Menu

I have the Flu - give me your best homeopathic remedies

Yes, I have the flu. I'm in day 3. The body aches are getting better and I didn't sleep all day today (don't ask me what my house looked like this morning after being asleep for 2 days straight). However, my sinuses are not getting better and I wrenched my neck last night sleeping all propped up on pillows. What are your favorite "home remedies" for getting over the flu faster. And, what do you do when you mess up your neck? BTW I can't go to the Dr because we are without health ins this month (job change). So far, I'm downing Vit C and Chicken noodle soup, as well as taking Day Quil. It's starting to upset my stomach though.:ack2:

HELP!

Oscillococcinum is the homeopathic flu remedy, but as with most natural remedies you have to take it in the first 24 hours of getting sick for it really to be effective. I keep it in the cabinet so it's always on hand.

I always take Sambucol (elderberry syrup and echinacea) at the first sign of a cold/flu, but though it works like a charm if I take it then, I have found that it really doesn't do much once I'm already sick.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has anything that works well once you're already sick - especially with the kids, I often miss that window of opportunity.

Maybe arnica for your neck? And heat?

Hope you feel better soon!!

Have you tried Sprite? That helps the tummy as it makes you want to keep burping. Other things I have tried for morning sickness (isn't that the same as the flu):confused: is ginger tea and saltines. That should help the tummy too. As well as plain, white bread as it helps to absorb the acid running amuck in your tummy as well. Hope you feel better soon.:grouphug:

I can try to help you with choosing the right remedy if you give me some more specific symptoms. Also, do you have a good selection of remedies at home or would you need someone to go buy them from the store? If someone is going to the store, please have them pick up the Oscocillium in case anyone else in your family gets it. Then you'll have it on hand.

Tell me more about the body aches and your specific sinus issues. If you're stopped up, is it both nostrils? You have to sleep propped up? Does it alternate from side to side? Do you have a headache and if so what part of your head? Do you have a sore throat? Do you feel better with hot or cold liquids? Do you feel better after sleep or worse?

I also take Colloidal Silver in larger quantities than are on the bottle when I am really sick like with the flu or sinus infection. I only do it for 2-3 days.

If you are already up and about then you are probably past the worst of it but hopefully we can find a remedy to speed up the process. Chicken soup is a great idea too! Are you able to get some made from scratch. I think the real stuff is better. I like Biofreeze for muscle or neck/back pains. You could also try a cold compress. That's what my chiropractor recommends.

If you'd rather you can pm me with your symptoms. :001_smile:

Are you using a humidifier? The extra moisture in the air can help loosen up all the "stuff." And it's not homeopathic, but what helps me the most with body aches/muscle stiffness is advil. I had the flu last month and if I took advil I felt almost 100% normal until it wore off again. It would probably help reduce any inflammation in your neck, too. Other than the advil, a hot bath in a steamed-up bathroom helps.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Yogurt is excellent for your tummy and a number of other issues. We take the capsules Acidophilus sprinkled onto applesauce or yogurt, as a treatment and preventive here too. Vitamin B is excellent.

For the future, apple cider vinegar at the very beginning of a cold works well.

Hope you feel better today.:grouphug:

Everyone is so nice and sympathetic! Thanks Guys!:grouphug: No, I don't feel better today.

UGH! I have a sore throat, my congestion in my sinuses moves. I have to sleep propped up because I can't breath right if I don't. I have been doing the salt water gargle as well as cleaning my sinuses out with salt water. A friend of mine recommended garlic steeped in hot water. First to inhale it, and then to drink it. I'll admit, I'm afraid to drink it at this point. With all the drugs I've been taking, my stomach is precarious at best. And, I was wrong, the body aches have not gone away. I didn't take any meds right before bed last night and they wore off in the middle of the night.

So, anyway. I'm going to send hubby to the store for the Oscillococcinum - even if it's too late, it's worth a try. And more Chicken noodle soup, and Vit C. I'm also going to try the Apple Cider vinegar in the ears, cause they hurt and I can't imagine it will do any harm. :bigear: AND I'm going to try and add some garlic in there somewhere. I LOVE garlic so you think it wouldn't be a big deal. But I just couldn't bring myself to drink it.

Tammyla - I have Acidophilus pills. I just end up not taking anything once I get sick. I'm not sure why. I think I'll give it a try.

:lol:Ok, now I'm rhyming, so I better go get more rest. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm sure someone else on the boards is benefiting from this also.

Thanks Guys!

Other things I have tried for morning sickness (isn't that the same as the flu):confused:

Actually, influenza (flu for short) is a virus that causes fever and body aches, some stuffiness and cough, which in severe cases can lead to pneumonia (a secondary infection but it's what causes most flu deaths). The flu tends to last a while - longer than a cold, and doesn't usually involve the digestive tract.

I've only recently heard someone call a stomach virus a "stomach flu" (maybe it's regional?) - they're completely different. I tend to call the latter "the pukes". Ain't I refined? :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking the OP has the real kind, as she mentioned 3 days and body aches.