Menu

Need appetizer recipes

I need to make appetizers for a crowd -- I have lots of "dip" type recipes, eaten with crackers or chips, etc. What I need now are recipes for "mix it up, drop spoonfuls on a pan, bake" or "make it, cut it, bake it, serve it "type foods.

I also need to not have to serve it right away. I have to make them, then they will sit for an hour. I will have access to a microwave oven though.

Ideas?

The Spinach ball recipe on the back of the Knorr Leek Soup box is excellent. My kids even like them!

Something fancy. Get a french bread loaf and some of the "fresh mozarella" from the gourmet cheese section and a jar of the roasted red peppers. Butter the bread and sprinkle with garlic powder, place a piece of roasted pepper on bread. bake until golden. Add small piece of the mozarella bread.

My husbands favorite... only if you like brie. Buy a small round of brie and at least 2 cans crescent roll dough. Unroll dough and cover brie with dough. Cover all over like you are paper macheing the thing. Smooth out and bake according to roll baking instructions. The brie inside will melt. Serve with crackers.

How about bruschetta? Chop tomatoes, lots of basil, salt/pepper, little balsamic and a little olive oil and mix it together. Toast under the broiler some chunks of french bread and rub it w/a piece of garlic. Set out the toasts, set out the bruschetta and let them serve themselves. Provolone or mozzarella is good to toast on the bread, too, although not necessary if you are trying to save time.

Edited by LauraGB

I don't have a recipe because of never made this myself but I have had it at many gatherings and really like it.

Basically it's crescent roll doll bake flat on a pan and then covered with cream cheese and fresh chopped veggies on top. I'm sure you could add spices to the cream cheese but I think that's the basic recipe.

Another thing I like is little smokies or meatballs in BBQ sauce. You can just stab them with a toothpick and pop them in your mouth.

That's all I can think of right now.

Mix one pound lean ground beef, some finely chopped onion, some course black pepper, an egg and some bread crumbs in a mixing bowl.

Heat equal parts ketchup and beer in a large sauce pan, stirring until mixed together.

Form the meat mixture into cocktail sized meatballs, and drop into the sauce. Simmer until meatballs are cooked through.

Amazingly simple and delish :001_smile:

A simple one is three ingredients. Sliced salami, green chiles from can and cream cheese. Slice the chiles into julienned strips (no too small, they really aren't all that hot). Put a dab of cream cheese on a piece of sliced salami and lay one strip of chile on the cheese. Roll up and impale with a toothpick to keep it rolled up. They are fast, children can help make them and disappear surprisingly quickly.

Mix cream cheese and chunky salsa to form a not runny mixture. Add sliced olives and chives if desired. Dump in some Mexican shredded cheese and stir. Spread this on flour tortillas (thinly) and roll them up and wrap in saran wrap. Put them in the frig till needed. Take them out and slice in 1" pieces and put out.

Here are a couple of easy peasy ones:

* Put a jar of chunky applesauce in a baking pan; add little smokies and sprinkle with dried minced onion. Bake until hot through. YUM!

* Put a bag of really good quality potatoe chips on an oven-proof tray/plate and then sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles. Heat lightly until cheese softens/melts.

* Heat a round of brie until it's oozy. Serve with crackers, roasted garlic, apple slices and/or grapes (thanks, natalieclare for this one!)

Edited by milovaný

You need

1 8 oz package of Philly cream cheese. It has to be full fat, I have tried alternatives and they just don't seem to work in this recipe.

3 small packages of that square sliced sandwich beef. You don't want the fancy deli stuff for this. You want the Leo's brand or something comparable.

Worcester (Can not spell this. It's from Leo/Perrins, and has paper around the bottle. You know the one I mean. You have been married a very long time if you are on your second bottle.) Sauce.

Horseradish in the bottle

So, you soften the cream cheese by leaving it out overnight. Stir in about 1 teaspoon of the sauce, and 2 teaspoons of the prepared horseradish with a fork.

Spread on the beef, layering one slice of beef, one thin coat of the mixture, one slice of beef, and one thin coat of the mixture. Roll up like a log and chill.

Shortly before serving, slice into little rounds with a sharp knife. Serrated works best.

No one has ever not liked this, in the history of mankind, I kid you not. My vegetarian cousin eats this--it's her 'exception' because it is so good.