Menu

And yet another baby-naming thread

mykidsrmyjoy

We're expecting #6 in less than 4 weeks. We have a boy name picked out (I think) but are undecided for a girl. Both hubby and I like Leah Katherine or Leah Claire, but here's the deal: we already have an Ellia, which we pronounce as ELL-ia. We call her Ellie a lot of the time but have by no means quit using Ellia. Is Leah too similar? Any other suggestions for girl names?

If pass on Leah due to the similarity -- I think the irritation would grow with time, and possibly be conflictial between them as teens and young adults. (They'd probably grow out of it after that l, though.)

I'd try to think of longer names that start with something like the "Le-" syllable. There are lots of them, like "Lilanni" and "Lilly".

Too similar. Plus Leah Claire sounds like Lee Eclair. Oooh, that's almost Sara Lee Eclair! (Sorry, I have a weird brain.) 

Claire and Katherine are beautiful names. I'd choose one of those for the first name (or something else). Lydia? (Biblical, L, ends in a vowel. But Lydia Katherine.... because, eclair.)

• Like 1

I also feel they are way too similar. Claire and Katherine are both such beautiful first names I would go with one of those in a heartbeat.

You also never know what Ellia will decide to do later. She may love the nickname "Lia" prn "Leah" as a teen or she may end up not being a nn person and want to be called Ellia which to me sounds like you would have a "Leah" and "EL-leah" sound wise.