Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW48: Bookish notes and Birthdays

Robin M

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!! Beta!! We had quite a collection of movies on Beta!! It was so sad when we finally had to get rid of them. We nursed our Beta player along for years and years, long after everyone in the US had gone VHS.  And now so much is digital that we are reluctant to get a movie on DVD, only to discover that Netflix or Amazon Prime doesn't have what we want when we want it. Like War Games or Jaws.

Before one of our moves in the last few years, we gave away several of our DVDs, thinking we could just watch them on Amazon Prime or elsewhere. Big mistake. Some are only available on DVD. We had just presumed everything would be easy to find in a few years. We were wrong. 

• Like 6

I have finished my 52 book challenge! The 52nd book was What Made Maddy Run: the Secret Struggles and Tragic Death of an All-American Teen by Kate Fagan.

The book is a good book about a serious and heartbreaking topic. If you have experience with depression, anxiety, or suicidal ideation I would think twice about reading this book as it could trigger negative thoughts and emotions.

The book is insightful about the role of technology and modern societal expectations on young people. Obviously, much of what is discussed about this particular case is conjecture, pieced together through interviews, emails, and instant messages after the event but the author is respectful throughout and there is no victim shaming or survivor blaming. There were many times throughout the book in which I had to pause and reflect; my roles as DIII coach, college recruiter, and parent of young adults are all portrayed in the book. Once I became a coach I felt the weight of responsibility for my SAs and, now more than ever, that mantle is cumbersome.

I sincerely wish all potential students, student-athletes, parents, and coaches could read this book. 

• Like 8

I have finished my 52 book challenge! The 52nd book was What Made Maddy Run: the Secret Struggles and Tragic Death of an All-American Teen by Kate Fagan.

The book is a good book about a serious and heartbreaking topic. If you have experience with depression, anxiety, or suicidal ideation I would think twice about reading this book as it could trigger negative thoughts and emotions.

The book is insightful about the role of technology and modern societal expectations on young people. Obviously, much of what is discussed about this particular case is conjecture, pieced together through interviews, emails, and instant messages after the event but the author is respectful throughout and there is no victim shaming or survivor blaming. There were many times throughout the book in which I had to pause and reflect; my roles as DIII coach, college recruiter, and parent of young adults are all portrayed in the book. Once I became a coach I felt the weight of responsibility for my SAs and, now more than ever, that mantle is cumbersome.

I sincerely wish all potential students, student-athletes, parents, and coaches could read this book. 

Taking your advice and adding it my list cart right now. 

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4

I'm presuming there is no glorification of suicide in the book, correct? It can be a tricky balance. From the reviews I've read, there is not, but I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Not at all. Although the reader knows what will happen at the beginning of the book, it's only the last few pages where it is at the forefront. At that point, it's about her friends and family and their astonishment. Whereas the book attempts to present the events that lead up to Maddy's decision, it does so without really getting into the nitty gritty of things. It's difficult to explain. I didn't get the feeling of "Go, Maddy, go." but more of this is a heartbreaking situation that left everyone wondering why.

Honestly, I think the book is mostly about how Maddy was unable to communicate the level of her distress, either to herself or to those around her. It's almost like she lacked the terminology to express negative emotion.

• Like 5

Congrats on 52! Sounds like you end your challenge with a tough but worthy read. In contrast, I’m going to be hitting 52 with Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

Congrats on 52! Sounds like you end your challenge with a tough but worthy read. In contrast, I’m going to be hitting 52 with Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere.

It was a tough one. One thing (of many) I took away from the book is a quote from a research article that states that young adults who texted their parents had the same levels of cortisol (stress; high) and oxytocin (well-being; low) as those students who did not reach out to their parents. In contrast, the students who actually spoke to their parents had high levels of oxytocin and low levels of cortisol. The implications are far-reaching.

I'm going to try to look up the articles and see what the research says.

--

My next book, also grabbed just because I was intrigued by the cover, is The River of Consciousness by Oliver Sacks. I'm hoping it's a bit more upbeat. I guess what I am learning is that even though I have stepped away from teaching psychology I will always be a student of psychology.

• Like 5

It was a tough one. One thing (of many) I took away from the book is a quote from a research article that states that young adults who texted their parents had the same levels of cortisol (stress; high) and oxytocin (well-being; low) as those students who did not reach out to their parents. In contrast, the students who actually spoke to their parents had high levels of oxytocin and low levels of cortisol. The implications are far-reaching.

I'm going to try to look up the articles and see what the research says.

--

That's very interesting. Thank you for posting that. Something all parents need to know. 

• Like 5

Congratulations on 52!!! I just went and put a hold on What Made Mandy Run. Thank you for making the discovery of this book. It definitely sounds like one I need to read.

• Like 3

Continuing 2 books:

- the Mann family biography

I would have like a biography about Thomass Mann’s youth and life and writing of Buddenbrook more propably then this book.

- the book about Dvorak is - to me - not an easy just for bedtime read. I think I am missing some background knowledge to put this book in :)

• Like 2