Menu

Extended Family Gift Exchange

Help! I need some ideas for this! In my extended family, we have one couple without children and several families with children. In the past, we have tried various gift giving plans -- drawing names, drawing family names, buying small $5-$10 stocking stuffers for everyone, etc. None of those seem to fit this year; several people have expressed an interest in buying just for the children, but that excludes the family with no children (they, btw, have miscarried twice in the past 18 months, so it seems additionally cruel to exclude them b/c of their absence of kids!). No one is willing to sponsor a needy family/child or to make a charitable donation (don't even get me started on the comments I've gotten there!!).

Does anyone have a perfect solution for me?!

Thanks!!

Shelly

Grandparents/parents buy for kids/grandkids.

Grown siblings buy for each other. That way the kidless folks should get something from their siblings and parents.

Beyond that - if folks WANT to buy for everyone, they can.

That way everyone should get something!

(I am assuming that the kids will get more loot from their own parents/Santa at home before or after the Big Family gathering, so they do NOT need a toy from everyone at the gathering!)

I give cookies trays to everyone at our gatherings of all my in-laws.

White elephant gifts!

Our favorite is the recycled gifts--great for a laugh. We've used coffee cups, books, gross items, new items, etc. Set the expectation for a price point, wrap gift and let person #1 choose item. Person #2 can choose new item or grab #1's gift. Any gift can move three times before it has a new owner. We get so much laughter from re-used gifts. It's a favorite for our extended family.

It's best to do young children separately, or a traditional gift exchange.

Edited by Tracey in TX

dh's side: Everyone has at least one kid.

each kid draws a kids name to buy for

each adult(the siblings and husbands/wives) draws an adults name (we are all buying for dh's mom)

my side: Not everyone has kids.

We are all buying for all of the kids

The adults are doing a dirty santa gift exchange with a homemade item of some sort. Each adult brings an item. We each draw a number. Pick a wrapped gift. Next person can steal it or pick a wrapped present. Each gift can be stolen 2 times. My parents are participating in this, along with siblings and their spouses.

We thought that would make for a fun time. People I know of are making fudge, homemade vanilla, one guy makes lamps from horseshoes and I'm probably going to do festive pretzels dipped in chocolate, maybe some hot chocolate mixes or banana bread.

Edited by snickelfritz

I like the other ideas, but would add that if you know about special circumstances, like the couple losing their babies, then not matter what plan takes form, you can still send along something from your heart...

a well thought out card with special note along with something small if money is tight... ?? Thank you for caring about each one!!

On dh's side of the family, we exchange names for all of the grown-ups and each person is assigned a name. Everyone buys presents for the kids separately. It's worked really well for us. :001_smile:

That's exactly what we do in our extended family!!

Someone started this idea 15 years ago and we've done it ever since because it works so well!! And our 'presents for the kids' rule has a $30 spending limit.