Menu

Common App mistakes--talk me down!

cave canem

Yes, definitely explain the reason for the updated materials. Update everything you want to fix in the optional report rather than sending in multiple bits and pieces. (You only get one optional report, so preview it and make sure it's what you want before hitting submit.)

I'm completely new to this, too, so I have no clue, but maybe someone knows.... Is it possible to create a completely new Common App account and use that for the Jan 1 submissions?  Probably not, but that's the first thing I would try.

Hope you can find the easiest workaround for the situation.

• Like 1

No, you cannot create a new common app counselor account unless the student makes a new account that points to a new counselor, and then the other teacher recommenders would have to make a new account and reupload their stuff to point to the new student, too.

No, you cannot create a new common app counselor account unless the student makes a new account that points to a new counselor, and then the other teacher recommenders would have to make a new account and reupload their stuff to point to the new student, too.

Thanks, Janet. I figured it was a long shot.

I'm so sorry.  I am super worried about this too.  This is my first time with the Common App and I am probably overthinking things, but I don't even know how to answer some of the questions.  Did you just accidentally upload the wrong documents?  Can you call the Common App folks and ask them what you should do?  I would assume most admissions offices are closed (though DS is still getting emails over the holiday break, and I see all the admissions offices posting on social media about getting apps in by January 1).  

• Like 1

I would call admissions and ask how they would like you to approach this. How many schools are on your list? If there are too many, I suggest the same as JanetC. Fit it all in the optional report; you should have no problem with file size. If so, change the font or compress the file.

Grantmom, which questions are tripping you up? I wrote a blog post recently about that. Not sure if it will help. Here it is.

• Like 1

Contact common app. This link states that they have ways of possibly helping if you submitted incorrect information, and it has a link to send them a message. 

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/link/portal/33011/33013/Article/3/How-can-I-delete-my-application

Or submit a job ticket here: 

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/TSFolder.asp

Edited to add that they don't state that live chat will be closed January 1, so I'd do all the things plus be on the computer the moment they open, with all correct documents at the ready. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had not thought of trying to open a ticket.  I am trying, but I think the party line is here:

https://recsupport.commonapp.org/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=33014&task=knowledge&questionID=167

The Common Application organization evaluated the issue of counselors and teachers who want to retrieve or edit previously submitted online forms because they addressed their recommendations to specific institutions without realizing it (despite the instructions), or wanting to change answers on the already submitted form. They also evaluated the issue of counselors submitting updated or incorrect documents. Unfortunately, in these cases, the Common Application organization must reiterate the policy that documents cannot be retrieved or edited once submitted. Schools are aware that mistakes happen and students are not penalized.

<

Counselors: The Optional Report may be used at any point in the academic year to submit updated grades and/or transcripts, as well as to correct errors previously submitted on any recommendation form, but it should not be used as a substitute for the Mid Year or Final Report.

Keep in mind that this Optional Report form can only be submitted once during the school season.

When you upload it, are you able to preview it and then submit it, or is there any kind of button that says, click here to confirm, or anything like that?  I am just trying to prepare myself.  It seems like they should at least give you one opportunity to confirm or cancel.  I'm sorry that happened, cave.  :grouphug:   I would try not to worry about typos and things like that, but maybe just use the optional report to submit a replacement of the things that have significant errors, like the wrong GPA.

Good luck.

It is really a fine set up with plenty of opportunities to see what your documents look like before sending.  It is more idiot-proof now than when I used it two years ago, but you know that saying about building a better idiot.  I am sure you will do fine!

When you upload it, are you able to preview it and then submit it, or is there any kind of button that says, click here to confirm, or anything like that?  I am just trying to prepare myself.

• Like 1