly acceptable change-out for rice. So far, that doesn’t look likely. I offer. They may try it but don’t want rice to go away as an option, you follow? I don’t force anyone to eat quinoa. I am not forced to eat pork chops.

Ok, then what is the problem, lol? If you aren't forced to eat pork, and you are not forcing them to eat quinoa...I'm so confused. I think I missed a page of responses or something. 

I'd tell DH that you really don't like pork chops, too heavy, so on those nights could he please make enough of a side for you to eat, and remind him of how son does that on shrimp night. As for those that want rice, DH can make rice on his nights to cook. They can eat quinoa, or not, and just skip the side, on the days you make quinoa. 

• Like 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so why can't you just skip the pork chop the way he skips the shrimp? Is it that there are not sides that meal that you want to eat either but the shrimp hater does like rice and veggies? Or?

There is not enough other variety unless I fix it up myself. When DH made pork the other night, he literally had pork chops on a bed of rice baking in the oven. That’s what he was making. Except I said, “Are you having any vegetables with that?†And he said, “What? What vegetables? I wasn’t planning on it.â€and I said, “I have a bunch of frozen broccoli. Here, I’ll put it in the steamer.â€

Even still, I’m not going to eat JUST broccoli for dinner. So I had some rice and some pork, too.

The shrimp hater will eat the rice and veggies. The mushroom hater will eat the chicken and pasta and pick off mushrooms.

My oldest was a mushroom-hater, too, until she went to college. She discovered it makes a nice variety in salads from the salad bar there. So there’s always hope, I guess. ☺ï¸

• Like 1

Ok, then what is the problem, lol? If you aren't forced to eat pork, and you are not forcing them to eat quinoa...I'm so confused. I think I missed a page of responses or something.

I'd tell DH that you really don't like pork chops, too heavy, so on those nights could he please make enough of a side for you to eat, and remind him of how son does that on shrimp night. As for those that want rice, DH can make rice on his nights to cook. They can eat quinoa, or not, and just skip the side, on the days you make quinoa.

Heh. Yeah, what is my problem? I have wondered that my whole life.

I guess I just want ideas of what are good ways to bridge the gap between someone who likes food I consider heavy, and my lighter and more vegetable-y wishes. And I have gotten some good ideas here, so thanks to those people. Thanks!

Quill, I have been following along with interest and am wondering what your ideal solution would look like?

I guess if I totally knew, I wouldn’t have posted. 😉

I think it might look like: I cook something that has a protein, maybe a starch (whether or not I eat it) and vegetables, and everybody likes it. DH cooks something and he might have something I don’t like, but there is also a meal’s-worth of food I do like and good vegetables in there. If I didn’t need to actually make vegetables myself in order for there to be some when DH cooks, that would be even better because it’s nice, when having a night off of cooking, to actually have it truly off all the way. That could be asking too much, though, because DH is not a multi-tasker and he isn’t that good at doing that.

• Like 1

Ok, so why can't you just skip the pork chop the way he skips the shrimp? Is it that there are not sides that meal that you want to eat either but the shrimp hater does like rice and veggies? Or?

Totally off-topic, but I love your new avatar photo, Katie — you look gorgeous!

• Like 2

I guess if I totally knew, I wouldn’t have posted. 😉

I think it might look like: I cook something that has a protein, maybe a starch (whether or not I eat it) and vegetables, and everybody likes it. DH cooks something and he might have something I don’t like, but there is also a meal’s-worth of food I do like and good vegetables in there. If I didn’t need to actually make vegetables myself in order for there to be some when DH cooks, that would be even better because it’s nice, when having a night off of cooking, to actually have it truly off all the way. That could be asking too much, though, because DH is not a multi-tasker and he isn’t that good at doing that.

That sounds ideal lol. In my fantasy world, everyone would like the things I like, and prioritize the things I prioritize. Reality gets in the way lol

• Like 2

I guess if I totally knew, I wouldn’t have posted. [emoji6]

Would it be possible to talk to him about the lack of veggies and then make sure that there are some super-easy, no peeling, no chopping vegetable options for the nights he cooks? Like a salad kit, or steam-in-the-bag veggies, or precut veggies that can be tossed with oil and popped into the oven, for example. Ideally, he would be able to add these on to the cooking he does, but if not, at least it would be minimal cooking work for you to make sure there is a veggie on the table those nights.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would it be possible to talk to him about the lack of veggies and then make sure that there are some super-easy, no peeling, no chopping vegetable options for the nights he cooks? Like a salad kit, or steam-in-the-bag veggies, or precut veggies that can be tossed with oil and popped into the oven, for example. Ideally, he would be able to add these on to the cooking he does, but if not, at least it would be minimal cooking work for you to make sure there is a veggie on the table those nights.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, that works. That’s basically what happened the other night. I had broccoli in the freezer. It isn’t hard to do, of course. Just not something he was thinking about.

Yeah, Quill, more practice with his balls...

:leaving:

Also works for getting the patio pressure-washed, shower door fixed...versatile strategy, that.

• Like 5

Quill, our family culture around meals is very similar to yours:  I make a meal, the family eats it. I never had a child or family member make something different to eat--absolutely never crossed anybody's mind.  So I hear you on that.

I'm also the main cook with years of experience in our family.  And I've come to realize that all that experience makes it much easier FOR ME (vs. other family member) to pull off placing a meal on the table consisting of main dish as well as a variety of sides.

This point (of the level of skill/experienced needed to do what I regularly do) has been driven home repeatedly when others have offered to do what I do and can't do it.  For example, we regularly have 8-10 people over for a festive Sunday Lunch after church.  One year, I was gone, so our adult friends decided to keep up the tradition--and really struggled because while they cooked for themselves,cooking for a larger group, wanting to make several dishes (a main, a starch, a salad, and a veggie), getting down the timing, etc, was WAY more than they were used to handling--and that was with several people all contributing in a joint effort.  Nice side effect:  They appreciate the blessing of our Sunday Lunch tradition all the more!  :closedeyes:

My point:  I think your hubby is doing pretty good to get one main and one side on the table.  

However, I do regularly want extra veggies for me (I like more of my plate to be veggie-centric than anyone else), when I cook, I nearly always cook extra veggies.  I also prep stuff like carrot sticks, red pepper strips for a very quick "crisp" addition to a meal.... Some of my favorite ways of using them later:   

1.  As is--usually put into a small serving bowl and reheated in microwave/

2.  When putting away originally, adding some balsamic-type (or your favorite) dressing for an instant veggie salad.

3.  Added to other meals--eg.  making quesdillas, I'll put way less cheese and add my cooked veggies into mine or mixed into a modest serving of rice, to bulk that up.

4.  Served with breakfast (favorite breakfast:  egg, toast, veggies).

5.  And, lastly, added to family meals: tossed into soup, added to family's salad, etc.  

Rarely do my "Extra Veggies" go to waste....  

Perhaps, with planning aforesight on your part (prepped veggies, cooked veggies from your cooking days), your hubby could easily put them out for you on the days he cooks.

HTH,

• Like 2