Menu

Private Speech Therapy

rainbowmama

Ds did speech at a school, but it was handled just like dd10s private therapy, so for us there wasn't a difference between school based/private.

He did speech for about 2 years (preK and K), but it was for maybe 25 weeks each time. He had 30-60 minute sessions.

He was young for his grade and part of his issue was age based, so it wouldn't have taken as long if we would have chose to wait.  He had normal sounds for a 5yo, but not normal for a kindergartener, so we had the choice to start therapy or wait a year to see if it cleared itself up with age. I decided to start him  in therapy, because I didn't want him getting teased. It was a fun experience for him and he really enjoyed the therapist. 

Two of my kids have had private speech for articulation plus my daughter had school speech. My boys had school speech and private speech.

It is going to be different for every child.

It will depend on specific issues. It will depend on your child's age.

My daughter was in school speech therapy for less than a year. One son had 4 years of school speech (including pre-school) and 2 years of private speech. (The 2 years of private and school speech overlapped.).

My youngest son is making slow but steady progress, he is in 3rd grade now. He has a developmental delay though so it's not something where if I put him in private speech he would make faster progress. He is making a good rate of progress for him. (He has had school speech since pre-school and I have had him in private speech on and off ---- he has an articulation delay but also other speech/language goals so it isn't "just articulation.")

Edit: for a child similar to my daughter I would estimate 6 months. I also saw a lot of kids in pre-school group speech with my older son exit after 6 months. For them though -- they might still have some articulation stuff, as they were still young kids, but the specifics of why they were in speech therapy would be improved.

Edited by Lecka

Totally individual. Could be a few months or several years.

My SN child had some articulation issues clear up almost immediately after she got her cochlear implant but the developmental ones like /w/ for /l/ and /r/ she's been working on for years (along with other language issues).