Menu

I need a read-to-me math program for my dyslexic 2nd grader....any suggestions?

Aura

Title pretty much covers it. I've been using Khan Academy, but my devices (laptop, chromebook, Kindles) just don't give an easy read-to-me option. I really want something that he can do himself, something where he has a bit more independence and isn't so dependent on Mom. So much of his stuff is already dependent on me. Any suggestions?  :bigear:

You know, the game with math is not just learning the material but engaging with it and practicing it enough to apply it.

I personally think that that is hard to accomplish without human interaction at this age unless your student is extremely motivated.

However, it doesn't have to all be done *sitting there*.  For instance, at this age you want to teach skip counting.  That can easily be practiced in the car or while you're doing something else.

• Like 2

Well teaching textbooks is independent where the kiddo watches the on screen instruction and examples.

I might have to look in to Teaching Textbooks, thanks.

You know, the game with math is not just learning the material but engaging with it and practicing it enough to apply it.

I personally think that that is hard to accomplish without human interaction at this age unless your student is extremely motivated.

However, it doesn't have to all be done *sitting there*.  For instance, at this age you want to teach skip counting.  That can easily be practiced in the car or while you're doing something else.

I appreciate the thoughts, and your advice is sound! But I'm not a novice. I've BTDT. Ds7 is the youngest of six. I've homeschooled all of them. Two are in college.

I do lot of involving math in to other things...cooking, cleaning, board games, shopping, etc. I've been looking for teaching moments for so long it's second nature. He gets plenty of that. But he's at an age, and a skill level, where he needs more than that.

He's getting LOTS of human interaction, since (1) he still can't read independently and nearly everything he does involves someone reading to him, and (2) as the youngest, he nearly always has someone available to play with or help him. He needs to start learning a bit of independence, BUT he's still little, and I don't want to overwhelm him, either. We're just at that stage where we need to start working this into his routine.

What we need--based on his needs and what I can realistically provide--is a program where he can work independently, without human interaction, for 10 to 30 minutes (tops) at a time. I like Khan Academy because it can easily be done in small increments. It progresses at his level without seeming too difficult or too babyish, and it's a great way to supplement all the other hands-on learning we're doing. And I *could* continue reading to him, but I'd like for him to spend a little of bit of time working independently.

• Like 1

I highly recommend TT.  My ds who is now 15 is dyslexic.  I used Rod and Staff for years, then when he was in 5th grade we switched to TT.  After just a week he told me he no longer hated math.  It was a big deal.  He actually became a little excited about it.  Instead of dread each day he did his work.  oh, and I sat with him and read the words problems for him with Rod and Staff, so it's not as if he was left alone with it and that's why it was so hard.  With TT he could do a lot himself, but even better was how much happier he was.

I hope you find a good solution!

• Like 1

I am curious about this, too. I have 2 dyslexic sons that don't read, ages 7 and 9. I ordered CLE math for them this year, but it's not independent at all for either of them. So we are doing this very dry, very boring math, without the bonus of any independence. I am about to chuck it and find something new.

One thing that my kids do like and truly is independent is MobyMax. I use it to reinforce math, sort of as homework, if you will. That might work for your needs

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 1

You might look at Math U See, too.  It has video instruction once a week but the worksheets are easy to look at and understand what is needed (there are 1-2 word problems on each one)

I have looked some at Math U See. I will it at it some more. Thanks.

I highly recommend TT.  My ds who is now 15 is dyslexic.  I used Rod and Staff for years, then when he was in 5th grade we switched to TT.  After just a week he told me he no longer hated math.  It was a big deal.  He actually became a little excited about it.  Instead of dread each day he did his work.  oh, and I sat with him and read the words problems for him with Rod and Staff, so it's not as if he was left alone with it and that's why it was so hard.  With TT he could do a lot himself, but even better was how much happier he was.

I hope you find a good solution!

Thanks!

Does "Life of Fred" curriculum fit?

Thanks, but I don't think so. I haven't seen it in person, but it looks like something I'd have to sit and read to him.

I do like Saxon DIVE CDs a lot.  I particularly appreciate the way that they don't duplicate the lesson examples in the text, so the student gets two runs at fully explained practice before starting to do the homework.  However, I don't believe they are available for earlier texts than 54, and I personally don't believe I used them until 76 or 87.  Even when I started using them, I still assessed DD's progress regularly, and helped her organize the material periodically.

• Like 1

I am curious about this, too. I have 2 dyslexic sons that don't read, ages 7 and 9. I ordered CLE math for them this year, but it's not independent at all for either of them. So we are doing this very dry, very boring math, without the bonus of any independence. I am about to chuck it and find something new.

One thing that my kids do like and truly is independent is MobyMax. I use it to reinforce math, sort of as homework, if you will. That might work for your needs

From what I could see of MobyMax, it still requires reading. Has that been your experience? 

If you run out of options, there's always ST math.  There are no words in the program.  You get a license for a year and it's all solving through manipulating a character on a computer screen.

ST looks amazing! :drool5: But at $200 for one kid for one year, I think it's out of our price range. Ds just had a full professional evaluation and the feedback app't is in a few days, so we'll see what comes out of that. It may be worth it.

Math-U-See. All of my kids have used MUS for the vast majority of their math instruction from K to high school. We always watch the lesson video together and then the kid is most often fit to do the week’s work without a lot of help from me. They do have word problems, so YMMV with that part, but MUS has always been the one subject they could complete mostly without my constant interjection.

• Like 1