Menu

Dr. Hive: Shaving tonsils vs cutting them

blondeviolin

My 10yo snores occasionally. Not all of the time. His sleep study showed decreased sleep efficiency. He's seen the ENT twice who said his tonsils aren't huge. She said they are 2 or 2+. She did check his adenoids and said his adenoids are big along with his turbinates. We tried meds (Flonase and Zyrtec) and there was no difference in five weeks. She said she hesitates to cut tonsils all of the way down because the chance of bleeding increases with age. He does not complain of sore throat. (He's also not very self-aware.) It's been a while since he's had strep throat. Her recommendation is grinding down the adenoids and turbinates and maybe reducing the tonsils but not completely removing them.

Should I just push for the full tonsillectomy? The shaving down vs cutting down sounds less invasive...

My dd had her tonsils out at 20.  Yes, we knew the bleeding risk was higher but she didn't start getting issues with tonsils until her later teens-anaphalctic allergies and also getting a lot more sicknesses since she went to college.  She had tonsil stones which were an indicator for tonsillectomy.  Yes, it hurt but she got through it fine and was so much happier without the tonsils (and I guess also adenoids too).  I have never heard of shaving so maybe someone else here can comment on that.

DD had her adenoids removed and tonsils sectioned (partially removed, I think that's what you're talking about).  It fixed her problems, which were fluid in the ears 9 months out of the year with associated hearing issues, snoring, frequent illness.  We were totally satisfied with the surgery and recovery was very easy, relatively speaking.