Menu

Maybe hormones & hot flashes?

Soror

Trying to figure out wth is going on with my body.

Bunny trail number 20.

Talking to a friend she said it sounds like I'm having hot flashes. Now, it doesn't feel like the hormonal surges I've had post baby, but WTH do I know. Last I checked a few months ago my hormones were good. I had thought maybe I'd entered peri after the last baby but it had seemed all was straightened out a year ago. I'm 38. Cycles are 25 days as of 3 months ago, were 28-29 days previously. Day of my period and ovulation kick my butt, 5 ways to Sunday. Period lasts 3 about days, 1 heavy day, 1 med, 1 light/spotting. Ovulation signs are strong.

A month or so ago I started randomly turning red and getting really hot, from my neck up. Usually, this is over fairly quickly although Sunday I awoke beet red and it was intense for about an hour and lingered a few hours. Sometimes my body feels hot too and sometimes it is cold, it is more concentrated in my face. Body temp is not elevated when I check. I'm getting off and on nausea too, sometimes intensely enough I just don't feel like eating but I'm trying to force regular meals as that seems to help. I'm also having a hard time tolerating exercise, I get overheated really easily, like 5 min. -10 min of light bodyweight training and I feel like I'm going to puke. I think maybe certain positions are worse, but that is a recent theory that I haven't tested after my last episode got me so close to puking. I have been a regular exerciser(years) but my body is not tolerating it well now. I am doing ok with light work, gardening, walking etc as long as I don't push too much.

Pregnancy tests are negative. 

Does this sound like anyone else's experience with perimenopause??? Could my hormones have flipped in a couple of months time, should I get them checked again? 

• Like 1

The nausea is part of my experience with peri.  Ginger ale helps and mints or spearmint leaves.  Plus bland food.  It goes off and on in its intensity.  For awhile, I couldn't deal with smells either, and no cumin in anything.  YMMV  It reminds me a lot of pregnancy nausea, but not.  TMI, perhaps, but brushing my teeth now is constant gagging.  I hate it.  And I'm on low dose bcp, so my hormones are as regulated as they're going to be.

And I only had hot flashes at night when a medication was interfering with my bcp, so I'm no help there.

((hugs))

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 1

It sounds very similar to how I started having hot flashes, yes. Same age and all, same/very close to same length & frequency of periods. When I had my first one, it was not a "flash" but was the lingering, "oh my goodness I am so freaking hot, something is really wrong with me, I feel nauseated, I Need to lie down..." for about an hour or so. After a comment from a friend, I thought, "Oh.....hot flashes? Really??" but my dh insisted I go to the doctor, and she confirmed...yep, hot flashes. 

I think my hormones were still in the normal range, so just starting to lower/whatever they actually do, but yes. Welcome to perimenopause. 

For the exercising, and in general, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, and see if a certain time of day is better or worse. For me, morning is usually worse for things like that but by afternoon/evening, it's okay. Maybe switching up the timing of your exercise will help. 

• Like 1

Sounds about the same as me right now. I'm 43 and I get nauseous and smells bother me esp around ovulation. Periods are getting erratic and heavy. And I used to always be cold and would put on a sweatshirt and long underwear and sleep on flannel sheets. Not anymore ...

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m 45 and get nauseous around ovulation and right before my period. I haven’t started hot flashes yet. It sounds like that’s likely what you’re experiencing. Though maybe consider having your thyroid checked if it hasn’t been recently? Overheating and heat intolerance can be a sign of thyroid issues.

• Like 1

That's not how my hot flashes are. I'm 49 and have been in peri for several years now. Mine are just an internal heating of my entire body for about 30 seconds to a minute. Happens a lot at night. It wakes me up, I throw off he covers for a couple minutes, then I'm cold again, pull up the covers and fall back asleep.

• Like 1

The nausea is part of my experience with peri.  Ginger ale helps and mints or spearmint leaves.  Plus bland food.  It goes off and on in its intensity.  For awhile, I couldn't deal with smells either, and no cumin in anything.  YMMV  It reminds me a lot of pregnancy nausea, but not.  TMI, perhaps, but brushing my teeth now is constant gagging.  I hate it.  And I'm on low dose bcp, so my hormones are as regulated as they're going to be.

And I only had hot flashes at night when a medication was interfering with my bcp, so I'm no help there.

((hugs))

Yes, it does remind me of pregnancy which is why I keep testing but then it shows up negative. I don't get it. No gagging here, thanfully, that has to be maddening. Specific foods don't seem to bother me, more I don't want to eat at all but then that seems to make it worse so I'm forcing myself to eat, which seems to be helping. My appetite is wonky.

It sounds very similar to how I started having hot flashes, yes. Same age and all, same/very close to same length & frequency of periods. When I had my first one, it was not a "flash" but was the lingering, "oh my goodness I am so freaking hot, something is really wrong with me, I feel nauseated, I Need to lie down..." for about an hour or so. After a comment from a friend, I thought, "Oh.....hot flashes? Really??" but my dh insisted I go to the doctor, and she confirmed...yep, hot flashes. 

I think my hormones were still in the normal range, so just starting to lower/whatever they actually do, but yes. Welcome to perimenopause. 

For the exercising, and in general, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, and see if a certain time of day is better or worse. For me, morning is usually worse for things like that but by afternoon/evening, it's okay. Maybe switching up the timing of your exercise will help. 

Ya, I need to drink more water and I think you are right some times might work better than others. 

Sounds about the same as me right now. I'm 43 and I get nauseous and smells bother me esp around ovulation. Periods are getting erratic and heavy. And I used to always be cold and would put on a sweatshirt and long underwear and sleep on flannel sheets. Not anymore ...

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I've not noticed smells being an issue but the nausea did worsen around ovulation. I'll have to watch it more and see if there is a pattern.

I’m 45 and get nauseous around ovulation and right before my period. I haven’t started hot flashes yet. It sounds like that’s likely what you’re experiencing. Though maybe consider having your thyroid checked if it hasn’t been recently? Overheating and heat intolerance can be a sign of thyroid issues.

I have thyroid disease but my numbers were just checked in Oct and good.

That's not how my hot flashes are. I'm 49 and have been in peri for several years now. Mine are just an internal heating of my entire body for about 30 seconds to a minute. Happens a lot at night. It wakes me up, I throw off he covers for a couple minutes, then I'm cold again, pull up the covers and fall back asleep.

I was late 30s when mine started.  The hot flashes were like creeping up my head....into my hair and just generally freaky.  It came with anxiety.  I had some extreme trauma at about age 44 that I feel pushed me over the edge and past menopause.

Yes, since the last baby I've had some off/on cyclical anxiety of varying intensity. I wouldn't say I had extreme trauma but extreme stress that I think has factored into everything.

• Like 1