Menu

Happy Solstice! Anyone have favorite traditions?

KarenNC

Happy Solstice to all! I'd love to hear your favorite Solstice traditions, if you have any.

It's Winter Solstice for us in the northern hemisphere. We put up two small artificial trees at this time of year--the Solstice tree with white lights, nature/solar-themed ornaments, and topped with a multi-pointed (Moravian) star, and the Christmas tree with multi-colored lights, family ornaments, and topped with a woodsy Santa/Father Christmas. The day starts with a brunch of something solar-ish (this year it was loaded yellow stoneground grits--butter, cheese, eggs, bacon, salt, pepper), followed by opening our gifts. In the afternoon we watch the movie "The Hogfather," then for dinner we have Chinese takeout and watch "The Hebrew Hammer" (this last was adults-only until my daughter was in her mid-teens). At some point around Solstice we'll also ride around town and enjoy all the holiday lights.

• Like 4

When DS was younger, we would play solstice elves and take homemade treats to our neighbors. :)

I've always wanted to have solstice bonfires but it never works out. DH is always crazy busy at work wrapping up end of the year projects, and now with DS in high school he's barely been able to think about the holidays at all. We didn't even get a chance to make a Hanukkah feast (we aren't Jewish but DS loves Hanukkah and especially the food :) ). We don't have ornaments on the tree yet either for that matter.

• Like 1

Solstice is when we put a star on top of our Christmas tree. We spend the whole day with no artificial lights, using candles when necessary. Then after it's dark we do a little ritual of reading a poem and putting the star on the tree and turn on the tree lights (it looks beautiful in the dark). Then we "chase away the darkness" by turning every single light we can find in the entire house, including the fridge and the microwave and the basement light. It's sort of silly but we started it when ds was tiny and it became Family Tradition.

• Like 6

Solstice is when we put a star on top of our Christmas tree. We spend the whole day with no artificial lights, using candles when necessary. Then after it's dark we do a little ritual of reading a poem and putting the star on the tree and turn on the tree lights (it looks beautiful in the dark). Then we "chase away the darkness" by turning every single light we can find in the entire house, including the fridge and the microwave and the basement light. It's sort of silly but we started it when ds was tiny and it became Family Tradition.

Silly maybe, but that sounds like a fun and memorable tradition!

• Like 1

Silly maybe, but that sounds like a fun and memorable tradition!

You know, it is actually.

We're in the candle portion right now. It's still somewhat light outside but it's dark enough in the house that it is difficult to do anything without light. Reading would be impossible without a candle. I was doing some housework but I couldn't see if I was sweeping anything properly. So we've each gravitated toward quiet work. Ds is researching a paper. Dh is doing some desk work. We each have a candle casting a little pool of light, just barely enough. I actually need to go cook dinner now, though, because people are leaving later for an event so we need to eat early. Cooking, in the (almost) dark!

Every year we do this, I realize again how something as simple as electric light has such an incredible effect on our lives. Without it, we have to slow down and adjust our behavior to the rhythm of the day.  It's a good thing to contemplate once a year.

Okay, I said ds was researching a paper. I just looked over and found that he has turned to studying the flame and melting wax of the candle. "In the Bleak Midwinter" just came on the ipod and we are sitting here in the candle light. This is what the solstice is for us.

• Like 4

Not quite tradition, doing this for the first time this year: we will go on a ride to see the lights, but it's a group bicycle ride! Bikes decorated with lights, we'll take a few stops along the way, should be fun.

A friend of mine holds an online solstice celebration a few days earlier, which is lovely.

And solstice is the beginning of my annual retreat: no work (for my job) until New Year.

• Like 3